Siding Installation In The Winter Months

What are the mechanical drawbacks, if any, to installing Vinyl siding in cold weather (20-30 Deg F.) ?

Reply to
Bgreer5050

The siding usually has slots for the nails (not holes). Make sure you don't drive the nails down all the way, so the siding has room to expand and contract.

Reply to
Bob

I've seen it done in below 0 temperatures. Allowances have to be made for it to expand and contract no matter when it is hung.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Since we are on the subject....How about roofs. I have heard of shingle heaters. Is there any such animal?

Thanks

Reply to
Bgreer5050

The main drawback is how brittle it gets in cold weather. It can still be done, but you have to be careful when cutting it...

Reply to
Red Neckerson

I have done it. You just leave allot of room for expansion.

The only problem is sometimes you have to manhandle the sideing to get it into place and it may break of crack.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

Roofs in freezing wewtyher are a TERRIBLE idea! The sticky tabs dont seal unless its hot:( In the winter they will never seal, and by spring dust will prevent them from sticking.'

a neighboi did this and 2 years later had to redo the roof completely.

siding should be ok, are you addng insulation under the new siding? it will pay off in lower fuel bills!

Reply to
hallerb

It could probably be done if you did the cutting indoors and only hung it outside and were careful nailing it. But I'd try to wait for spring if I could - it can gt pretty frustrating about the third time you notice you cracked it pushing the joints together.

HTH, Pop

Reply to
Pop

Hello I did it for a living in Edmonton Alberta-quite often in close to 30 below weather. we actually lost less days to weather in the winter than the summer because of rain. Put a metal cutting blade in your skilsaw and it will melt its way through in no time. we had a sliding table set up to cut it with but for one job it is not really necessary. the trim is the trick part. Easiest way is to use offset metal snips(red) and just before you cut the trim piece let it warm up in you bare hand for about five seconds or so. It takes in the heat fast enough that it won't crack. Installing the sheets themselves were no problem but like the one guy said allow a little room more that usual for expansion as it is already in its contracted state. One trick we used to keep our hands warm was to have a halogen light on both ends of the wall so that after a nailing run you can you hold your hands near the lights for a quick warm up. also I used those little packs you put in your gloves to warm them up (hot packs I guess they call them). As always hang it don't nail the siding.

email if you have any questions. by the way I froze my ass off enough that I got out of the business and now teach industrial arts.

Reply to
Mike Annetts