Kew hobby V coffee grounds, no contest! ;-)

Hi All,

I noticed this arvo that my neighbours side drain was full of something that on closer inspection was coffee grounds (it looked more like a swamp though) !

I gave it a good poking about with a sharp stick (and a flexible drain wire thing) but couldn't feel where the obstruction was.

So I dug out the old-but-trusty Kew Hobby and the drain clearing lance I bought off eBay a while ago and let rip. Just as I thought we were gonna flood the drain hole again (I'd bailed it out earlier to get the grid out) it all went woosh and flowed away ;-)

I followed it up with the std lance and 'goesunder' one till it was all squeeky clean ;-)

And as a 'thank you' I got a 128M Radeon 9600 Pro video card ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

In 30 years of demonstrating & selling pressure washers to industry, two things stand out as being the most difficult to clean off. One is hop resin, the other is coffee.

You would assume it would be water soluble, but dried coffee residue on processing machinery is a real PITA to shift.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Visions of Dave going into a Starbucks fully clothed in oilskins and sou'wester and hosing everything down - including the customers.

Reply to
Andy Hall

|T i m wrote: |> Hi All, |>

|> I noticed this arvo that my neighbours side drain was full of |> something that on closer inspection was coffee grounds (it looked more |> like a swamp though) ! | |In 30 years of demonstrating & selling pressure washers to industry, two |things stand out as being the most difficult to clean off. One is hop |resin, the other is coffee. | |You would assume it would be water soluble, but dried coffee residue on |processing machinery is a real PITA to shift.

Our Coffee Grounds & Tea bags, go in the Compost Heap along with potato peelings etc. I wonder what the effect of caffeine is on worms.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The message from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

Apparently it gives slugs the whizzes - enough to discourage them. At least, they can be seen rocketting off into the distance with steam emerging from underneath.

Reply to
Guy King

I think he's gonna have to do something similar from now on .. or at least sieve them and put them in the bin .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

My father-in-law was a plumber. He used to say that small quantities of coffee grounds flushed down a sink was beneficial. Something to do with the scouring effect I guess.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Maybe it was beneficial to his income ;)

Reply to
Richard Conway

He lived in an age where traders were honest. But he also gave the same advice to his daughter - my wife. In 30 years I've never had to unblock a kitchen sink.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Nigel Molesworth wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Just let her do it, do you?

mike

Reply to
mike

The message from Nigel Molesworth contains these words:

I remember my uncle replacing a tap washer in the kitchen cold tap. He decided that he couldn't be bothered to turn off the mains - after all, the water couldn't come out /that/ fast, could it.

Luckily he did it in his own house.

Reply to
Guy King

I quite like the sound of that! All those skinny double choca mocha frappe latte's being washed away!

I'm a little worried about your vision Andy.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman