Email Problem

My email (hosted by Heart Internet) has been down all day and I've been back and forth to their website checking status every half an hour or so.

There's an option to receive email updates so I signed up for that.

Got a lurking feeling that may not work well but can't put my finger on it.....

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Just checked mine, not working. Tried on my Android tablet and that puts up a message about incorrect credentials.

Hope you'll post here if you get any email updates from them, in the past their support team has been pretty good.

Reply to
Davidm

Will do, still down at 11:55.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Yes indeed! Is there an option for the status messages to be sent to a non Heart (e.g. gmail) address?

Reply to
Roger Mills

'Keyboard error, press F1 to continue.'

Reply to
Joe

Always a good idea to give a contact email address on a different domain.

Oddly, Microsoft's email servers have been flaky for the last week or so as well. I know someone with BT for an ISP, they know nothing about email and outsource it. Better than it was, they used to use Yahoo...

Reply to
Joe

Day three still no email, status of this issue at:

for any Heart customers.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Well Virgin seem to have got some of their mail servers on an RBL list today which is very tiresome, as random emails bounce from sundry recipients. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I signed up for status updates and received an email (via an alternative email address) at 15:21 yesterday:

"Heart Internet Mailbox connection issues Incident status: Identified We are continuing to work on improving connectivity to the mail servers and also to speed up delivery of incoming emails.

Our apologies for any inconvenience caused. Time posted Nov 8, 15:21 GMT Components affected Partial Outage Mailservers"

Nothing since.

Reply to
Davidm

[snipped]

I did the same and have just received an update but it's not fixed, 3 days now! What hosting provider leaves email broken for 3 days and counting?

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

One that has let the last person who knew ho it works go and is now scrabbling around trying random things to fix it.

October has been an interesting month for random "Improvements" to email services and authentication that have broken things. Worth checking that they haven't also switched to stricter authentication as well.

SPF has also been tightened up recently with soft fails being rejected (dropped on the floor) by about some really big servers like MS & BT.

Reply to
Martin Brown

That describes the situation perfectly :-(

I don't think they've changed anything, they've just broken things.

? sun protection factor.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

No:

Fredxx

Interestingly, I am not aware of any issues, and my email appears to be getting through.

However, I have a longer standing issue that some stuff just does not reach me. I only see emails from a particular family member if he uses my Virgin email, though if others "reply to all", it gets through OK.

I had to renew a Microsoft login, and the confirmatory emails never got through until I changed to my Virgin email.

Although I have spam filters nothing is ever deleted without my seeing it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

We seem to be back in business after 4 days without email.

I used the account for 2 stage verification so there was quite a knock on effect, would I be better using an outlook.com account? At least MSFT gets things up and running fairly quickly.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

With the same email provider?

Are you sure about that? Depending on exactly where your email is being hosted things can be dropped on the floor since 1/10/2022 if the sender has anything even slightly wrong with their SPF record (or doesn't have one). Gmail and iCloud so far still let stuff through but many of the really big players switched to dropping stuff for soft fail last month.

It caught out my accountants and several local small businesses. They were completely unaware that their relies to clients went nowhere.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Yes, I'm with Heart.

OK, perhaps what I should have said is that at Heart everything to any @cdixon.me.uk is configured to be passed to my Virgin address, where I have turned off any spam filtering.

My email reader does some filtering, but simply puts it in my spam folder until I have checked it.

Another oddity is that every so often a mailing list I use on Groups.io reports emails bouncing, and needs a reset.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Chris J Dixon snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk> wrote: [snip]

I simply have no spam filtering at all except the occasional [SPAM] added to a subject line by mail handling systems on the way. Losing messages completely or having them disappear into a 'junk' folder wastes far more time than ignoring/deleting unwanted messages IMHO.

Admittedly I use mutt (a command line E-Mail client) so getting rid of unwanted messages consists of running down the list of new messages and hitting 'd' against the ones I don't want. So getting rid of ten junk mail messages takes all of a couple of seconds.

In addition to not rejecting any E-Mails before they get to my inbox I also have a background mail collection script that sorts through all messages arriving at my domain which are addressed to non-existent mailboxes. It looks for likely near misses and/or alternative names such as snipped-for-privacy@mydomain.com or snipped-for-privacy@mydomain.com and sends them on to me while dumping the rest.

Reply to
Chris Green

I can understand that approach, but my method works for me.

I did originally reject anything incorrect, but removed the block in an attempt to deal with missing emails. It didn't solve the problem, but the extra emails were very few, so I left it open.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I'm unclear how this is supposed to work. Suppose I have a domain example.com which is hosted by XYZ Corp, but my ISP is ABC Corp, and ABC provides me with a dynamic IP address. Now I can log into XYZ and set up an email address and mailbox snipped-for-privacy@example.com, and configure my email client with that info and send mail as snipped-for-privacy@example.com. In fact, I already do this. Am I supposed to create an SPF record on XYZ's DNS? If so should I be putting ABC's (dynamic) IP address allocated to me, in that TXT record? Strikes me that doesn't compute.

Reply to
Tim Streater