Battery for electric car.

Please read the part of the tread I was replying to.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Quite. So makes no difference if charged on a driveway or on the street. You can find effectively terraced houses each with off street parking. Meaning it would make no difference to charge one car per house off or on the street.

The subject of total capacity either local or national is a different argument.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, at 11:02:54 on Fri, 22 Jan

2021, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> remarked:

It makes a huge difference because the on-street charging points are leeching off the 2kW/premises average for the housing.

Not very many on-street chargers would melt the cabling.

Note that it's also not possible for too many of the houses to also suddenly start doubling their average consumption by having an off-street charger.

Reply to
Roland Perry

But surely that is pointless? As we've been told here the cables in your street ain't built for it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I have done. So I can remind you that /you/ posted:

"I really can't see the problem of providing on street chargers for every single parking bay on the street."

"I would guess a 2kW limit only applies to a tiny number of rural houses."

That's all at odds with the vast body of work by Ofgem, National Grid, DNOs et al on ADMDs now and the effect on them of large numbers of EVs charged at home. But if you won't share what you know that they don't then we'll just have to make our own guess as to why.

Reply to
Robin

Plowcunt is, like most lefties, really THICK.

doesnt understand diversity

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How come? Either you have driveway charging, or one in the street if no driveway. Both come from the same cable under the road. And don't mean more chargers in total in the same street.

Except that most would charge at night when household usage is low - apart from storage heating.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Can you really not see that applies regardless of where domestic chargers are situated? Is it so difficult to visualise?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

And where did I say it didn't[1]? But that's a different issue - orthogonal to your claims about the ease with which charging points could be provided and the rarity of ADMDs of 2kw or less.

[1] assuming of course the usual but not universal sharing of local distribution cables by street lights and homes.
Reply to
Robin

But surely the local suppliers will think of that, and not let him if it's a problem?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I don't know what you mean. We don't have pavement anyway.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, at 16:09:44 on Fri, 22 Jan

2021, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> remarked:

That's a new specification (only one charger per house, irrespective of where installed), but it doesn't help the power budget of the caling which would quickly be exceeded.

Even if you had timers installed (early evening when people get home is a peak period, and also when they tend to plug their cars in) it still doesn't work, because you'd have one set of kWH-per-household from say

6am to 10pm (14hrs), and then the second [remember, a car doubles the average consumption] from 10pm to 6am (10hrs), which means the amperage overnight is about one and a half that of the daytime. So the cable still melts.
Reply to
Roland Perry

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, at 13:58:41 on Fri, 22 Jan

2021, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> remarked:

It's a Tragedy of the Commons. In the short term I could be an early adopter and have a charger installed, and my one extra load wouldn't be especially significant. But as soon as several neighbours do the same, the power company might have to start rationing new installations (or in the longer term digging up the road to install a bigger cable).

In practice, what seems to happen first isn't actual cables melting (that's a metaphor) or fuses blowing at the substation, but buried junction boxes start going intermittent. There's a road near me where they've dug up and replaced them piecemeal (every hundred yards or so) over the last few years. So you get a good look every time they dig.

I think the extra demand in that instance has been new-builds/ extensions, rather than car chargers.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message snipped-for-privacy@outlook.com, at

16:39:46 >> >>> >>>> >>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>>>> I would guess a 2kW limit only applies to a tiny number of

Street lights in residential areas (rather then trunk roads) are [only] around 50watts each, and tend to be wired up on local daisy-chain cables a bit like household ring mains. They are down in the noise level compared to EV chargers (or even the infamous 2kW per household).

Reply to
Roland Perry

My reference to street lights sharing distribution cables with homes was because some people seem to think that it makes a huge difference if charging points are on drives or on the street - the latter in residential areas often meaning on street lights.

Reply to
Robin

In message snipped-for-privacy@outlook.com, at

08:35:49 >> In message snipped-for-privacy@outlook.com, at

The fallacy is that because there's a street light (consuming 50 watts) it should be possible to install a 7.4kW car charger to every one.

Or in fact several to each one, because on-street parking bays are typically 8-10 per streetlight.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Patently obvious to any Art Student or 'Lefty Brained' individual, innit?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

FFS. I merely pointed out you don't need a driveway to charge your car if street points were provided. Any problems with the distribution system apply equally to driveway charges and street chargers, like for like.

But carry on answering the question you hoped was asked.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You have to apply to the DNO for permission to install a 7kW charger.

Northern Powergrid sent out Freedom Network Services to check our cut-out before they agreed to let us go ahead.

80A was installed and acceptable, 100A was more than required and they were reluctant to upgrade to that.

I'm not sure what the diversity is at my house, but earlier today my natural gas heating device quit (air inducer) and the part won't be here until Monday. And I'm heating on approximately 9kW of electric heaters :-)

The best tests are practical tests, when your ass is freezing.

This is the first time I've ever put a load of that magnitude on the wiring.

Paul

Reply to
Paul