3 months in a cave versus drowning, or close to it.

That might work but it still should be a long enough hose so the kid can maneuver in the cave. I still wonder how accurate the pictures are because if they are right, there are only 3 places that are totally flooded floor to ceiling and those look pretty short. The rest of the time you are either dry or just have your face in the water. I can still see where having a regulator and air would make it more comfortable but that is not the same as a cave diver who has to carry it all with him. They have been staging equipment all along the route for days. It looks more like "take this regulator and go over to that guy (50 feet away) rinse repeat. They have the first kilometer or more pumped out so that will be pretty much like how they got in there in the first place. This is NOT a 2.7 MILE swim, it never was. That is just American news people who don't know what a kilometer is.

2.7 Kilometers is the total distance and most of it is dry. I do think, the longer they wait, the worse it will get.
Reply to
gfretwell

Not only that but one of the news site geniuses did the conversion backwards and came up with 5 miles.

Reply to
rbowman

I suppose it depends on whether it is raining or not but I understood the current was mostly outbound. As for the wet suits, don't they all come from China these days anyway. That is a short plane ride from Thailand.

Reply to
gfretwell

:

e:

te:

aybe two divers with a kid, with the kid using air from one of the divers s o he doesnt need a tank.

I don't understand the wet suit thing either. It's been 5+ days, always see med the 95% option would be going through the water. Another thing that I d on't understand is they say they have drilled over a hundred holes, but non e deep enough to reach the depth they are at? So why so many and what good are they? Plus they are probably drilling 4" holes, even if they found th e right spot, drilling one 3 ft dia is another story.

Reply to
trader_4

te:

ote:

rote:

rrow passages

maybe two divers with a kid, with the kid using air from one of the divers so he doesnt need a tank.

eemed the 95% option would be going through the water. Another thing that I don't understand is they say they have drilled over a hundred holes, but n one deep enough to reach the depth they are at? So why so many and what go od are they? Plus they are probably drilling 4" holes, even if they found the right spot, drilling one 3 ft dia is another story.

Add to the mix elon musk says he's building a mini-sub that would fit a boy inside. It really sounds like a tank that two divers would have to drag ou t. If the passages are so small that divers have to take tanks off to get t hrough, idk how the hell that could ever work. I wonder again if this isn't analysis paralysis, too much time on whacky ideas, instead of focusing on the obvious.

Reply to
trader_4

It doesn't matter what they do, somebody won't like it and someone will get sued.

Reply to
Bob

Sort of like that other thread where I asked about clearing a snorkel.

Reply to
micky

Can't say Hookah. It's enough we have abortion and gay marriage.

Reply to
micky

It started drizzling yesterday.

But they were checking out drilling. They have crews up there going down what iirc are called chimneys. Using GPS, one of them was right over where the kids are staying, and they made it 2/3rds of the way down until they got to a dead end. GPS also measures altitude, or maybe they used a rope.

Elon Musk has donated 10,000 mens umbrellas. If you put them side by side correctly, they will divert the rain off the mountain.

As you probably know by now, 4 of them are out, the route they came in on.

BTW, just kidding about Elon Musk, but there's a webpage about him. Apparently someone asked on so-called social media if he could help and he replied that he thought they had things pretty well under control, but if he could help he would. Then he went on a bit about his company that does boring and somethiung about having pumps (there are hundreds of pumps there now.) Then a dumpfest began on Musk who did nothing wrong.

Reply to
micky

I've been reading about swimming snorkels, and even the corrurgated part that many of them have at the bottom of the J is enough to make it harder for a swimmer to breath, because it's not flat inside. I guess it's low-speed turbulence. So the expensive snorkels have something, it didnt' say what, to counter-act this.

And the snorkel is so short to begin with. Yes, the air in the cave example is under pressure but we all know about amps = volts / ohms. Ohms increase proportional to length. This applies to air too.

I did see about 15 men spaced 20 or 30 feet apart carrying a stiff, 4" or so hose, one of many I think. But I think for the first big chamber that is now dry, not for swimmers.

Reply to
micky

Well the idea of a "mini-sub" to get the kids out sounded pretty stupid to me, given what we know. Most of the way they can have their heads above water, underwater there are some spots so tight the divers have to take their tanks off to get through, so IDK what that idea was all about.

Reply to
trader_4

What I read is exactly that, except that they only went 20 or 25% farther. So they were 83 or 80% as far in as where they ended up when the water started filling the cave.

The sign out front specifies when the rainy season starts, and the season started a week after they went in, which is a week ago. So it was unusual to have rain that early, a week before the "season". And it's not uncommon that the real rains would have started a week ago.

Reply to
micky

I hate that phrase, for reasons I won't go into in a non-political thread.

But the term I think you should have used is "artist's rendering". It might well be that.

Reply to
micky

So you werent' kidding. Although I wonder if it's a joke by someone.

There was only one passage like that, near the end iiuc, and they did chip their way through it.

I read Dr. J. Verne is bringing in a time machine. They'll set the time back 16 days, tell them not to go in, and everything will be fine.

Reply to
micky

At 10am local time, 18 divers went into the cave to bring out the boys ?

==> But if they only moved 4 of them, why does that take more than 8 of them? Relay teams?

including 13 international divers and five Thai navy Seals.

The former governor who is in charge of the rescue operation called the international divers ?all-stars? and said the Thai divers were ?five of our best?.

It might take up to four days for all the boys and their coach to come out - and it is not confirmed if the boys will have to dive.

The boys are being brought out one by one - so far four of them have been saved from the cave.

Officials said they might stop and start the operation ?depending on weather? - with rains falling just a few miles from the camp......

----------

3.40pm update: The rescue has finished for the day with four boys out

The rescue has been concluded for the night and will resume in 10 to 20 hours because ?we?ve used all the oxygen,? according to the operation chief.

==> How long does it take to refill a tank?

?Its actually just falling quiet here,? says Dan Johnston on the BBC News Channel. ?There?s been a lot of activity in the past few minutes. It looks like people are leaving this site for the night.

?One thing to bear in mind is the tiredness levels of the cave diving exerts who are leading this operation. They have been working busily all day and it looks like some of them are actually leaving the dive site now.

?It looks like they?ve taken the decision that they have done as much as they can for today.?

50 foreign divers and 40 Thai divers are currently involved in the rescue operation.....
micky

3.31pm update: The boys travelled 1km underwater before emerging from the cave

Officials corrected a previous statement that said six boys were out - it is in fact four boys who have been saved so far.

The four had to travel 1km underwater but walked much of the rest of the way.

One of the four boys rescued from the cave is being ?closely monitored?.

A round of applause erupted after Chiang Rai governor Narongsak Osottanakorn said he had met the children.

He said their health is ?perfect? and called today the ?best situation?.

1.57pm update: More boys are out

A senior member of the rescue medical team has reportedly told Reuters that six boys have now exited the Tham Luang cave complex. BUT THIS WAS A MISTAKE.

It has been reported that doctors assessed the boys inside the cave on Saturday, where they drew up an priority evacuation list.

As a result, the weakest boys will be brought out first, and the strongest will be rescued last.

Ambulances and helicopters were seen at the cave, believed to be transporting the first two boys to hospital.

Reply to
micky

On Sun 08 Jul 2018 09:05:20a, micky told us...

Giving that warning, I would have been skeptical of going in the cave even several weeks before hand. Extreme caution with extreme danger never hurts.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Sure, but somehow all this water arrived in what? An hour, two hours, to so quickly flood it? Which made me wonder about taking so long to get them out. If it can fill that suddenly, seems on big rain and it could have undone all their pumping and make it worse than ever.

Reply to
trader_4

Assuming that's correct, it sure doesn't jive with the drawings we saw of the cave. Those drawings showed just a few short areas that were flooded, the rest showed large open area above the water level. So, who knows. These crisis management events seem to be especially badly handled regarding info in Asian countries.

Which is what I'm talking about. If they can't get that right, not much credibility in the rest of it.

?best situation?.

Sounds like another bad idea. I'd take the strongest to validate that it can be done successfully and learn from it. Take the weakest, something goes wrong, one dies, then what?

Reply to
trader_4

As of Sunday morning Eastern time the news reported they had four souls out and would be back Monday morning local time.

Reply to
Tekkie®