Plusnet email down

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Thanks for that: I was just about to make my own investigations and then I saw your post.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Is there a reason why you use PlusNet's own email? When you change your broadband account, won't you lose your email address?

I was with TalkTalk many aeons ago, and when I changed providers they kindly closed my account and access to email as well as account information.

Thankfully by that time I had personal domain running and was using this.

Reply to
Fredxx

I was able to send a message this morning - it's gone from my Outbox and I didn't get an error - but I can't send now.

I'm getting two different symptoms for reading: for <mailbox>@<username1>.force9.co.uk addresses, the connection eventually times out. For <mailbox>@<username2>.plus.com addresses, I get an immediate "wrong password" response and my mail client prompts me to enter the correct one. The two different mail accounts are due to having some that relate to a username that is used for the ADSL connection at a holiday cottage, and other that relate to the VDSL connection at our house.

Frustrating, not least because I need to remember each time I check for email that I must only poll my non-Plusnet accounts, otherwise my mail client sits there for ages at each .force9 address in turn.

It affects webmail as well as POP mail. The webmail server prompts for a username/password, and returns an immediate error if the password is deliberately mis-types, so that bit is working, but it then sits there forever once correct details have been provided.

I bet we never get to hear what went wrong - server failure, wrongly-configured DNS, network failure/power cut etc.

Reply to
NY

Forwarding from domain(s) hosted elsewhere to plusnet mailboxes is an option ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Fredxx has brought this to us :

Perhaps they didn't like you, last time I checked, mail was still working with TT despite leaving them years ago.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Perhaps they learnt their lesson. This was over 10 years ago.

It was especially annoying as I needed the invoices for business purposes. Since they closed the account I didn't have access to these. In the end they sent paper copies in two parcels.

Reply to
Fredxx

Thank you for the link which now includes a post saying that the email may not work until tomorrow.

Reply to
Michael Chare

A word of warning. Have you got any web sites which use the TT address as the user ID, without a non-TT address as a fallback? If so, you may want to change those servers to use a different address - or at least set a different address as a backdoor "forgotten password" route into the site.

I had a Virgin.Net email address which dated back to the days of dial-up internet, before I upgraded to Plusnet broadband. That Virgin email lasted about 15 years after I stopped dialling in, but then failed one day with no prior warning when I presume Virgin were having a spring clean. I lost access to one site - I think it was Dropbox - which used the Virgin address as login ID, and had to create a brand new ID. Everything else now has Plusnet and Gmail as primary or backup account - one way round or the other.

Reply to
NY

on 10/11/2021, Fredxx supposed :

To be fair, they sent me several more and more desperate emails demanding I paid for access, or it would be cut off, then never cut access off that I was aware. Last time I checked, the account was full of spam, resulting from when TT's server was hacked.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. presented the following explanation :

They are now saying it will be off until tomorrow morning.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Do they allow none Yorkshire types to use it then? grin

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I think all bespoke emails that are tied to an isp are free if you are with them but now many change for email if you want to keep the addresses. I prefer that idea to the loss of it completely. Of course there are a lot of isps that use other companies servers. I would have thought Plusnet would be using what BT use. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Ah, that will be the cat is having its kittens in the bottom of the server rack then.... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. explained :

and this morning, the server is still dead..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

working here, backlog received and one email sent.

Reply to
Andy Burns

POP server is working: when I first tried it this morning, all the queued-up emails were downloaded quickly.

SMTP server is dead: I've not been able to send any email (times out)

Sending from another address (Gmail): messages to the Plusnet mailbox are not arriving. I imagine there is a long backlog of external incoming mail that is gradually being processed.

Webmail is unusable. It times out either at the logon prompt or else while populating the Inbox page with message headers. Haven't been able to try sending because I've not been able to get to the Write Message page.

So there's been some progress, but there's still a fair way to go.

Reply to
NY

Amusingly (FSVO) the very first email I received after the breakdown was from Plusnet - their invoice for internet services.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

It's been somewhat iffy all day. I have two addresses with John Lewis Broadband (they use plusnet) and at the minute one works, the other doesn't.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I'm still getting emails sent to a Plusnet user returned as unable to deliver.

Reply to
nightjar