Toilet overflow pipe slope (also B&Q PVC cement WTF)

Yesterday I changed the float valve (I think the previous one lasted for 12 years or so) in the toilet & also discovered that the overflow pipe was soaking our "picnic deck" & splashing all over the garden (which is muddy enough already). Extending the pipe down & around to a more convenient outlet is not urgent but is on the to-do list.

Is there a rule of thumb for the minimum slope it needs to have in order to avoid the risk of freezing? (This is 21.5 mm PVC. The current pipe sticks straight out through the brick wall.)

BTW, I went to B&Q today yesterday to get the float valve & various other things, & thought I'd go ahead & get some pipe, elbows, & couplins for extending the pipe. After looking in the same area for several minutes for the PVC cement, I gave up & asked someone, who told me to ask at the tills for it, because it's in the "hazardous cabinet". (OK, it's an age-restricted item.) So I took everything up to one of the non-self-service tills & asked the guy for it. He said he didn't know but would scan everything else then find it. Then he asked someone else, who tried to open his hazardous cabinet but it was locked. Then she looked in another cabinet, then came back with the keys ... then said she'd go look. About 10 minutes later, she came back & asked "Do you have a trade card?"

"No."

"We only sell that in the trade counter."

"So you have it in the store but you only sell it to trade customers?"

"That's right. I'm sorry. I think Screwfix will sell it to you."

Huh?!

Reply to
Adam Funk

Adam Funk wrote in news:j2vmqbxuli.ln2 @news.ducksburg.com:

Ridiculous!

Why not change the flush unit to one that overflows into the bowl? Incidentally, an overflow pipe is now called a "warning pipe" - it is supposed to annoy and motivate you to fix it. It should never overflow if things are properly adjusted and maintained.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It has been at 12 years since it last overflowed. But I don't keep a spare float valve in stock for that, so when it does overflow --- or warn --- it's pretty annoying for a day or 2.

I'd prefer the modern type of flush unit, but this is an ancient dual syphonic toilet & I don't think any set of innards other than the traditional one will work.

Reply to
Adam Funk

In message , at 15:07:31 on Mon, 9 Feb 2015, Adam Funk remarked:

Don't they also own Screwfix?

Anyway, when I last went to B&Q to buy said PVC solvent glue, I gave up because I couldn't find it on the shelves. When checking out they asked "did you find everything you wanted today" - to which I was able to answer "seeing as you've asked, no..." And then they explained that it was only for sale on demand at the tills, and went and fetched me some.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Reply to
Adam Funk

I've had that same experience in B&Q with solvent glue. And also years ago with Hammerite thinner. It would help if they put a sign on the shelf, or something.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Yes, it should be marked. And I can understand why they have precautions, even the empty bottle at Wickes (they don't want people opening the bottles & huffing them in the store, I guess). What I can't fathom is having an item in stock but only selling it to trade account customers. Anyway, now I know to buy it somewhere else, which means next time I need to do any solvent-weld overflow pipe maintenance, I'll end up buying the pipe & fittings somewhere else too.

Reply to
Adam Funk