Broadband Plusnet v Broadband

A year or so ago I switched my phone to Plusnet as part of a phone/Broadband package.
Since had calls from BT trying to lure me back.
Latest was yesterday. He told me it would be faster and more reliable with BT. I suggested that the cables are the same so how would it be faster. He told me that their fibre cables run parallel to the old wire cables. how can I confirm this?
I don't know enough about it to know if I'm being feed BS, that's why I'm here.
I was given some attractive deals but I said I would need to see the deals in writing as it was a lot to take in over the phone. He wasn't allowed. To me that's in the same area of sales techniques as the double glazing salesman phoning his manager to get a better price.
He's calling me next week to see what I've come up with after my 'think about it'.
Any pointers?

Tell 'em to eff off.
Plusnet are basically a BT subsidiary who offer better prices (generally) and better customer support. There's no reason that a BT line should be faster or more reliable than a Plusnet one as they're the same lines.
It maybe that your neighbourhood has just been upgraded to FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) and BT are trying to get their fibre offering in the door to you before you've checked out Plusnet's pricing.
Tim
On 17/09/2015 13:04, Tim+ wrote:

What they do not tell you is what happens when you get a problem. As I Plusnet user I have found them very friendly, supportive and knowledgeable. The only downside is they are a tad slow, certainly compared to IDnet my previous supplier, however they a cheaper.
I'm on Virgin and in the last couple of months my snail mail and my phone have been plagued by them telling me how much better and cheaper I can get everything through them. They seem to know also that I have an unused old bt line in the property. I find this sort of thing a little worrying. Indeed they obviously have access to some very detailed info about me. However their main problem is that its obvious that their people doing the selling are ringing over a voip connection from foreign parts, and every time now I hear that long delay as I lift the phone i just replace it without even bothering to find out what scam or angle is going to assault my ears. Since I cannot see any number displays, I find this an almost foolproof way to choke them all off. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Broadback" < snipped-for-privacy@j-towill.co.uk> wrote in message
On 18/09/2015 11:08, Brian-Gaff wrote:

A second or two of silence after receiving the call suggests an autodialler is at work, where their system is waiting for the next operator to become available. After 3 or more seconds and no one can take the call in their call centre they will simply drop the line and you're none the wiser.
If they were smart they would employ a noise or sound to keep you on the phone! Thankfully they're not.

Yet another reason to avoid them like the plague. My street has Virgin cable going down it and I get bombarded by pleas from them to join up. Suppose it's natural they do this to existing customers too.
Other good reason not to use them is the mess they make of running a cable from the street to a house. Obviously taught by Radio Rentals.
--
*Vegetarians taste great*

Well thats trying to sell not a bad thing;!.

Well we use virgin and there're very good at Broadband and phone their TV well not known as we don't us it BUT sometimes they deliver over BT Openreach wires and there're just like any other ISP there.
However if it's over their co-axial network then that is very good. Here I'm on their 100 meg service I can go for the 150 or more soon.
As to their cables yep some were a bit messy, ours are fine they put in a duct as we asked them. Someone who's using good ole BT next door is getting around 35 meg fibre FTTC and that looks as fast as its going to go for a long while to come as yet!.
--
Tony Sayer

For the past 5+ years a large percentage of my snail junk mail is from virgin. Around once a week I get a fat A4 envelope with a glossy personalised pamphlet stating how much I could save on my Freeview/Freesat or non-existent Sky costs. This is usually followed up with less bulky snail mail giving me a better offer. Strangely they believe everyone is deeply into sport and want premium content channels. For my usage of TV/phone/broadband I can get a better service or better price elsewhere.
In the days long before Virgin took over the operation, when cable was first installed in the street where I live the only notification was a single letter around 6 weeks before they started work saying cable would be coming to us soon. I was woken early one morning to find that the contractors had stated work even earlier and there was already a trench and the spoils piled high on the pavement. No resident could get their cars out of their driveways (front gardens). There followed an intensive campaign by cold calling foot-in-the-door salesmen scum attempting to sign up customers. I wonder why the initial take up of cable in my street wasn't that high?
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

I tell you what I know of quite a few people who'd PAY them to come and dig outside their front doors now as they can only get sub 1 meg speeds on so called broadband and thats not too far out in the county either!...
--
Tony Sayer

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 22:59:47 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

B-)
They wouldn't have to do much digging here, 96 core fibre going down to the village's FTTC passes through a chamber 10 yards from the house, it's believed there is a fibre node 200 m away in the direction of the exchange. Pretty sure Hexham where the other end of the fibre is has Virgin so they just rent a bit of dark fibre from BT Openreach, and 200 m of duct, simples. (Does Virgin FTTP kit work on the end of 40 km of fibre?)
--
Cheers
Dave.

I believe, tho I might be wrong, think its to do with the kit that breaks down the fibre into more usable chunks. As to VM fibre it does run a very long way the right type of fibre and in any case fibre repeaters can and are used as required. However I believe that BT now have a lot of capacity that they want to make available to more for less than current costs so they say....
Perhaps its an issue with the cost of the plant required for accessing it?.
--
Tony Sayer

An uninterrupted bit of single mode fibre can be longer than that. And you don't necessarily need more than one fibre-pair. You can put 960Gbps down that (if not more these days). Wouldn't be cheap to buy the kit for that, though, and it certainly wouldn't fit inside your roadside cab.
--
"Please stop telling us what you feel. Please stop telling us what your
intuition is. Your intuitive feelings are of no interest whatsoever,
On 21/09/2015 23:26, Dave Liquorice wrote:

(Does Virgin FTTP kit work on

Doubtful.
On 21/09/2015 22:43, alan_m wrote:
<snipped>

We get four such fat envelopes, addressed to flat 1, flat 2, flat 3 and flat 4. This house has not been in flats for over 22 years, and only Virgin's database seems to think it still is.
Cheers
--
Syd

In article < snipped-for-privacy@news.ete

Yes do just that why anyone would want to deal with BT when there are alternatives is beyond me;!....

--
Tony Sayer

On 17/09/2015 13:04, Tim+ wrote:

+1
On 17/09/2015 12:55, mark wrote:

Both ISPs offer fibre broadband[1] at 17, 38 and 76Mb, using the same wires and fibres, so the "faster and more reliable" claim is bullsh*t. General experience is that PlusNet offer better support if/when there are problems and are usually cheaper. However, check out the details of various bundles offered to see what's best for you. Watch out for the small print - introductory rates, connection fee, minimum contract duration, exit fee etc.
[1] It's actually fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) then twisted pair wire to your house.
<https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/ <http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-packages
nemo wrote:

That's copper

There is one recently introduced difference with Plusnet, their 38Mbps service had the upload speed cut from 10Mbps to 2Mbps - maybe they think it will mean anyone who wants fast uploads will chose the 76/20Mbps service - to me it's a backwards step.
On 17/09/2015 14:32, Andy Burns wrote:

If your Range B / impacted downstream speed estimate at https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ is below 40mbps PlusNet will only let you have the 40/2 package. They will not let you pay the extra for 80/20 even if you could get much faster upstream than 2mbps. Other ISPs still offer 40/10.
--
Reentrant

On 17/09/15 12:55, mark wrote:

Only if he means "switch to FTTC" which is Fibre-to-the-cabinet.
And you can do that with anyone. FTTC is sold by BT as BT Infinity but it's the same as VDSL/FTTC and is known by lots of trade names.