3 months in a cave versus drowning, or close to it.

If you couldnt' swim and you'd never snorkeled or scubadived, would you rather spend 3 months in a cave or try to swim 2.5 KM to get out.

I went snorkeling this spring and water got in the snorkel. I don't know how I avoided inhaling it. I told myself, Keep your darn lips shut, and that helped, but I didn't go a mile and a half.

Reply to
micky

Tried snorkeling many years ago and only problem I had was leaking mask with a mustache at the time. They could have told me to Vaseline it. There were several of us but I was surprised when only 2 of us were still doing it and were called back to the boat to see the rest exhausted.

Reply to
Frank

I think they will come up with a way of getting them out soon. Some ingenuity, perhaps some cables to hold and a breathing device where no special skills are required.

Put this over your head and just hold on to this handle while this cable pulls you out.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

How's the WiFi in the cave? Seriously, I'd go for the snorkeling lessons although it doesn't sound like a suitable introduction to cave diving.

Reply to
rbowman

I have a beard and a mustache and they caused no problem.

Actually, the lips issue was the previous day, and I think water got in the snorkel on the second day because I let the top of it go below the water, or there was a wave. Not an especially expensive set ($25 dollars for mask and snorkel. No fins. Right across the street from the beach. I'm sure it's cheaper somewhere else.) but still there was a valve with which to blow the water out the very bottom, but I hadn't looked at the packaging much and it took a while to understand what the valve was for, and I didnt' relaize until weeks after I got back home that I probalby have to put my hand on the top of the snorkel to be able to blow anything out the bottom.

Reply to
micky

Usually you can find a way to seat the mask on the portion of your lip that doesn't have hair. Otherwise, decide, is seeing the bottom worth removing the mustache.

Nope.

Just blow, the water comes out. Usually without any valve, just right out the same way air comes in. It's not really a good idea to exhale completely you need some air to keep the tube clear.

Love to snorkel.

Reply to
Dan Espen

It was my only experience. We were off Key Largo over a coral reef but other than mask, hardest part was swimming to keep up with the current. Should not be a problem in a cave.

Reply to
Frank

Just remember I had a picture:

Frank

It's unlikely they'd have to scuba for 2.5 km. The entire cave isn't floode d, just a portion,which I suspect is much less. I doubt 3 months is an opti on, unless they know for sure that the water never will reach where they ar e and idk how anyone could be sure.

Reply to
trader_4

Snorkeling is for looking at fish on a reef. They need scuba gear.

Reply to
trader_4

From what one of the divers said it's a tortuous route with some very tight passages. One snag and you've got a real problem.

Reply to
rbowman

According to one of the divers there is a fairly strong current in some parts.

Reply to
rbowman

I had a primitive dry-top when I was a kid. These look much improved.

Reply to
rbowman

They showed a profile of the route on the news. Does not look to simple. Drilling down may be a better idea. No estimate of time to do that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This is breathing with a regulator in shallow water not snorkeling, which is actually harder. My grand daughter had it figured out in a couple minutes and she was younger than these kids. The underwater part is not that much of the total distance they have to go.

gfretwell

3 months is how long the rainy season lasts, and it is scheduled to start iirc either today or Saturday.

It's not raining now and they've pumped the water level down by 30 or

40%, so if they had a couple more days....
Reply to
micky

Worse than I thought. I read this morning it is an 11 hour round trip. I wonder if they can set up a safe camp half way and do it in stages.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

oded, just a portion,which I suspect is much less. I doubt 3 months is an o ption, unless they know for sure that the water never will reach where they are and idk how anyone could be sure.

I know it's not raining the last couple of days. The point was it's the beginning of the monsoon season and unless they are absolutelly sure that with all the coming rain that area where the kids are holed up won't eventually flood too, then they have to get them out out, not wait 3 months .

Reply to
trader_4

So why do you think it caused him problems and not me? I have a full beard and it hadn't been trimmed for weeks, because I was out of town.

Out the valve, you mean? That's amazing. Even when the amount of water is not enough to block the air entirely? Or do I have to wait until there is that much?

I figured the water would move aside and let the air slip by and I'd never blow more than some of the water out the top.

What do you think about dry snorkels? Any brand recommendation, especially one that is not the most expensive?

Should I make sure I get one with a valve? Or they don't need one because they are so dry!

Reply to
micky

Nobody over 5 uses a snorkel with a ping pong ball in it. In fact my grand kids never had one. You just need to learn the routine that you surface, blow the water out and breathe. Once you get the routine, it is just natural.

Reply to
gfretwell