Remove electrical box?

I have several rooms where the light switch controls a wall socket instead of a ceiling fixture. I would like to have the wall switch control a ceiling fixture instead. To do this I need to remove the existing metal switch box and replace it with a plastic "old work" switch box.

What is the easiest way to remove the old metal switch box doing as little damage to the wall as possible? So far I have tried cutting the box out with a saber saw, but have not found a blade that will do it. How would an electrician do this job?

Reply to
';'%?PF ;/l.

Cut thru the nails using a SawsAll with a thin bimetal blade?

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

theres no need to remove the box, just add a cable from a outlet to the light fixture location. the outlets already have power availble this will work fine if you dont mind the wall wswitch still controlling the outlet too?

Reply to
hallerb

He would tear a hole in your wall and charge extra to fix it later or leave it to you to patch the drywall if you insisted to save money. Or he would install the box in a different location and disconnect and abandon in place the old box.

I would try to pry the box from the stud a little then use a hack saw blade to cut the nails.

Reply to
PipeDown

I responded to a similar question several months ago. Check out the previous posts below. In your case the metal switch box is probably smaller in size than the plastic remodel box that you will be installing. That is good because you can go ahead and cut the existing hole for the new box before you remove the old box. That will give you more room to remove the old box. Just take your time in doing this. Try to avoid using power tools as they will just screw up the wall.

John Grabowski

John Grabowski

Maybe its me:(

So you have a existing switch servicing wall outlets? do these rooms have a overhead light?

If they dont you install the overhead box and light and run the power cable to one of the existing outlets and connect it to the receptable thats powered by the switch. theres no reason to remove any existing boxes as long as theres room to add the cable to the existing receptable box

Reply to
hallerb

I'll tell you what I did. I didn't do that. I put in a second box and a second switch to control the ceiling fixture. That way I still have the benefit of the first switch.

I put the second switch above the first -- same in both rooms -- so there was almost almost an inch between the bottom wall plate and the top one.

I have the best of both worlds, and no effort expended undoing what the original electrician did.

Reply to
mm

Don't remove anything. When I did this I added a new ceiling box for the light fixture, and ran a cable from the switched outlet to the ceiling box. At the same time I converted the wall outlet to a regular always on outlet. Why would you want to remove that?

Reply to
scott21230

I had a friend and did some wiring for them.

They wanted to remove and reuse boxes to save waste:(

I spent way too long explining their idea was a loser:(

They wallpapered over a workbox to save the cost of a blank cover.

UNREAL CHEAP:(

Reply to
hallerb