3 months in a cave versus drowning, or close to it.

That should be in a few hours. (Thailand is Zulu +7 and we are 5 hours behind that so it is ~0200 monday there) At the speed they are going this could be another day (into Tuesday) but they said they took out the weakest first so the others may get out faster. The rescuers have also had some practice now. I am not quite sure what daylight has to do with being in a cave but it may just be the divers need a break. With all of the hub bub, you would think they would have plenty of divers.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes, the first article was very unclear, but a later one said this. Or just a mistake.

Reply to
micky

jibe.

4 and 6 are very close to each other. Especially from an oriental perspective. Just ask my tai kwan do instructor.

Later today, I read that someone had said they took the strongest first.

Reply to
micky

The oxygen level makes more sense than stopping for the night. I'm not big on caves but any of the ones I've been in have been dark 24/7 unless lighting was installed for the tourists.

Reply to
rbowman

After this, politicians will enact some laws that all caves be lighted. Can't be too safe. It for the children.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Works for me... I think every cave tour I've been on they insist on turning the lights off to show you how badly it sucks.

In the college outing club there were spelunkers and mountaineers. I was not a spelunker. Their trip reports about crawling through wet caves and tight passages on their bellies with carbide lanterns did nothing to attract me.

Reply to
rbowman

I did a little of this caving in the 70s and it does not take a lot of light to see your way around. A small lamp on your helmet works fine. In fact too bright a light tends to blind you once you get used to the dark.

The flash from this shot had us blinded tor several seconds. .

Reply to
gfretwell

Since many caves are on government land they should be handicap accessible with a dozen reserved parking spots...or is the government exempt from its own cost-prohibitive regulations?

Reply to
small biz

"Heavy rain started falling as soon as the [2nd] four were removed from the cave. Narongsak said experts told him the new rain could shrink the unflooded space where the boys are sheltering to 108 square feet."

The news said a day ago that it would be 4 boys, 3, 3, and 3, but that struck me as wrong. If they can do 4 they should do 4, even if that leaves only 5 behind. So I was right, they did 4, coming at in 2 groups 2 hours apart (within a group of two, they were 10 minutes apart.)

Now that there are 5 left, they should bring all 5 out at the same time. It's been raining for gosh sakes, and then everyone can go home.

The families of the boys agreed to all stay at the cave until all are freed, but how can they do that when the ones whose kids are out want to go see them and stay with them.

Reply to
micky

LOL

In the video when the rescuers first get to them, someone was shinging a light all over them. The main beam was only for a second on one at a time, but I stil wondered why no one was covering his eyes.

Though at the start we talked about them sitting in the darkness for 10 days, they must have had some light. No one goes into a cave without a flashlight.

Reply to
micky

I thought they had 90 divers.

Reply to
micky

AGain, I know that it's the start of the rainy season. I know it had started to rain. That still doesn't explain how it could fill up so rapidly, which must have been in an hour or two, to the point that they were trapped. Unless I suppose they were so extra dumb that they already had water there that made it almost impassable to begin with. As Forest said, stupid is as stupid does.

Reply to
trader_4

I read that again:

"How are they being rescued?

A team of 90 expert divers - 40 from Thailand and 50 from overseas - has been working in the cave system. "

But the next video says thtey have added 5 more expert divers to the team of 18. ??

Good graphics. Best graphics yet, scroll down.

-------------- "Rescuers have been taking the strongest boys out first. It may seem counterintuitive, but the reasoning for that was that officials want the boys who have the best chance of surviving to get through the escape route first."

non-working video, but also good graphics.

A commenter on another page says "this article information is not correct, the doctor changed his mind last minute and the WEAKEST children came out first.. all other publications say so. like bangkokpost, dailymail etc etc check them out. Reply 20 Likes "

"Two divers were assigned to each child to help them navigate the dangerous, narrow passageways."

"On Friday, the death of a former Thai navy SEAL underscored the risks. The diver, the first fatality of the rescue effort, was working in a volunteer capacity and died on a mission to place oxygen canisters along the route" This step appears to be what takes the 20 hours between days.

Others said

Who are the boys and their coach?

Some details have emerged of members of the team and their coach.

Captain Duganpet Promtep, 13, is described as a motivator and highly respected by his teammates. He had apparently been scouted by several Thai professional clubs.

Myanmar-born Adul Sam-on, 14, speaks several languages, and was the only team member to be able to communicate with British divers when they were first discovered.

It was 17-year-old Peerapat Sompiangjai's birthday when the group became trapped in the cave. The snacks the boys brought with them to celebrate are likely to have helped them survive their ordeal.

Assistant coach Ekapol Chantawong, 25, was said to be the weakest of the group when they were found, as he reportedly refused to eat any of the food and gave it instead to the boys.

I've read that the now that the 4 remaining have 3 times as much room, they don't want to leave and have requested an X-box and Wi-fi.

Reply to
micky

rbowman posted for all of us...

Yeah and add about 60 lbs of fire fighting equipment and you got it knocked...

Reply to
Tekkie®

trader_4 posted for all of us...

As of Tuesday, July 10 @ approx 11 Eastern time all were rescued along with the "caretaker".

Reply to
Tekkie®

They seem to sell 30 or 40, maybe 100 models of various brands, and they get pretty high ratings from users

They don't call it a pingpong ball but they call it a float. One advantage it has is you can, it was claimed somewhere, swim below the surface without taking the snorkel out of your mouth -- it claimed they worked that well -- though I haven't read any of the 900 reviews or 60 questions. The one above gets a 4.6 rating on the 900 reviews.

Okay, I read 3 reviews and the 3rd one says "I am the diving kind, so I went down,and this guy didn't let any water in the tube body (shaft) which is flexible." So at least it worked for him on one occasion.

I have limited vacation time, so I guess I'll bring the new one and the old simple one and practice with both.

Thanks for replying and thanks, Bob, too.

Reply to
micky

I have a snorkel with the ball, works fine for me. I don't see any problems. In fact, from what I've seen, most of them seem to be that type now.

Reply to
trader_4