Condenser boiler

Being a complete numpty when it comes to these things I thought I would ask her. My landlord is changing the boiler and said he is going to install a condenser boiler. Can someone tell me if these are better than a standard boiler and what benefits they have? The pilot light is forever going out on the one we have so he said he sis replacing it. We have to light the pilot about 4 times a day, every day

thanks Simon

Reply to
Simon

Beware he doesn't change it to a Worcester otherwise you'll be re-lighting it 20 times a day.

Condensing boilers use less gas than non condensing, meaning lower bills for you

Reply to
Phil L

efficiency is about the only good point! the bad points are the crappy hot water, more expensive repairs/imho(limited experience) and from what ive heard more frequent repairs. i love my system! nice big fat bath full of red hot water! cost alot to run tho!

can't you suggest that he just fixes the current boiler, if raden/andy/ed have a minute they could tell you what it might be and then you could suggest it to him. if it's a combi anyway then you probably wont notice a difference apart from the cost maybe

Reply to
Gav

Like how?

Drill a hole in the side of the combustion chamber and chuck a match in?

Reply to
Matt

Ummm..... What do you think the connection is between condensing boiler and crappy hot water? Did you mean combi?

Reply to
Andy Hall

No, it's a red button at the side of a red light, if the red light is flashing, it means you have to relight the boiler by pressing the red button for five seconds.....it's all technical stuff.

Reply to
Phil L

In message , Phil L wrote

What is the actual saving? I get the impression that the hype on the savings is comparing a modern boiler with something installed 30 years ago and took two men and a crane to lift on to the wall.

Would an average household run a condensing boiler in the most efficient way and is a low water content boiler of, say, 15 years age that much less inefficient?

As a landlord is replacing the boiler the OP will not directly have the installation charge but how long is the break even pay-back (extra cost of boiler plus maintenance over lower gas costs)?

I wonder in the case of the OP the cost of repair is a £5 thermocouple and not a boiler costing hundreds of times more?

Reply to
Alan

Never ever had to do that with the (multiple) Worcester's we have.

Just a rotary switch to turn the boiler on and then changing the programmable thermostat from off to auto.

The diverter valve then moves, the microswitch closes, the boiler fan starts, the gas valve opens and the boiler lights a few seconds later.

No need for red lights or switches.

Reply to
Matt

basically, yes!

Reply to
Gav

Total tripe!

Total tripe. A condensing boilers is the same as anon-condensing except a larger heat exchanger.

Total tripe.

You deserve high bills.

Best you don't suggest anything and you know sweet nothing about boilers.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You obviously know nothing about boilers, so best be quiet.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That depends...

Yup that is often the case (especially if you see overly optimistic figures posted by dribble)!

Note however that you will get improvements in running costs simply from upgrading the controls (i.e. better stat, fitting TRVs etc) on old systems even without changing the boiler.

Can't see why not. Modern boilers all tend to be modulating, and hence will do a good job of matching the actual heat output to the current demands (better ones can modulate over wider ranges). This also tends to mean they can keep the return temperature low enough for extra efficiency gains from the condensing aspect of their operation.

Grab yourself a copy of the sedbuk boiler efficiency database browser from here:

you can see how various boilers compare. Note one anomaly in that the sedbuk rating does not include the efficiency of producing hot water (which makes sense for storage systems, but less so for combis). Some of the condensing combis only run in condensing mode while doing heating. (the WB Jr range for example)

Well I presume the Landlord will be paying the maintenance costs as well so you can factor those out. There is also no reason for a condenser to require any more maintenance than a conventional boiler of equal complexity (assuming you he buys one of a reasonably reliable design and not a hastiliy adapted old design bodged into looking like a condenser).

From the landlords point of view you have to factor how much of his time does it take dealing with problems on an old system. Even if the repair is simple and cheap it may not be cost effective if it is required frequently.

Reply to
John Rumm

Lower flow rates in a combi?

Creating corrosive condensate which rots the heat exchangers.

Reply to
Fred

For a given output rating of boiler and a given temperature rise (normal spec is 35 degrees), then it's the same whether a combi is condensing or not.

Not if the boiler is a good quality one and the heat exchanger is made of stainless steel.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Some have high flowrates. Take your choice.

Not in modern one piece exchanger condensing boilers.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 21:19:39 GMT someone who may be "Phil L" wrote this:-

That is true, provided that the heating system has been designed/modified for a condensing boiler. If it has not been then the boiler is unlikely to condense for any significant period and will behave much like a non-condensing boiler.

Beware of bullshit from manufacturers.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 21:38:12 GMT someone who may be "Phil L" wrote this:-

At the risk of getting into a mine's bigger then yours competition, my non-condensing non-combination boiler will fill a large metal bath in about four minutes. This it does with the aid of a hot water cylinder. I spit on your ten lousy minutes:-)

Reply to
David Hansen

You got that right. Now let's see what else he says....

Oh my God what tripe. A condensing boiler will always be more efficient than a non-condensing boiler, even when not condensing, because the heat exchanger is bigger.

An condensing boiler can give great efficiencies if the system around it is engineered to take advantage of it: larger rads blanced to 60-40C, etc.

..and people in the Internet.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This is not really the issue. The landlord owns the property and from time to time big and nasty replacements and renovations will need to take place i.e Boiler, Roof, Wiring, Kitchen.

The decision to replace the boiler is based on not just on removing the cost of sending in someone to keep applying first aid. There is the hassle to the owner and the hassle to the tenant or to a prospective future tenant. Then there is the possibility that the tenant becomes so exasperated with the heating that they wish to enforce the Landlord in his/her duty to 'keep the property in good repair' at least as it was at the beginning of the tenancy.

It may well be that this boiler was economically repairable but the nettle would have to be grasped sooner or later.

Reply to
Ed Sirett