Boiler condenser pipe/overflow curved inwards?

It is impossible for that quantity of water to come through that thin pipe in 1 second. The pressure would be enough to blast a hole in the brickwork.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

About 3 bar

Reply to
ARW

I would expect an attic to get below freezing in winter when its -10C outside. And so do you, else you'd not have lagged the pipes.

I use climaflex.

That's as may be, but I wasn't about to go up there and check. No longer spritely enough. And yes, it did have a lid, the old tank is now sitting in the car port storing Travis Perkins bags. You obviously trust that small animals will not try to get in the tank one way or another.

Not with the rubbish narrowish bore plastic we used to have here.

No, it means you are a fathead, but we knew that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Looking at the spec on a typical domestic boiler the pressure relief valve would operate at 3 bar, into a 22mm pipe that could be a litre plus per second. Hopefully someone will come along shortly with some more accurate figures. Certainly not high enough pressure to damage brickwork, but certainly enough to cause a lot of lasting damage to human flesh.

Not a risk worth taking, any one want a jelly bean?

Reply to
Bill

So add an exception for my house, then. Obviously, by your understanding, it's not a real one.

Reply to
John Williamson

Most people encounter boilers. They live in houses with heating and hot water.

I was going to say that shed dwellers were an exception, but people on this group probably have heating and hot water in their sheds too.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Of couse they do.

What time is the nurse calling aroumd to give you your medication?

Reply to
ARW

Maybe you wired it up wrongly.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Not 1 second for a kettle full. That would fire about 100 metres.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

All the ones I saw were less than 15mm.

A very very very very small chance if it happening. And hot water just burns your skin temporarily you pussy.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Actually it would hit the wall.

Reply to
ARW

I was referring to encountering A LOT OF boilers, hence skewing his results.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Well mine does. Where else would a boiler eject boiling water to?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

In which case your paint is f***ed. And Sod's Law says it will get to

-10 just when you happen to be away for the weekend.

I'm remembering what lagging looked like. As opposed to climaflex.

Why indeed. You'd be surprised what gets up there.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well yes, but if it was a straight pipe, the pressure required to get that much water through a narrow pipe that quickly would fire it 100 metres, and if it's aiming at the wall, probably remove the pebbledash from the wall.

Here's a suggestion, why not aim it DOWN?

In fact I'd aim it 45 degrees up to see how far I could fire it.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

In message , Uncle Peter writes

In which case they are likely not to be pressure relief or have been incorrectly installed. All the specs I have seen say a minimum of 15mm

As you assume these are pressure relief it might be helpful if you knock on the home owners door and mention it to them, I'm sure that they would appreciate your concern..

Reply to
Bill

No it's not f***ed, as my attic doesn't get that cold. Hint: paint doesn't get f***ed from one dose of -2C.

Yes it is a little untidy, but then I don't see it much, being in the attic.

It wouldn't fit through the eaves.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

A mouse can fit through a hole 6mm in diameter. They love the taste of insulation, especially the stuff round wiring. Squirrels need about 25mm clear to get through, and can easily enlarge smaller homes in wood.

Reply to
John Williamson

Nowt worse than an uppity chav.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

and a slit narrower than that, as I found when I thought I had a mouse cornered. The bugger got underneath a door I'd just closed - 3mm at most.

Reply to
Tim Streater