Broadband Speed Tests

Anyone any idea how BT's broadband speed test works? ( http://diagnostics.bt.com/wf/Start.do?workflow=Speed )
I was having a problem yesterday, my download speed being reported as 0.33 Mbs but the 'local connection' was about 5Mbs according to the BT test. This was with the PC plugged directly into the Home Hub ethernet port, and the phone line directly into the hub via an adsl filter eliminating all my lan wiring and internal phone wiring. I convinced myself that the Home Hub had failed, and this was what the BT test suggested. This morning speed was back to normal with me having done nothing!
How do they test the path from exchange to hub and separate the results from the hub to PC? (As I think that they got it wrong this time!)
AWEM
On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 07:51:14 -0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

http://aa.net.uk/kb-broadband-how.html http://aa.net.uk/kb-broadband-contention.html
--
Cheers
Dave.

I get 17053 kbps here using that test - yet things still sometimes seem slow.
--
*Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?

On 2013-01-03, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Just add a few filter subscriptions: I have EasyList, Liste FR, EasyList Germany, Fanboy's Adblock List, & Fanboy's Annoyance List, & I can't remember the last time I had to add a filter myself.

I use AdBlock+ with Fanboy's Adblock list, Ghostery, Flashblock and a decent sized hosts file (16,548 entries) and I can't recall the last time I saw an advert on the web. And with spam filtering at my ISP, on my firewall (Smoothwall) and in the mail client and the amount of spam I see is negligible, too.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 3rd day of Chaos in the YOLD 3179
Don't do business with Churchill Insurance - they're slime.
On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 14:45:52 +0000, Adam Funk wrote:

Having a goodly Hosts file keeps out a load of rubbish as well.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 09:13:38 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

Streaming speed about 2100kbps; d/l speed 4800kbps! - that's crap on a 2.7Mbps connection and no such level showing on NetMeter.
Judging by the actual playing quality, the streaming is accurate.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Well should be around 4 to 5 Meg on that then prolly a bit more on ADSL 2. If BT can't sort it then get rid on them and get a decent ISP like Zen or AAISP as said...

Well that might turn up one day ...

--
Tony Sayer

On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 21:03:23 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

The same bit of physical wire from exchange to customer is still used, so simply switching ISP is not a simple "cure all". If the line is noisy, hummy, crackly, BT Openreach are normally pretty good at sorting it anyway, report it as a voice fault not "internet". Even with a different ISP it will still be BT Openreach sorting out the problem. The only difference is that some ISP's are better at kicking BT than others...

At a mile I'd expect >5 nearer 6Mbps sync rate. Our bit of string is over two miles and we get 5.5 to 6Mbps. That .35 up is suspicious, the uplink uses a lower set of carriers and almost invariably runs at the max of 448kbps sync. But is that .35 as reported by a "speed test" or the sync rate reported by the modem? A speed test will be lower due to the transport overheads.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Precisely .. we have had BT changed for someone else more than the once with better results;)..

Bit of string is the operative word. Unless your sure of the cable type and the exact run of it, how much is overhead what type it is under ground let alone the joint quality etc etc;!...
--
Tony Sayer

and does the circuit go the direct route?
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

No!
Last time Open Reach had a look the circuit in use continued past the farm for about 200m and then returned! The actual fault was at the exchange:-(

--
Tim Lamb

On 03/01/13 22:25, tony sayer wrote:

Absolutely. I used to get reliable synch at 3-3.8Mbps, and struggled to get a BRAS over 3Mbps.
Currently after having hand selected cables replacing my overall link, I have 4 db less attenuation and when my old router died, the new one is now synching at 6Mbps and I get a solid 5Mbps BRAS.
actual recorded sppeds are about 4.8M down and about 376k up.
--
Ineptocracy

On 03/01/2013 22:25, tony sayer wrote:

Biggest impact is the number of joints combined with the age of them.
On 04/01/2013 22:34, Rick Hughes wrote:

I gave up smoking (anything) several years ago. And yes! My network speed has improved!
--
Rod

Speed test result 10am, 4738kbps down and 343kbps up. Good enough for the current use.

--
Tim Lamb

On 03/01/13 21:46, Dave Liquorice wrote:

No, but of the existing ISP is unresponsive to request to get BT out, a new one may not be.
If the line is noisy,

Sometimes you need to report it as both.
Crackly kit INSIDE te exchange cant even be accessed by the normal chap who does broadband faults.
I went through each in turn. Voice (gave me new lines back to the crossroads) Broadband(gave me new lines all the way from the crossroad to the exchange. The problem was still there, then, three days later it 'went away all by itself' I suspect a dodgy dslam was 'replaced'

--
Ineptocracy

Yes.
Also remembering to get your in-house phone wiring tidied up, in particular get the bell-wire removed.
And *also* remembering that chances are your targeted website won't be hosted by your ISP, but by another. Traffic on the other ISP is their responsibility, not that of your ISP, who can't do much about how it performs. If the website is in another country, or if the routing in some part of the Internet is non-optimal, the traffic can take strange paths and get slowed down even more. The only reliable figure in the game is the speed to your local exchange, as reported by your router.
--
Tim

On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 01:18:40 -0800 (PST), Man at B&Q wrote:

There is the problem, once you get a few hops into the route to any destination who is to say if it's one of those hops overloaded or a slow/overloaded server?

I'm not sure where this "50 user" contention occurs. I've never seen it but then being rural on an exchange with only 1200 subs and 300+ subs to the community wireless broadband that's not really surprising.
Having said that from what I've seen from my ISP (who pledges never to be a bottle neck) says when they spot a full connection within BT, BT are pretty quick in bringing in extra bandwidth, like less than a week. So I suspect those suffering slow downs at peak times are suffering purely due to lack of capacity in their ISP rather than BT or the internet in general.
--
Cheers
Dave.

On 04/01/13 10:32, Dave Liquorice wrote:

But that costs money.
Which some ISPs are unwilling to pay..
So I

It depends. traceroute can reveal where the issue is. Once it was appearing inside my ISP, so I called them 'yes, we have lost a fibre peering link and all traffic is going down the other one'
They had that fixed in a couple of hours which is pretty good really.
--
Ineptocracy