NHS app and vaccination passport.

I just logged into my Patient Access account. It shows both my covid jabs.

Reply to
Tim Streater

QR codes work fine with my Motorola. It's not always completely reliable for photographing cheques, to bank them using the Barclays app. So my wife has to do that on her iPhone 6.

Reply to
newshound

So what? I'm talking about the UK. It can't be done retrospectively if there's no secure identity with the inoculation records.

What? This proves simply that the phone is mine, what on earth has it got to do with connecting me with records confirming that I've had a Covid-19 inoculation?

You haven't understood still have you?

Somewhere out there is a record (hopefully) that someone has injected 'fred' with Covid-19 vaccine. Now 'fred' comes along with his mobile phone and says, here's my mobile phone. There needs to be some secure way of connecting the two. How is this secure connection made? There's no image of 'fred' with the inoculation record.

Reply to
Chris Green

It still depends on 'me' proving the app is on 'my' phone. This is the bit that I don't understand really (though I'm not totally convinced that the NHS records are so securely related to a particular person).

How do you guarantee that the mobile phone that has the 'inoculation passport' on it is that of the person whose NHS record says that they have been inoculated? It's not like a passport which has a picture of 'me' in it. I can own lots of mobile phones, I can transfer them to other people, I can change the fingerprint that unlocks them, mobile phones are *not* locked for ever to their current owners.

Reply to
Chris Green

Lucky you, I wish I could do the same. My GP practice says it can't provide this access because of privacy/data protection concerns.

... and, as I said in my previous response, how do you now guarantee that the mobile phone you're carrying around is 'yours' and that you haven't copied the "I've been inoculated" flag from someone else's NHS records.

Reply to
Chris Green

No, but there might be only one person with easy access to Fred?s address, DOB, CHI number, NI number etc.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You seem obsessed with absolutes. No system is absolutely secure or impossible to circumvent. As long as the majority of users can be accurately identified surely that?s ?good enough??

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Well I know those for several people, nothing very private about them within a family.

So you're effectively saying the whole family can use a single person's inoculation to allow them all to have this "I've had the inoculation" app on their phone.

Reply to
Chris Green

Can't see why anyone would have faked their identity when getting the vaccination.

That was a comment on your query about them already having your fingerprint or face.

We'll see...

Fred doesn?t get anything on his mobile phone.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Clearly not a problem with digital passports and driver's licenses.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Nothing is perfect. Yes, you can probably be fairly certain that the record you have identified in the NHS databases is 'yours'.

However I still can't see how having an app installed in a mobile phone which is *not* in any way locked to my identity will prove that I've had the inoculation.

While some people may think their mobile phone is permanently and inexorably locked to themselves it most certainly isn't true. There (presumably) won't be a requirement to show the phone with the inoculation app on it is yours will there? How would you prove that? There's no inherent requirement in Android that you can only unlock your phone with face recognition or fingerprint and even if there was these can be changed if/when you transfer the phone to someone else.

Reply to
Chris Green

It would be possible, in the same way you could log into your banking app and give your phone to someone else. It might look a bit odd though when an opposite sexed partner or a child tries to use your phone to prove vaccination.

Do you use a banking app? Never had authentication codes sent to your phone? Do you fret that this isn?t secure enough?

Arguably, it isn?t, but most of us using on line banking anyway. Proving covid vaccination I would suggest is way less critical that securing your bank account.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It isnt something loaded onto just one phone in that sense.

Works fine with digital passports and driver's licenses and would work just as well with a vaccination passport.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Because they want something that can be read in the E-Gates so they don't need a bloke or lady in an indoor hut....

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

This must be bollocks, since Patient Access is a service provided via my GP practice. It's also how I order repeat prescriptions.

Well that will be moot when the iPhone I have becomes obsolete or the battery packs up, as I shan't be replacing it.

How would I do that. And it has the details of the jab: type, place.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Why?

I walk up to passport control with my (digital or not) passport and a mobile phone. The passport has a photograph of me on it and, maybe, even more specific identity information which proves pretty certainly it's my passport. OK, that's good.

What sort of proof is there that that the phone which has the covid-19 passport on it is mine? ... or that the covid-19 app on it is connected to my inoculation record?

Reply to
Chris Green

No, bacause I'm afraid someone will steal my phone and get at my money. **Exactly** the same issue!! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

No reason why it cant have your photo too.

Verified the same way as is done with digital passports and digital driver's licences.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

No one can steal my iphone and get my money.

And I cant lose the phone and have my money stolen either.

Nope.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Correct - at last.

However, there is an issue that appears not yet to have been appreciated. Other than Wales using the same track and trace app as England, there is no other commonality of apps across the four nations. Whether "NHS app" or "NHS track and trace app".

Using "the NHS app" means "using the NHS England app". Which is only available in England. And, because it is tied into the GP systems, it is more complex than a change of some parameter in the app distribution system.

We also have questions over people who got vaccinated outside their GP surgery. For example, NHS staff - especially those who live in one nation but work in another. Or received one when they were abroad. And there will be many other possible issues - even if individually rare.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google