Grenfell and gas pipes.

Roland Perry wrote:

Not that the Grenfell fridge was /on/ any recall list ...

But it could have been. There's 200k incendiary tumble dryers still out there.
--
Roland Perry

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 18:03:37 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Which? have a list...
mechanic wrote:

And how long has Hotpoint FF175BP been on it?

It's driers that seem to be mentioned often as the cause of fires. But then the meja do tend to latch on to one thing. Used to be chip pans.
You'd have to work out the costs of doing these inspections. On the many thousands of high rise flats. Almost certainly not cost effective. Since there is no evidence such an inspection could have prevented the Grenfell fire.
--
*Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time *

Dave Plowman wrote:

Which? did an FOI request on fires caused by household appliances
<http://www.which.co.uk/news/2013/09/tvs-more-likely-to-catch-fire-than-irons-332851/ > Used to be chip pans.
Dangerous things ... I know of a fire service whose mobile chip pan demonstration unit burnt down!
On Thursday, 13 July 2017 10:17:55 UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:

Who's fault would it be if the person renting owns the appliance rather than whoever rents the property. Also many fires are started from faulty chargers etc... So if such a test revealed that a person has dangerous chargers would they be taken away, would the owner have to buy new complient ones who'd ensure this? Is it teh job of teh govenrment the person renting or the landlord ?

In most cases it wouldn't, a visual check would be more likely to find serious faults.

but, a visual check is part of the PAT procedure.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On Thursday, 13 July 2017 11:21:56 UTC+1, charles wrote:

Doesn't matter, if I see a damaged cable or whatever I don't need to be a PAT tester to be able to say it shouldn't be used. In fact I have about 50 or so items out in the lab which I've labled not to be used.
remarked:

Get whatever CORGI is called this week to explain how they deal with annual inspections of gas appliances in rented houses.

PAT-testing of many items *is* just a visual check.
--
Roland Perry

On Thursday, 13 July 2017 11:42:18 UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:

No it's not. A PAT test would give you at the very least the Earth resistance, in the past I;ve had items that have failed this.
https://www.pattesters.co.uk/martindale-easypat-1600-pat-tester?fee=7&fep 32&gclidIaIQobChMIqt701o6Q1QIVpbXtCh0KDQHGEAYYASABEgJntfD_BwE
If all you need is to look just get a paair of glasses or a webcam.
remarked:

How does that work with appliance where the earth pin is a bit of plastic?

mmm... webcams in all council flats. What could possibly go wrong?
--
Roland Perry

On Monday, 17 July 2017 12:22:28 UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:

or when it's metal but the earth connection is in no way acessible at the other end, as with some wallwarts

Why does he argue so much when he has not a clue.
NT
On Monday, 17 July 2017 12:22:28 UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:

Check with someone that does PAT testing. It;s pretty much teh same with applienaces that are 50V or less, thais doesn't mean they can't catch fire or cause damage, none of the samsung phones could be PAT tested. And string at them wouldnlt have told yuo eiterh so a visual PAT test wouldn't have shown the faults, that doesnlt mean there weren't any.

Or what could go right depending on yuor aims.
Maybe a web cam on the applience that went faulty may have raised an alarm quicker in Grenfell tower
On Monday, 17 July 2017 11:33:55 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

Some are.
A PAT test would give you at the very least the Earth resistance, in the past I;ve had items that have failed this.
not always
NT
On Monday, 17 July 2017 13:26:42 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

nd serious faults.

No they aren't a PAT test is an actual test. A visual test is a visual test . Just the same as you can with a MOT test, such as smashed lights, broken wo ndscreen.
Portable appliance testing (PAT) is the term used to describe the examinati on of electrical appliances and equipment to ensure they are safe to use. M ost electrical safety defects can be found by visual examination but some t ypes of defect can only be found by testing.

past I;ve had items that have failed this.

WTF do you mean by that.
On Monday, 17 July 2017 13:40:10 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

at

find serious faults.

st.

wondscreen.

tion of electrical appliances and equipment to ensure they are safe to use. Most electrical safety defects can be found by visual examination but some types of defect can only be found by testing.

e past I;ve had items that have failed this.

You are so clueless. Have a nice life.
NT
On Monday, 17 July 2017 14:04:02 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

o find serious faults.

test.

n wondscreen.

nation of electrical appliances and equipment to ensure they are safe to us e. Most electrical safety defects can be found by visual examination but so me types of defect can only be found by testing.

the past I;ve had items that have failed this.

No you tell me what you mean by not always. If the appliance has an Earth fault then it would fail the PAT test it migh t not fail a visual inspection, this is what happend with a few bench suplk iies we had in teh lab the PAT unitl gave a resistabnce of >0.5 ohms IIRC a nd that was a fail, so I reduced the lengh oif the mains cable and the meta l parts of teh case sanded down so the earth screw went back to metal rathe r than 20+ years of grim. The meter on one of thesde PSU was next calibration date 1987 which was whe n the unit was meant to be calibrated, which isnlt a PAT failure in case th ough assumed it was.
On Monday, 17 July 2017 14:16:12 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

I will on one condition. You get a good bit more realistic about your lack of knowledge instead of arguing from ignorance with people that have done PAT testing and understand the subject properly. Since that won't happen, enjoy your life. Bye.
On Monday, 17 July 2017 14:26:50 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I have the knowledge you have NOT.
\ instead of arguing from ignorance with people that have done PAT testing and understand the subject properly. Since that won't happen, enjoy your life. Bye.
What do you mean by done PAT testing what did you do just look at the equipment. In order to PAT test you have to do a bit more than just look at the item.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg236.pdf