ISP email addresses after you change ISP

When I switched from Taltalk (Tiscali) several years ago, to Plusnet, TT threatened to cut my TT email off within 3 months, unless I paid them a fee to maintain access. I really wasn't bothered enough to pay, because TT had there customer database hacked, so 95% of the incoming email to the account was spam or phishing attempts.

Years later, long after deleting the automatic login from Outlook, I can go online to check via webmail, which suggests TT were simply making idle threats to close my email account.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Normally they do nuke the server and all its contents after they cease to provide an email service entirely or you stop using them as your ISP unless you pay extra for the use of it. Tesco stopped completely a couple of years back throwing their naive customers into disarray.

Can you still send emails through their server? That is the acid test.

Given that TalkTalk customer service was modelled on one of the inner circles of hell I am not surprised they still haven't got it right yet.

Their former CEO is now the head of test & trace - what a perfect match!

Vodafone finally sort of exorcised their Demons last month ending an email address that I have had for quarter of a century. They made a complete balls up of that too. Zombie Demon websites still abound.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Martin Brown was thinking very hard :

I have no idea, I never use it - I was just surprised the account was still accepting mail after such a long time and so many increasingly threats.

I left them because of the flood of spam and spam phone calls after they were hacked, plus the pathetic, Indian 'customer service', which simply tied me in knots when there was a issue, which was quite often once they took over the Tiscali accounts.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Jimk brought next idea :

Did it really need the OT, when the subject line already made it perfectly clear? OT is a left over from when people paid by the byte for access, so they could make a decision whether or not to download the message.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

No what they have done is left your incoming open but stopped you using their smtp server to send replies. At least that is what they have done to my even older lineone address which is also now part of talk talk. Youcan, and I have however set up some other isps outgoing so it can do replies looking like tis that email but in fact is not. Depends on the isp whether they allow you to spoof the return address or not. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Now don't start a war over off topic, as the topic being off in itself is not supposed to be tolerated in any case, but since these groups are not moderated, it is a price we pay for it actually being posted to the groups as moderated groups usually attract controlling types who like some people but find a reason to banish others. As I've said many many times, nobody is forcing anyone to read everything, and I certainly don't, but others say, I want it to be all whatever the subject is, I don't want it to contain spam, nor off topic nor posts coming in from Home owners hub and crossposts to unconnected groups and presumably those are the people who would love moderated lists unless they got on the wrong side of the over zealous moderator. So look at what you have got here, and be thankful you still have it.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I expect they just forgot to disable it. My Freeserve email continued for years after I stopped dialling up to them.

Reply to
Max Demian

In article <rlhfkr$557$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Harry Bloomfield <?.?@harrym1byt.plus.com.invalid> writes

TT must have the worst customer service ever. Wouldn't touch them if they paid me. Oh, and isn't the former CEO now running NHS T&T. Apparently she's a good bullshitter.

Reply to
bert

Not really, if you have an email service which allows you to change the "From" address. Or at least put the Tiscali address as "Reply To" address.

Demon broke mine when I failed to follow some unilateral configuration change they enforced, and Vodafone refused to try to recover it a year or so later.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

No it was Vodafone that broke it, and some small company they farmed out the email service to that refused to recover it, if I remember rightly.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

No, OT is useful because some folks seem to treat this newsgroup as their personal blog, political platform or place to post about all the minutiae of their life. OT allows those who wish to filter that out and just read about DIY.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

There are also those who morph a normal thread to rabbit about their propaganda and deliberately engage our resident trolls:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

on 06/10/2020, Tim Lamb supposed :

  • several..
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Ah, like 'most people' here you mean, it's called 'thread drift' and very much part of any discussion group.

We are all 'rabbiting' here aren't we, given most of what's asked could probably be Googled?

And I think most here have our triggers, be it trespass, Brexit, Renewable energy, The Government, animal cruelty, Scottish people etc etc? ;-)

I guess ones mans propaganda is another mans worthwhile cause? Say it was to do with domestic abuse or animal cruelty, advising our fellow d-i-y'ers re the flu jab or other important medical matters?

I think the 'resident trolls' engage themselves ... and hey, not all of them are lost causes, even the ones doing the bad things. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

T i m

NO, anything involving computers is DIY.

Reply to
Andrew

I see your point, but my filter to remove posts with OT in the subject won't work on yours.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You forgot the "OT "....

Reply to
Jimk

+Several
Reply to
Jimk

Perhaps they should use "O T" to signify troll trapping?

Reply to
Jimk

Oh for a normal thread...

Reply to