Grenfell and gas pipes.

Really? Got some statistics to back that up?

As supplied by the maker, some fridges and driers etc seem perfectly capable of self destructing with or without PAT.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How close do they actually need to be? As a teenager, friends and I used to wander around some open land (ex-brickworks clay pits) that were used as landfill sites (now a nature reserve) and one winter's evening there was a fire in one of the pits - I remember it well, because the firemen borrowed our torch as it was better than theirs :) - and they could not get their vehicle anywhere near, but they had plenty of hoses to reach. Surely a dry riser can be fed by coupling multiple lengths of hose too?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

In message , at 09:58:10 on Mon, 3 Jul

2017, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:

White goods should be much easier. As soon as one bursts into flames (and I've cited the Fire Brigade warning that numerous do, on a regular basis) then ban that particular model number.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at

02:21:10 on Mon, 3 Jul 2017, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com remarked:

Can you spell "ghetto"?

Reply to
Roland Perry

catflaps!

Reply to
mechanic

If you need statistics to work out that PAT testing reduces fire risk you should really see your doctor.

For sure. And surely irrelevant.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Unlikely to be workable. And of course one fire is a poor assessment of risk.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes. It would be a huge improvement on sprinkling them around council estates. Only a public landlord could be so pick-a-word as to not effectively tackle this persistent problem.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In message , at

04:14:56 on Mon, 3 Jul 2017, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com remarked:

Did you read the cites? [Hint: rather more than one fire]

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at

04:17:34 on Mon, 3 Jul 2017, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com remarked:

Of course, a lot of left-wingers in Kensington apparently think that Grenfell *was* that ghetto.

Reply to
Roland Perry

It wasn't, there were ok people there as well.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That does not support your view that one single fire should result in a ban.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No but the chances of both being full of smoke is somewhat less.

If its the tenants then who do you want to blame?

I think the cladding is being used to hide the poor design in the hope they wont have to demolish similar blocks or build new escape routes to replace the crappy core. They still need to enforce the safety rules or those escape routes would become death traps. As I said before I have seen what stupid people do in tower blocks and you can blame the government all you like but it was the tenants that were doing the stupid things.

Reply to
dennis

That's not actually true. They have no duty to house anyone that has made themselves intentionally homeless. Getting evicted can be intentional because of many things, like bad behaviour, refusing to pay the rent, etc.

They may have to take children into care but the adults don't have to be rehoused.

Reply to
dennis

How? An inspection of the cables and plugs might but a PAT test?

Reply to
dennis

a visual inspection is the most important part of any PAT test.

Reply to
charles

In message , at

06:20:28 on Mon, 3 Jul 2017, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com remarked:

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at

06:19:16 on Mon, 3 Jul 2017, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com remarked:

Did I say I agreed with those left-wingers?

Reply to
Roland Perry

There have been lots and lots of verified tales of a certain drier bursting into flames. Yet that hasn't been banned. Or the makers even forced to modify them within a set time.

Is your answer to ban all after one instance of a fire? I could see some very interesting lawsuits after that one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK. Now tell us how PAT would show up the likelihood of a fire in an appliance like a fridge.

Do you actually know what PAT involves?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)