Samsung TV

My brother just bought a Samsung HDTV which is supposed to have a red "frame" around the screen which lights up. His does not light up and he thinks there is something wrong with his set. I say there must be a way to turn the light for that frame on or off.

Does anyone have a Samsung with this feature, and if so can you turn that frame on and off, and if so, how?

Thanks,

Freckles

Reply to
Freckles

Assuming that you are referring to the ToC feature... Ours has never "lit up." It seems to be just a reddish tint in the frame which becomes noticeable under some lighting conditions. I've never seen more than a dull red tint. (I see that Samsung calls it amber.)

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Thanks,

My brother reread the info. and you are correct, the frame does not light up.

Thanks,

Freckles

Reply to
Freckles

I don't mean to be a jerk, this is a serious question. Could you do me a favor and ask your brother why in the hell he would WANT his TV frame to light up? This has baffled me since the first time I saw a commercial for one...

Reply to
Larry The Snake Guy

Yea! It has puzzled me too. I don't think he wants the frame to light up, but thought there may be something wrong with his set since it did not.

He has since found out, as another poster has stated, that the frame is not supposed to light up.

Only under certain ambient light conditions it will apparently show a dim red halo around the picture area. Why? I don't have any idea, but I'm sure Sansung had a reason for putting it there.

Freckles

Reply to
Freckles

Cause it is better to view with a little light than total blackness in the room. Easier on the eyes.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

My Samsung has a light in the bottom of the frame that casts a small light down onto the base. But it is programmable -always on/ on when tv is on/ always off. I found it distracting and programmed it off.

Reply to
Red

My Samsung has a light in the bottom of the frame that casts a small light down onto the base. But it is programmable -always on/ on when tv is on/ always off. I found it distracting and programmed it off.

I agree, my brother's TV has a silver frame around the screen and I find it more distracting than my Sharp that has a plain black frame.

Reply to
Mark

Hmm, That is why there is night mode. Also this mode saves energy.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Our old Panasonic had silver frame. New Panasonic has piano black smooth frame which we like better.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

A long time ago we had a Sylvania tv set. It had a feature called Halo Light. A faint glow around the pix tube and built into the frame. Didn't do much for me.

Reply to
Chuck

Chuckle. The computer screen gives enough ambient light for me to navigate around the room when the TV is on.

Other than pitch from the interior designers who thought it looked cool, I think the theory was that it was tiring to watch a screen in a dark room, because your eyes were constantly trying to see stuff in the dark part of the room as well. Traditionally, this was handled by turning on a small light elsewhere in the room, or dimming the overhead lights if they had a dimmer. With some flat screens, especially the kewl shiny ones, that leads to annoying reflections. A non-point source to the side of the screen avoids those problems. This is a cousin to the traditional office problem of glare on the computer screens at work, or glare from the overhead lights making the POS terminal in a store impossible to read. (The pharmacy counter at my drug store is like that, since the terminal lays flat on the counter.)

In my family's 1956 house, my father put a band of blond hardwood around the top of the drapes on the picture window, and a couple of single-bulb flourescents behind it, so they would bounce off the ceiling and the closed drapes. Very effective. A common technique in that era- not sure why it died out. Probably have to be real careful about dimensions and layout to keep from setting the drapes on fire, I guess. I haven't seen room lights like that in decades. I miss the late-50's modern look.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers