Wiring 'Dual Master' motion sensing lights

I picked up a pair of Heath/Zenith Dual Brite Motion sensing porch lights. Mod# sl-4151-br1-b. The kind you can set to stay on dim all night but turn on bright when motion is detected.

I'm going to mount them either side of the 2 car garage door. I want to wire them so that if either unit detects motion they both turn on.

The directions call this a "dual master system" but don't tell you how to do it.

The lights have a black, white and red wire. Directions say: One light, use black/white. Two lights, use black/white and the red is the hot to second light. Two motion sensing lights, use white/black and the red is the hot to the second(slave) motion sensing light tied to both its black and red.

I figure i will need a third conductor between the two lights (got a roll of 14/3 laying around). but how do you wire it up so either will turn the other on?

p.s. if it matters, the red is actually a pigtail off a red and a black going to the motion sensor.

Reply to
charbroil bad

Directions are pretty clear to me.

These lights are designed to operate in pairs form one switch. One light acts as the master doing the controling and the second is the slave. Since you want to run them seperately. Run a 14-2 with ground from your powered switch source for light 1 and another run from switch 2 to light 2. Connect the ground and the black and whites to their colors on the feed wire and you now have two master fixtures.

Ignore the rest of the directions. Please turn off the correct breaker before making the connections.

Reply to
SQLit

Yes. But, the directions mention a "dual master" setup allowing motion detected by either lamp to turn them BOTH on. This is the setup I want.

I don't want them to run seperately. I want to daisy chain the sensors so detection by either sensor turns on both lights.

Thanks for trying.

Reply to
charbroil bad

replying to charbroil bad, Ed wrote: This is exactly what I want to do, it gives you no instructions on how to do this. I have to motion sensors on either side of my garage. I want either one of the motions to get gone all three lights. What I mean by all three lights I have a wall pack that I want to kick on when motion is detected from either fixture.

Reply to
Ed

Perhaps by "Dual master motion sensing lights" they mean you can have two of them (dual), but only one of them acts as the master. That is the lights are dual, work together, but only one is master. If the instructions only say how to wire it up like that, not where either one can trigger the other, that may be what they mean. Try calling or emailing their support?

Reply to
trader_4

I have 2 heads feeding the same set of lights, no problem. Just be sure they are on the same circuit.

Reply to
gfretwell

To make two lights function as Masters (meaning both lights illuminate whenever either sensor is triggered) they usually have a red wire in each fixture which need to be connected to each other. This usually requires a separate wire running parallel with the hot/neutral/ground wire. The reds must be connected together.

Reply to
Meanie