3 months in a cave versus drowning, or close to it.

If you couldnt' swim and you'd never snorkeled or scubadived, would you rather spend 3 months in a cave or try to swim 2.5 KM to get out.
I went snorkeling this spring and water got in the snorkel. I don't know how I avoided inhaling it. I told myself, Keep your darn lips shut, and that helped, but I didn't go a mile and a half.
On 7/4/2018 12:58 PM, micky wrote:

Tried snorkeling many years ago and only problem I had was leaking mask with a mustache at the time. They could have told me to Vaseline it. There were several of us but I was surprised when only 2 of us were still doing it and were called back to the boat to see the rest exhausted.
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 4 Jul 2018 13:05:31 -0400, Frank

I have a beard and a mustache and they caused no problem.
Actually, the lips issue was the previous day, and I think water got in the snorkel on the second day because I let the top of it go below the water, or there was a wave. Not an especially expensive set ($25 dollars for mask and snorkel. No fins. Right across the street from the beach. I'm sure it's cheaper somewhere else.) but still there was a valve with which to blow the water out the very bottom, but I hadn't looked at the packaging much and it took a while to understand what the valve was for, and I didnt' relaize until weeks after I got back home that I probalby have to put my hand on the top of the snorkel to be able to blow anything out the bottom.

Usually you can find a way to seat the mask on the portion of your lip that doesn't have hair. Otherwise, decide, is seeing the bottom worth removing the mustache.

Nope.
Just blow, the water comes out. Usually without any valve, just right out the same way air comes in. It's not really a good idea to exhale completely you need some air to keep the tube clear.
Love to snorkel.
--
Dan Espen

On 7/4/2018 3:15 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

It was my only experience. We were off Key Largo over a coral reef but other than mask, hardest part was swimming to keep up with the current. Should not be a problem in a cave.
On 7/4/2018 3:41 PM, Frank wrote:

Just remember I had a picture:
https://imgur.com/a/yqWmUCj
On 07/04/2018 01:41 PM, Frank wrote:

According to one of the divers there is a fairly strong current in some parts.
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 4 Jul 2018 19:16:03 -0600, rbowman

A;tjjpigj ot os gpomg pit. mpt om/
That is, the current is outbound, not inbound (most of the time?), which should help them leave.
On 7/5/2018 1:44 PM, micky wrote:

Yes, six hours in but 5 hours out according to the news.
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 5 Jul 2018 14:04:20 -0400, Ed Pawlowski

Well, that's sumpin'.
Supposedly these kids are normally strong, soccer players, bicycle riders. I wonder what the effect of barely eating for 10 days followed by whatever they've been doing for 3 or 4. They were giving them energy pills or something. If they're at 90% strength, I'd want to try to get out. If 50%, I'd be too scared. But I've never gone more than a day without food and I have no idea what 10 days would do.
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 4 Jul 2018 15:41:53 -0400, Frank <"frank

An early effort for me was somewhere south of Cocoa Beach, Fl. An inlet between barrier islands. Not much to look at but close by.
But I planned it to go when the tide was coming in, so I wouldn't be washed out to see.
It was fast and scarey.
Later I went to the area between the island and mainland and when I came out I had some big slug** in my ear. With a friend but I didn't trust her to get it out. Drove to a nearby location and went swimming again, and it left.
**I couldn't see it but that's what I imagined.
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 04 Jul 2018 15:15:52 -0400, Dan Espen

So why do you think it caused him problems and not me? I have a full beard and it hadn't been trimmed for weeks, because I was out of town.

Out the valve, you mean? That's amazing. Even when the amount of water is not enough to block the air entirely? Or do I have to wait until there is that much?

I figured the water would move aside and let the air slip by and I'd never blow more than some of the water out the top.

What do you think about dry snorkels? Any brand recommendation, especially one that is not the most expensive?
Should I make sure I get one with a valve? Or they don't need one because they are so dry!

Nobody over 5 uses a snorkel with a ping pong ball in it. In fact my grand kids never had one. You just need to learn the routine that you surface, blow the water out and breathe. Once you get the routine, it is just natural.
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 05 Jul 2018 13:20:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

They seem to sell 30 or 40, maybe 100 models of various brands, and they get pretty high ratings from users
(Amazon.com product link shortened)38GYT3Y3DZXX&psc=1
They don't call it a pingpong ball but they call it a float. One advantage it has is you can, it was claimed somewhere, swim below the surface without taking the snorkel out of your mouth -- it claimed they worked that well -- though I haven't read any of the 900 reviews or 60 questions. The one above gets a 4.6 rating on the 900 reviews.
Okay, I read 3 reviews and the 3rd one says "I am the diving kind, so I went down,and this guy didn't let any water in the tube body (shaft) which is flexible." So at least it worked for him on one occasion.
I have limited vacation time, so I guess I'll bring the new one and the old simple one and practice with both.
Thanks for replying and thanks, Bob, too.
On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 1:35:57 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

I have a snorkel with the ball, works fine for me. I don't see any problems. In fact, from what I've seen, most of them seem to be that type now.
On 07/04/2018 12:23 PM, micky wrote:

https://www.scubadiving.com/12-new-snorkels-dive-gear-test-scubalab
I had a primitive dry-top when I was a kid. These look much improved.
On 7/4/2018 12:58 PM, micky wrote:

I think they will come up with a way of getting them out soon. Some ingenuity, perhaps some cables to hold and a breathing device where no special skills are required.
Put this over your head and just hold on to this handle while this cable pulls you out.
On 07/04/2018 11:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

From what one of the divers said it's a tortuous route with some very tight passages. One snag and you've got a real problem.
On 7/4/2018 9:14 PM, rbowman wrote:

They showed a profile of the route on the news. Does not look to simple. Drilling down may be a better idea. No estimate of time to do that.
On 7/4/2018 9:14 PM, rbowman wrote:

Worse than I thought. I read this morning it is an 11 hour round trip. I wonder if they can set up a safe camp half way and do it in stages.