NHS email addresses?

I tried to email someone at an NHS hospital address, but it was bounced.

The address I used was of the form - ?????.????@nhs.net

Does that address seem to be valid, or does the server simply not accept mail from other than nhs email addresses?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

The nhs.net domain has an MX record which tells your mail server the next mail gateway.

What happens after that is down to the rules on the recipient's system.

Normally a rejection message would give a reason - what did you get?

Reply to
Scion

I have in the past successfully sent messages to addresses in that format. (from outside the NHS)

Reply to
Chris B

Is this enough, there was a lot more?

Diagnostic information for administrators: __________________________________________________

Error is [0x80004005-0x00000b22-0x00000501].

Exchange response headers: request-id: b1aef2a5-6246-4b85-a505-826ab809a77e X-ServerApplication: Exchange/15.20.3763.014 X-FEServer: LO2P265CA0271 X-BEServer: AS8PR03MB7144 X-CalculatedBETarget: AS8PR03MB7144.eurprd03.prod.outlook.com X-RequestId: {9F5807CE-A29B-4228-80FC-EF14FE1D0859}:41 X-ClientInfo: {0E934E77-3A1D-4C10-85A6-24F57C168542}:45760018 X-ElapsedTime: 1722 X-BackEndHttpStatus: 200 X-ResponseCode: 0 X-DiagInfo: AS8PR03MB7144 X-RequestType: Execute

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

if its a Scottish hospital try nhs.scot, nhs Scotland has moved from nhs.net to nhs.scot

Reply to
bt

ServerApplication:

AS8PR03MB7144

The first error number 0x80004005 is typically Access Denied, in a Windows setting e.g. a file or process. I wouldn't expect to see that in an email rejection.

The rest doesn't say much; the eurprd03.prod.outlook.com string leads me to believe it's an Office 365 cloud-based system.

Best guess is the mailbox exists but is misconfigured or, as you speculate, only accepting messages from within the same mail system.

Reply to
Scion

Bear in mind someone you know as Jane Smith cd have an email address of:

snipped-for-privacy@nhs.net snipped-for-privacy@nhs.net snipped-for-privacy@nhs.net etc

Reply to
Robin

bt explained :

No, it's in England and I think I have got it maybe solved. It seems I accidently tried to send it via my Outlook mail account, which it should have been OK with anyway.

I have tried a resend via Plusnet and it hasn't bounced this time - at least so far.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

when I booked by Coved 'jab' the site was: xxxx.nhs.uk

Reply to
charles

A separate annoyances is that some GP practices refuse to communicate with patients via email 'because it isn't secure'.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Most internet email *isn't* secure, and if you use POP or IMAP and a mail app then it's almost certainly insecure including your login details.

Almost all banks etc will use web-based messaging and will email you if there is a secure message for you.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Absolutely. People who leave their mail on publicly accessible servers with just a user name of the form of e.g. snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com or snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com are simply asking for it to be hacked.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm not sure if it is relevant but some of the NHS DNS servers block DNS queries from known VPN addresses. The NHS site itself isn't blocked just the DNS servers.

Reply to
Pancho

As I keep repeating in many places, treat E-Mail like a postcard, it

*isn't* by default encrypted as it goes from place to place.
Reply to
Chris Green

The answer is that it depends from my experience. One supposes that those that need customer facing email have it configured but others do not and often the operative with the address is unaware which camp their email is in.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Often they reverse the names, smith.jane for example. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

20+ years ago I was involved in implementing and running email for a single NHS trust (several thousand staff) there were numerous name collisions within snipped-for-privacy@trustdomain.nhs.uk, not just john and jane smith.

Later, they started to encourage migration to centralised NHSmail where all NHS staff would use snipped-for-privacy@nhs.net instead of each trust's own domain ... no wonder they have to tweak the usernames so much.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The NHS keeps several fax machine makers (or more particularly, their products) in business because it doesn't trust email, or the post, to get through.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Nah, fax machines are still big in Japan, anyway most copiers have optional fax modules.

Reply to
Scion

williamwright expressed precisely :

That is what my surgery told me, when I asked about sending an email to an hospital department. Obviously they were wrong, it was accepted and the individual acted upon it today. It was just my attempt to send via my MS Outlook address which bounced for some reason, I don't even know why I tried to send via Outlook.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.