NHS contact tracing app

If you could spell it correctly it might be a start....

Reply to
Jimk

Not me ;-)

Reply to
Jimk

Its woddles!

Reply to
Jimk

Be a bit stupid to reveal all their anti-abuse strategies though?

Reply to
Jimk

I am curious to know how some people on the Isle of Wight are presumably able to download the NHS contact tracing app whereas I can not see in on the Playstore website.   I am actually in Wales at the moment, and as yet the Welsh government has not decied to use the app. It could be that the app is just not called NHS Covid-19 on the Playstore.

Reply to
Michael Chare

They may not be downloading the app from the play store or iTunes. However once it is available through the usual sources I cannot see why someone in Wales will not be able to download it just because the Welsh government is not supporting its use.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

They will be given details on how to down load the app from the government. It wont be available on the Play Store for a few weeks.

Google and Apple plan on making a tracing app part of their OS, so say goodbye to any hope of privacy.

Reply to
Dex

Why would you want to download it if you're the only user? Defeats the objective of the app.

Reply to
Dex

So what happens to people who don' have a smart phone? Do they get a free one?

Reply to
harry

There is an advantage to using a non-supported Windows Phone.

Reply to
John

I am still using a Nokia 3310. Apart from that I wouldnt volantarily download anything that tracks me if I can possibly avoid it.

Reply to
ss

In the press today there seems to be some discussion/speculation about computability - the NHS and the Google/Apple tracker being completely separate. Speculation is about when lockdown lifts considerably is there a possibility that you wont be let into countries that use the google/apple method if you use UK system.

Is there any reason why people who have no concerns over privacy should not use both?

Reply to
Chris B

Or a new Huawei phone.

Reply to
Dex

nope

They're allowed to get killed by the disease

It is, of course, a lot more complicated than you suggest.

I'm still wondering if this app has been written for older versions of operating systems or if half the population are going to get told "this app requires you to upgrade to version XX of your OS"

I've also seen talk of a solution (not necessarily this one) needing BT 4. Which most phones aren't going to have.

tim

Reply to
tim...

No

they are going to make some parts of the OS work without having to authorise access, so that the app can work without user intervention

but the user will still have to download a bespoke App

tim

Reply to
tim...

AIUI the NHSX app is only being tested by NHS staff on the IoW, not Joe Public there, maybe they have a closed community on the play store?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Going purely by what GOOG/AAPL say about their apps (and you would be right to check what they say) then their approach would only store the info of other phones you've been near on *your* phone, not on a centralised database like the NHSX app.

when or if you get a positive test, then the info stored on your phone would need to be processed to warn those other people.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The most reently released Huawei phone is a Google phone "Huawei P30 Lite New Edition"

Reply to
Andy Burns

How long until other apps manage to latch onto the new tracking feature in the base O/S?

Reply to
Andy Burns

You have nevered paid for anything, as your lot: maxwell, shipman, gacy, epstein, philips, fox, liddle.... traitors, peadophiles, racists, hate preaches, sponger parasites bastard blood line

Reply to
Fritz Wuehler