And another email funny

We used to be on Tiscali/talktalk, but now on Plusnet.

TT still accepts and allows download of incoming email, but not sending.

I am using Outlook 97, which is set to send and receive via several accounts including TT, except I have set it not to try to send via TT.

Everytime it does a send and receive, it complains it cannot login to send 5 emails via TT. There are no emails in the Outbox at all, none in the Drafts and as said - using ctrl+alt+S, I have set it not to send via TT. So what are these 5 invisible emails it is trying to send and how do I delete them please?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thoughts:

  • Uninstall and re-install Outlook (slash & burn method!)

  • One of the other accounts is set to use the TT outgoing server and the drafts are in there.

Reply to
Scott M

If all else fails you might consider setting up a local email server and redirecting DNS for the TT mail server so that it delivers locally.

Sledgehammer to crack a nut, though.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

David wrote on 19/08/2017 :

I wonder if I might be able to change the properties of the TT account, to allow the 5 to send via my PN account?

The big mystery, is where these 5 emails are stored in Outlook.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Scott M explained :

I am a prolific email user, that involve many thousands of records being lost.

All drafts are in one folder, outgoing in another and all are empty.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Go into control panel, mail, create a new mapi profile, make it the default, go back into outlook, setup your accounts, if that then works, you can mount your old pst files and drag stuff into the new profile ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

and if it doesn't work, just set your old profile back to the default, delete the new one, go back into outlook and you're no worse off than you are now ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

You can re-install Outlook then import your old .pst file(s).

And I trust you backup your .pst file(s). Given the way Outlook uses megacomplex .pst files rather than multiple flat files and has a habit of corrupting them they are one of the key candidates for not just daily backups but incremental backups.

Reply to
Robin

Do you have only one .pst file or several?

Reply to
Robin

I find it appalling that emails are now less reliable than they were 20 years ago. There is apparently a major problem with gmail on android phones, where sending just no longer works. Apple also has quirks, one of which is rotating pictures when received by a non Apple device. Just the thought of the internet of things fills me with horror. I wonder when we'll go back to mechanics, at least you can see it going wrong.

Reply to
Capitol

Why should that cause any email loss? Just re-install the app.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Harry Bloomfield brought next idea :

I have finally resolved it. It was 4x Read Receipts it was trying to send out on an email account I no onger had access to..

It was rather complex to follow, but this explains how to do it...

Harry Bloomfield

My email funny was caused by the hosting company changing the login security and not telling anyone.

Reply to
Capitol

For the past 17 years I've had no problems using OE on XP. The only glitches were down to Virgin Media. Funny new world is this.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire