OT...Warning! Your Samsung tv is listening to you

Samsung is warning customers to avoid discussing personal information in front of their smart television set.

The warning applies to TV viewers who control their Samsung Smart TV using its voice activation feature.

Such TV sets 'listen' to every conversation held in front of them and may share any details they hear with Samsung or third parties, it said.

Privacy campaigners said the technology smacked of the telescreens, in George Orwell's 1984, which spied on citizens.

Bod

This is why I deleted the FaceBook app from my phone:

Tim Watts

Yes, I've always thought that Farcebook was dodgy in that way.

Reply to
Bod

It's just the app - if you use FB via a web browser it works nearly as well in mobile mode (except for the lack of convenience of posting pics).

However, being curious - I just checked Chrome on android and it has claimed permissions to grab the mic without asking (how rude!!) - so I am really not sure if that means a website can run funky javascript to get audio or not???

Must check some other browsers...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Obviously what's needed is to use a Samsung TV instead of the pro microphones they used on Jamaica Inn, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Here is a link to the actual Samsung document so people don't have to drill down to find it.

And why are the BBC citing The Daily Beast, rather than the Samsung document?

Reply to
Graham.

I've just read this in the Telegraph. Are they serious ?

"Television companies advise users who are concerned to avoid discussing 'personal' matters in their livings rooms."

I have a Samsung SmartTV UE32EH5300 but can find nothing in the menus about 'Voice recognition.' Does anyone know which models are affected whilst I wait for Samsung, who have no doubt been innudated with queries?

Reply to
Andy Cap

Only some models - more recent one I think - our 2012 plasma doesn't have anything like that.

Should be able find manual etc. on the samsung website if you can't find yours.

Reply to
Chris French

I did find, what I think was the correct e-Manual, 800+ pages, and Find didn't come up with Voice recognition so I think you're right.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Quite a few I expect but the sets are likely to have a very weird idea of what is going on in your personal life if the state of the art TV realtime voice to subtitles in football commentary is anything to go by!

Fork handles vs four candles pretty much sums it up.

Reply to
Martin Brown

On 09/02/2015 20:42, Martin Brown wrote: ...

My dentist's waiting room has a TV with that feature for the news channel. The most entertaining bit is trying to work out what the presenter actually said.

Reply to
Nightjar

I think this is really funny. This has all the makings of a 'company innovation causes loss of sales. I am sure there will be no end of terrible puns in headlines and Samsung will t be the butt of it all.

Its not the first time unforseen things have happened though I had a talking clock from the 80s made by Sharp, and when it got confused it would play bits of recorded speech that apparently were on its chip. Unfortunately it tended to always find the Japanese versions, but occasionally you could hear some oriental woman speaking in English, a few words about how xxxxxx boring this was. It used real voice segments to make up its speech, unlike the very early ones which were totally digital and sounded like it.

It long since died though, with some kind of terminal continuous resetting. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Must say I'm pretty impressed with Google's speech recognition on my mobile. I rarely type anything these days

Reply to
stuart noble

I am slightly surprised that they didn't include a requirement for any command to start with a specific command word, possibly user programmable. I would have thought that listening for only one word would have simplified the processing.

Reply to
Nightjar

I'm surprised that the speech to text translation can't be done inside the TVs own electronics. Why does it have to be sent to a third party?

Reply to
Bod

Because it's hard to do it quickly and effectively with the processing power available.

Modern mobiles have very good voice recognition (well Apple and Android does, I've not had the chance to try it on Windows Phone) but they rely on an Internet connection to do the work on the server.

Though I guess in time as they get more powerful and the software gets better it will move to the device.

Reply to
Chris French

Chris French put finger to keyboard:

That, and fine-tuning the recognition is more achievable when you've got hundreds of thousands of samples.

Reply to
Scion

Is four candles the average illumination level on the set of Wolf Hall?

Reply to
Adam Aglionby