Gas shortage UK

The UK petrol/diesel fleet gets almost twice the fleetwide MPG as the corresponding US fleet, and they drive on average only a third of the annual miles compared with those in the US. UK public transit is far superior than that available in the US. The longest straight-line road-trip in the UI is from Land's End to John 'o Groats, 603 miles (814 by vehicle).

Comparing UK prices to US prices for fuel isn't particularly useful.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

The only one with any possibility of doing that is Russia and NATO won't let that happen.

Reply to
Rod Speed

We have a giant country. 2600 miles from San Francisco to Manhattan. Just California is over 800 miles long.

In your tiny old country, you can't drive very far.

We drive about 190 miles each way for a ski weekend. How far do you drive for a ski weekend?

Reply to
John Larkin

In the US, CNG and LNG cars are fueled with natural gas. One of my employees drives a CNG car. LNG is cryo stuff.

LPG is sometimes called Autogas, and is a mixture of propane and butane, liquid at room temp under reasonable pressure. We also use that for blowtorches and BBQs and such.

Reply to
John Larkin

Much further, there is no viable skiing in that soggy little frigid tiny island.

Reply to
Rod Speed

And I changed back to petrol since it broke two engines, it burns too hot.

Liquefied Propane Gas. Tells you what's in it.

Which required a lubricant, which always failed then the engine buckled.

I've never had a vehicle go over 200K km.

There's nothing United about it. No state agrees with any other state.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No wonder I broke two engines if they sold me random gases.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No I won't turn my adblocker off, use a decent site please.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

LNG would be better, since you could refuel at home off your home gas pipeline and not pay excessive fuel duty.

I want an electric car so I pay no fuel duty. But they are prohibitively expensive.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

And also you have no idea how big a gallon is.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Americans can't seem to make efficient engines, no idea why.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Shouldn't change the annual mileage of a lorry. We just get more trips in per day.

Our country would be fine if we had a sensible population density.

65 miles each way, if there's snow. The mountains here are pitifully small. Our highest is 7.5 times smaller than Everest. I wonder if anyone's skied down Everest? That would be fun! Yip, 4 hour descent!
Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The runs are probably not well groomed.

You can ski about 4000 vertical feet non-stop at Aspen Highlands. I think I actually managed to do that once.

Sugar Bowl is about 1500 vf, more suited to my current ambitions.

The Ski Area Formerly Known As Squaw Valley is 2850 vf, if you can manage to not be collided with by some yahoo from Texas.

Reply to
John Larkin

Nevis is 4000 feet, but the only proper ski runs with lifts are a neighbouring mountain. 3400 feet in one go (up a few button lifts, then ski from the summit down to the car park).

's a lift missing on that map from the top of Alpha Button to the bottom of Summit Button.

on your browser, you should get a red marker at the summit of Aonach Mor (yeah we got stupid Gaelic names) and a green marker at the car park.

I get funny looks when I ski shirtless. I'm probably on the net somewhere, since I've seen video cameras out. I know someone filmed me in a tartan thong which I did for a laugh at someone's request.

ROTFPMSL! I've never met a Texan.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They buy expensive skis and outfits and fall off chair lifts.

Here's Sugar Bowl. I get a season pass every year.

It's more of a local place than the monsters like Squaw and Northstar. One of the runs is called Pacific Crest Trail because it is. One peak is Mt Disney because Walt was one of the original investors. So it's a Mickey Mouse ski area.

The prevailing wind off the ocean rises and peaks just about there. In a good year they get 80 feet of snow. One year we skiied on the 4th of July.

John Larkin

Sounds like they're fun to watch.

Jesus what's with the regulations?

Pah, I prefer it when they're cold.

Commander Kinsey

Except the one that whacked me in the calf with a snowboard.

Uphill? Do people ski uphill?

It's fun to soak in a nice hot tub and let your hair freeze.

If I go on some passive vacation, I'll think about electronics all the time. I can ski from 9AM to 4PM with just a couple of breaks, up in the gorgeous mountains, and basically not think much at all. Then when I'm done I'm too tired to think.

Skiing has actually taught me a lot. About trusting your body and your instincts, about hesitation and commitment, about dynamics.

Reply to
John Larkin

The Dutch and English Mars landers were much better.

Reply to
John Larkin

Is it true all snowboarders go shirtless? I detest people wrapping up warm in the snow, it's pathetic.

People too mean to pay for the skilift?

Sissy.

Indeed. Best to do everything subconsciously. Trying to calculate things takes too long and you come across things you didn't expect. Same goes for driving.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Is that legal?

Reply to