Better get an allotment or a second hand refrigerated truck?

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Usual leftie rewriting of history.

Reply to
bert

How many joined the Free French forces under De Gaulle and how many joined the UK armed forces?

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

HMOs

Reduce demand and the rents will fall.

Reply to
bert

If only Brexiteers could get over WW2 too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for confirming you are a Brexiteer who conforms to type, and is still worrying about events some 70 years ago.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

they were probably in the Canadian Army/Navy/Air Force.

Reply to
charles

Just getting over WW1 at the moment.

Reply to
Martin

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

It was the MEPs who raised the issue.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

It was the MEPs who raised the issue - which is within living memory for many people but is irrelevant to Brexit.

Reply to
bert

Same as they do now?

Reply to
FMurtz

Blimey this header has generated a gigantic heap of unadulterated codswallop why do not you lot just shut up till after the event and see what crap you have been spouting?

Reply to
FMurtz

Not you Tim.

Reply to
FMurtz

You're surely not saying the likes of Farage was actually there?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In general they don't.

Reply to
Martin

Because then it might be too late?

You see, not all things decided by one group are then just accepted by an or all others, that's the whole point of democracy.

And democracy isn't just something that only exists on one day, it's a continuous thing and can change day to day.

It always makes me laugh when the fanatic Brexiteers say something like 'The people voted and decided' without seeming to understand / remember how close a call it was and how it doesn't *really* represent the 'will of the people' (when only 2/3rds of them expressed an opinion on it in the first place and it was a near 50:50 result).

So, when something important happens, all those who don't consider it to be the right thing, carry on watching and looking and discussing and if it looks like it's really going down the pan, 'the people' can still jump in or at least apply pressure to get things changed.

Take the Poll Tax. In principle a fair idea but 'the people' didn't want it and when ordinary people, teachers and grannies go to prison over it, then the system reacts accordingly (and it was changed).

The only people who seem to what the discussion to stop are those who realise that they may have got away with something and don't want to risk being found out. ;-(

2+ years on and we are no closer to knowing what the final deal will be, how it might then impact people and if it will ever improve the lost of 'most people' in any way at all.

It might massage the principals of a minority at the cost to the majority, and they might not be happy when the penny finally drops ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

They do, actually.

Reply to
John Angus

It did sound good in theory. Everyone who was earning paying for the facilities provided by the council.

However, it was implemented by the Tories. So designed to be not according to means or the ability to pay. Same as increasing NI while reducing income tax.

My mother was one of those who should have 'won' under the poll tax. A widow living on her own in her own modest house on little more than the state pension.

And she ended up paying *more* with the poll tax than under the old rating system. Just what the Tories intended.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wow really.

wow what even on such thiongs like whether or not we sta in the EU. Are you sure ?, so how often should such a vote be taken ?

Every 40 years providing teh answers is yes stay in the EU but as soon as t here;s a vote on leaving another vote must be taken, is that how it works.

Shouldn;t such a club be something you can either join or leave in a free s ociety ?

such things you join and can;t leave arent; realy a democracy. Now if we had this vote say even every 20 years, of course some thing nothi ng has changed since we joined in 1973, don't you think that is long enough and of course NOTHING has changed as far as democracy has it.

that's what they did and the way all voting systems in democracy work. In a democracy you shouldn't count those that don't vote that isn't democra cy at work. Why this is so difficult for you to understand I don't know.

Means the others couldn't care less. That doesn't mean yuo get to vote for them.

you mean like after 40 odd years of having to stay in they eventually get a chance to leave is that it ?

Because a larger selection of people wanted it changed than wanted the poll tax is that it.

you want to go back to poll tax ?

No one knew what the 1st world war would be like except it'd be over by xma s perhasp WW1 shouldn;t have happened or WWII

who is the majority and who is the nimority.

You are less then 0.1% so small and insignificant was your opion that you g ot lumped in with those that draw penises on voting papers and those that c an;t work out wheterh they want to vote for a shit or a hair cut, which amo unts to 0.2% not much of a majority is it, so why should we take notice of you.

I'ts be differnt if yuo voted to remain but you didn;t did you. One of those sittign on the fence claiming a superior position.

What would happen if the majority decided to do what you did or to draw pen ises should we have remained or styaed if 75 had done what you did. That's the way dictatorships work.

or the euro.

Reply to
whisky-dave

It's more a case of bad losers. If Remain had won I'm sure there wouldn't be an assertion that Brexiters were too lazy to vote!

Or were happy to go with the majority. Only a fool would not vote or spoil their paper and then whinge at the result.

Reply to
Fredxx

yers. I looked through my fridge. Most of the veg was UK, dutch green peppers (but not red/yellow) and beans from kenya.

I can bear doing without European wines and beers no probs

Olive oil is an issue, yes. :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher