Boiler condenser pipe/overflow curved inwards?

Childish pedant.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

No, just noting your habit of talking c*ck.

Reply to
Tim Streater

My habit of not being childishly and unnecessarily precise.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Depends.

If you tell me there's a one in 100k chance I'll die on the way to work, and I'm going to do that trip for the next 10 years - that suddenly becomes about 1 in 40...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

That's right. When a surgeon tells you that some op that you're being offered has, say, a 10% mortality risk, it doesn't mean that 1 in 10 will die but not to worry because it won't be you.

The choice needs to be made by comparing one's outlook with no op (eg imminent expiry anyway) against the possibility that the op will go ok.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

The chance of the pipe will be even less than 1 in 100K.

And I've now seen three of them that have vented, onto the wall, leaving an unsightly stain. And all of them showed with the pattern of water that it was not at any pressure at all.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

But someone has to be stood next to the pipe, have pathetic reactions speeds, not be wearing jeans, and be bothered by getting a hot ankle.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Oh, I have a traditional heating system, just the boiler is in the boiler housing. The pump is in the loft. I have a header tank and a hot water cylinder with a cold tank above it. I thought this was called a system boiler. What is mine called then?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Or, in the case of most of the ones I've seen, a hot head.

Reply to
John Williamson

Well since the three I've seen showing evidence of operating have shown evidence of a slow flow rate, then no.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Ah. I can't run mine more than halfway round the thermostat dial on the boiler or I hear worryingly loud bubbles and vibrations. Of course the boiler is very old so it may be the thermostat is actually sensing hotter than it shows on the dial.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Fuckwit's boiler.

Reply to
Richard

It's a tried and tested simple system that doesn't go wrong or cost much to fit.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Yours sounds like a "heat|heating only" boiler with a vented primary. Definitely not a system boiler.

Heating only boilers were traditionally designed for use with vented (i.e. header tank) installations, although some can be converted to sealed operation.

Reply to
John Rumm

I suspect the comment was in reference to the particular owner in this case rather than the boiler.

A vented system typically costs more to fit than a sealed system. Its more labour intensive, and typically uses more materials.

Reply to
John Rumm

Fuck how much maintainence in the future eh? Mine is very simple and never goes wrong.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

What do you mean by "only"? There are two (I changed it to three to heat the garage) valves in parallel, allowing it to heat the hot water tank, the radiators, or the garage radiators.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

A heating only boiler is one that contains only the components required to heat the primary water - i.e. no pump, no valves, and limited controls and interlocks.

You need to assemble parts external to the boiler to make it do anything useful.

In comparison, a system boiler contains most of the parts in one box required for a rudimentary system.

Reply to
John Rumm

Which is one of the reasons I prefer the heating only boilers. Less to go wrong in one box. The pump in my loft is not in my way or taking up any room I would have otherwise used. Neither are the valves. And they're far easer to get to than inside the would be larger boiler that is in the kitchen.

Reply to
Uncle Peter