Telephone Box?

OK...the thing I want replaced is the little box where the BT phone cable first comes in from the outside (it's ancient and manky and also in a stupid position). Hope it's not a stupid question, but can I change this myself? I looked in Wickes and B&Q and they sold nothing resembling it, so I was a bit worried that maybe I would have to ask BT to change it (which they would no doubt charge shedloads for!).
Then saw one of these - is this the thingy I need?
http://www.dabs4work.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=4KQN

You *can* change it. Whether you *may* change it is another matter entirely.

It is probably your only legal option.

It would depend on the cable type coming into the house.

Thought as much...

Better stick to that then - if I ever do anything wrong, I get caught straight away!
I'll phone them tomorrow... :(

The main advantage of having BT do it is they can't blame you later on if it goes wrong. The BT phone socket is actually quite a clever device - there's the faceplate socket on the outside, and this is also wired to all your extensions etc. Undo a couple of screws, the faceplate pops off, and you're left with another phone socket - this time with absolutely none of your wiring on. If you've got a phone problem, or more likely an ADSL one, you can plug stuff in there, and if it still doesn't work, and the stuff you're plugging in isn't knackered, it's BT's problem.
cheers, clive
Clive George wrote:

Apparently BT are now telling little old ladies to remove the face plate and test their phone in the master socket before they'll deal with a fault. Otherwise it's an obscene 116 callout charge. IME it's pretty easy to dislodge wires on some of the older sockets. You can see BT's point of view but, as one pensioner said, "Do you want me to get up the telegraph pole as well?".

I expect they're sick to death of dealing with numpties aka 'the general public'.

If they make rules saying we can't touch x, then they'll just have to put up with us! :)

Maybe it got damaged a bit, and your are wondering if they needed to replace it or something?
--
Chris French

On 2007-10-26 01:53:25 +0100, chris French

... and the line has gone terribly crackly on occasions......
said:

phone
and also

matter entirely.

so I was

(which
caught
Report it as a line fault, be very nice to Mr BT when he comes, ply him with cups of teas, ask after his Aunt and his cat, and they'll do most things !
AWEM
On 26 Oct, 11:37, "Andrew Mawson"

Chocolate biccies are essential if you plan to adopt this strategy.
Anita Palley wrote:

And dump the laxatives in the tea if you don't get your way...
--
Adrian C

When we moved intyo this house, the telephone cable came into the kitchen through the outside wall just above the sink drainer into a junction box. The cable was flopping about all over the place. A little jiggling and a drop of water soon caused a fault. A chappie came and it turned out that he came from the same city that I had left 9 years ago and we both knew certain people within BT. I am a Radio Am,ateur and so was he and so were our friends. After a cuppa and a chat, he very kindly removed all the cable from the outside wall and put the cable through into the back bedroom when the PC and other gizmo's are. Only wish all were as friendly. The hardest part with BT is getting the people in India to understand, when you report a fault, the faults. I had to get a little cross and assertive before they put the Q & A book down.
--
the_constructor

Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.

Bit like low rent masons? I've never quite understood this camaderie amongst hams extending well beyond their hobby.
--
*I brake for no apparent reason.

You've obviously never read uk.radio.amateur. What a swamp. Precious little sign of manners, much less "camaraderie".

Oops - my spool cheeker is more difficult to use than it seems.
I suppose I can see 'them' being rude to one another at the other end of a keyboard, but certainly seem to bond when they meet in person. I know of a whole department where I used to work where it seemed to be the only qualification for employment. ;-)
--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

Sorry, I wasn't getting at you - I'm not that sure how to spell it, either.

I wouldn't go that far (BTW, I have a license - G0CNR, although I've been inactive for years), my wife always said most amateurs have to talk to one another on the radio, on account of their poor personal hygiene.

No that's only G8s. they all seem to be eccentrics from another planet.
-
Huge wrote:

Since the hobby was well and truly shafted by the representative body, the RSGB for their own commercial reasons and survival, all that went out of the window and is now a distant memory.
Still, this isn't the place to get into that...
Steve

Please don't form an opinion of Radio Amateurs based on the rantings of the aged folk on uk.radio.amateur I can assure you that they do not speak the thoughts of most.