Samsung TV psu

Just a note for those that care ..

Have had 3 Samsung LCD TVs fail recently (2 mine 1 of parents) ... all out of warranty, in each case the PSU has failed.

Also in each case it has been the capacitors that had failed, I guess these are switched mode PSU's and those are hard working caps rather than just smoothing.

Luckily have a good local TV repair shop who replace the capacitors with uprated units, so repairs are not too expensive.

TV repairman advised almost all failures on Samsung are on the PSU .. and although having great screens and display electronics they have very unreliable PSU's ... he feels they manufacture to a cost using parts that will only just do they job, last as long as warranty only.

Although he gets a lot of failures, the faults are usually repairable, whereas Sony & Panasonic faults are often too expensive and therefore terminal.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anybody gets a Samsung TV fail on them.

Reply to
rick

Thanks, useful. I have one, nearly a year old!

Reply to
Bob Eager

My 24" Samsung monitor died not far out of warranty - PSU. I ordered replacement caps, but also had to order another monitor immediately (an Acer), and have not got around to fixing the Samsung yet. Samsung was a very nice display when it worked.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

According to some people, Sony are not very helpful, but Panasonic more so with out of warranty issues. Seems odd to me that if one company can offer olive branches, that others seem loathe too. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I found your post very interesting. Thank you. I have two Samsung LCD TVs, both of which are a couple of years old and still working, fortunately. As a matter of interest, is it relatively simple to detach the PSU? Or do you have to take the whole TV to your repairman? I ask because one of my TVs is in another country, and I'm not sure if I could find a repair shop there.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Do you mean Panasonic are more unhelpful than Sony? (ie "but" = "and")

Reply to
Reentrant

I just took TV into repair shop ... initially was Fathers TV, found them so good & honest did same for mine when time came. Advantage is repair is then tested and warrantied. Plus he always puts any f/ware upgrades onto the set.

Reply to
rick

Hmm, so are you suggesting that we should buy Samsungs because they are "reliably unreliable"? ;-)

No problems with our 4 yr old Panasonic (so far!).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That's just Sony being true to their nature, money grabbing rip off merchants.

Examples: proprietry flasm memory format (memory stick), buying out Apple Record's back catalogue and their infamous DRM enforcement Rootkit malware placed on some 50 of their top selling music CDs that infected windows PCs used _merely_ as a convenient means of listening to the music with absolutley no intent to rip the music tracks.

Basically, they're just the most charmless of Japanese companies in existence.

Reply to
Johny B Good

On 21/11/2014 15:21, Tim+ wrote: Just thought I'd mention it in case anybody gets a Samsung TV fail on them.

Not suggesting anything other than if you have a faulty Samsung - consider the PSU caps.

As Samsung sell more TV's than any other manufacturer (in UK at least) then you would expect a higher number of that make.

I have 4 Samsung TV's in the house and 3 Samsung monitors .... would not buy anything else, used to buy Panasonic ... but not any more.

Reply to
rick