Boiler condenser pipe/overflow curved inwards?

I am pretty sure my parents are not the only people in the UK with a boiler fitted on the first floor.

Reply to
ARW

I recently had the header tank taken out, a relief since:

1) there are no longer pipes in the attic to freeze 2) there's no tank to accumulate grot and dead animals 3) I get mains pressure water, much better

That do you?

Reply to
Tim Streater

We have one for the boiler (ground floor and 6" above the ground) and one for the Megaflow (first floor and so 10ft or so up the wall).

Reply to
Tim Streater

My combi was installed upstairs, the over pressure vent pipe was taken through the wall where it exited the boiler, so it is about 8 inches to the left of the front door, and about a foot higher than the top of the door, As the door is on the side of the house people have to walk past the vent to get to the door, up the drive with a 6 foot fence to their right and the garage at the end,

i know i wouldnt like to be at the door if the boilers over pressure valve opened and the vent pipe was pointing out so it sprayed over the drive, my car is also usually parked on the drive so it would be in the line of fire from an outwardly pointing pressure vent pipe, i wouldn't particularly want it being doused with near boiling water with inhibiter and other crap in it either,

i'll wait for creepy uncle peter to come back with something like his car is built to withstand a spraying of boiler water, and the billion to one chance of it happening whilst it's parked there.

There was a million to one chance of an immersion heater stat failing closed, allowing the water to boil and exit the vent/expansion pipe that loops over the plastic header tank in the loft, was it a 2 million to one chance that in the bedroom below the header tank was the baby in it's cot, asleep when the plastic tank ruptured due to the water in it being brought upto boiling temps by the vent pipe discharging it's boiling water into it for a few days?

you don't care much for million to one chances when you are that millionth person,

Reply to
Gazz

In message , Gazz writes

I read about a lecturer taking a class and talking about probability. The practical example went something along the lines of "would you take a risk of 1 in a 1000?" Many answered "yes" so he produced a very large jar of jelly beans and said that 1 had cyanide in it, then offered them around the class, no one took one!

May or may not be true, but it does illustrate how peoples viewpoint changes when it directly involves their own imminent death and destruction.

Audi drivers excepted of course :-) they are immune to probability and drive as though they are immortal, but that's a different thing all together.

Reply to
Bill

I am not sure that it is a million to one chance. I have seen that happen 3 times.

Reply to
ARW

You have no eaves on the gable end?

If the fault is common, the boilers are shit. If the fault is uncommon, why worry about it?

Condensors are the ones with the outside pipe to let out water.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

My attic doesn't go that cold (as it's above the house) and the pipes are lagged.

No lid?!?

You only need that much pressure for a garden hose. Are you watering the garden with hot water?

No.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

I was thinking if people who live in real houses, not flats.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

How often is a person at that exact point on your path? How often does it overflow? Multiply those two very small fractions together and you get an infinitesimal chance. They're more likely to trip over a loose paving stone and break their neck.

It's very unlikely, and a small amount of hot water won't hurt it. I do that several times a winter to melt the windscreen.

Oh here we go, babies are a million times more important than adults, that old crap.

But chances are you aren't that person. You're one of those people who enter the lottery because you say someone has to win it. Chances are it will never ever be you.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

But you're a plumber. You're exposed to the faults all day.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Of course they are. I forgot about that snippet of information:-)

Reply to
ARW

Actually combi was correct in the first place. Non-combis have header tanks, the overflow goes in there.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

That's libel. AICMFP

Reply to
ARW

I see, no attic insulation. Lagged ha ha ha.

Fucked if I knew, I didn't go up there did I.

No, I'm catering for more than one person using water in the house at once.

SOOL then, aren't you.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I know you're an electrician, I assumed you did plumbing too if you encounter boilers.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

FP is a very small libel case, that wouldn't even pay the judge.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

We are talking about a one second blast of hot water from the pipe - about a kettle full of hot water - and then the PRV has done it's job and the water stops coming from the pipe.

Reply to
ARW

Yes, but it's not 100%, insulation never is, or you wouldn't need a boiler in the first place.

I wouldn't want my attic going below freezing, the paint I store up there would get damaged.

You've never heard of lagging?

It would be a bit odd to have one without a lid on it.

Gravity from the header tank in the attic is powerful enough to run two taps, just not at high enough pressure to spray a hose.

NO, it means I won the argument.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Hold the front page "Electrician wires up a boiler" is bound to make the headlines

Reply to
ARW