Boiler condenser pipe/overflow curved inwards?

Why do I keep seeing overflow pipes (or boiler condenser pipes, or whatever they are) on people's houses with the pipe curved round 180 degrees so it faces the wall? Why on earth would you want the water to run down the wall instead of fall a few inches from the house?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

to stop the wind rushing in and freezing the condensate?

Reply to
charles

They are two separate things. Which are you on about?

I have never seen this.

Condensate should be taken to a drain. An overflow should be in a conspicuous postion so you see it if it overflows.

Reply to
harryagain

On 03 May 2014, "Uncle Peter" grunted:

_zpse59f37f0.jpg.html (nicked from Caecilius' ongoing thread "What's this dripping pipe")

Any pipes configured like this are ones which are likely to spout very hot water in the event of a problem with the equipment like a boiler; ie, they aren't simply overflows from a cold water cistern. Therefore the intention is that any such water (which could emerge at force) is deliberately directed safely at a wall, rather than sprayed over or dripped on a passer by.

Reply to
Lobster

They come from the boiler pressure release valve and are positioned like that to prevent anyone near them being scalded if the valve opens.

Oh dear, typical modern health and softy bullshit, accounting for a 1 in a billion chance of slightly hurting someone.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

In message , Uncle Peter writes

Oh dear, typical argumentative comment.

You've had a perfectly accurate and rational answer given to your question, why prolong the thread with further unnecessary whinging about something that is a definite and serious risk that has been assessed and reduced to almost nil by the simple procedure of putting a bend on the pipe?

"slightly hurting someone" if you ever get boiling, or near boiling, water poured onto you, from what ever source, just remember your comment that it only slightly hurts. Maybe if that occurs you will come back here and let us know if you have changed your mind on the "slightly hurting"

Reply to
Bill

Well if its at eye level and it boils and comes rushing out, I'd not want to be standing there. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Worried it will damage the wall?

Reply to
ARW

They've all been about 6 inches off the ground.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

I would think it better not to have your wall soaking wet.

I don't have such a thing so I don't care. I don't have a combi. I have a system boiler, and the overflow of the header tank is on the eaves, stuck out straight, as is traditional.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

As against having someone scalded? These overflows are only in use when there's a fault that will release scalding hot water under quite a high pressure from them when the pressure relief valve opens, which isn't exactly an everyday occurence. The wall will get wetter every time it rains.

Bear in mind that as the property owner or occupier, you are liable for any injury suffered as a result of hotwater escaping form these pipes and scalding them.

Reply to
John Williamson

By soaking wet do you mean when it rains, you know the stuff well as you live in Scotland:-) or having the equivalent of a boiling kettle full of water blasting out out of the pipe in about 1 seconds time should there be a problem with your boiler ?

This is not purely a combi related feature. It's a feature of all pressurised installs. If your system boiler was installed as in the second picture in the link

then you would of course have the discharge pipe.

HTH

Reply to
ARW

That's the correct position for them.

Reply to
Bod

ALL of them?

I can assure you that the one at my parents first floor holiday appartment is not six inches above the ground

Reply to
ARW

Oh don't be ridiculous. Chances are it wouldn't start squirting precisely as someone walks past. If it's already squirting, they would avoid it. You'll be telling me I'm liable if one of my paving stones is a mm higher than the rest and someone falls over it next.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

We do have eaves you know....

You must have shit boilers if they do that. What was wrong with the traditional header tank?

My mistake, I meant to write "condensor", not "combi".

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Why? I thought they were drains at first.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Trust you to find an exception.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

So do I but there is no protecton against rain hitting the gable end of the house (or the rest of the walls when it is raining and windy)

They only do that if there is a fault. There are lots of reasons why a traditional header tank is not used on some installations.

It is indeed your mistake. Condensing boilers have nothing to do with your argument and are not relevant.

Reply to
ARW