need advice about painting bathroom

Hi--

I'm renovating our bathroom. I had to tear out the walls because I couldn't get the mastic/old tiles off them. I replaced the walls with drywall and am in the process of painting everything.

I want to paint with textured paint. I primed the drywall (and existing previously painted surfaces) with latex primer, two coats. My plan was to put the textured paint down on top of that, then prime that (if needed), then put down a final couple coats of colored paint.

I probably should have put down an oil-based primer, huh? Because this is a bathroom and subject to high humidity.

If this is true, how can I recover at this point? Just go out and buy some oil-based primer, put it down on top of the latex primer that I've already put up? Or should I put the textured paint down now, and on top of that put an oil-based primer and paint?

I didn't think anyone used oil-based primers or paints anymore, but in checking out some resources on the web, it seems it is still recommended for places like bathrooms.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
peter p.

With all the water base products you have on the wall now I dought it will matter now, failure of the job is usualy from prep like leaving sanding dust. Finish it in a latex that isnt flat that will retard moisture. Ive never had a job fail where oil would have helped. Unless it is a steam room I would not worry.

Reply to
m Ransley

Don't use textured paint. It's a lot harder to clean mold out. I hope you used green board near the tub and sink, and not regular dry.

Reply to
Bob

Yeah, I did use green board. Thanks for the advice. Any advice on the oil- versus latex-based paint problem?

Reply to
peter p.

Mold? ventilate, use spray bleach. Texture if you wish.

Reply to
m Ransley

What Ransley said. It's not good to mix them.

Reply to
Bob

Using bleach is a cure, but why create a potential problem when it can be avoided. You can't get ventilation to every little corner, crack, and crevice of a room.

Reply to
Bob

Righ Bob, Ive just done this type of work professionaly since 83. And you speak from?

Reply to
m Ransley