Cover for AC Condensing Unit

Re: Cover for AC Condensing Unit

Hi,

I have new HVAC in my home. It includes a new outside (Condensing) Unit. The old one rusted to hell-and-gone due to exposure to sun, etc.

I'd like to build/make a cover to protect it from the elements in the off-season (winter).

Unit is about 25 x 27 " (rectangular top), about 24 " hi. Would be nice if covered to bottom, but I'd settle for a cover over the top 12 " of the unit.

I am drawing a blank on what materials to use.

Anybody invented/tested this wheel?

Thanks, Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

how old was the one you replaced? newer ones dont appear to rust.

covering it might make it worse creating a mini moisture cycle with no airflow under your cover:(

Reply to
hallerb

I've been using one from this company for several years with no problems.

lindy

21 years.

They look about the same to me. Painted steel.

Yes, 100% coverage could defeat the purpose.

I definitely want to keep crud out of the top of the unit. With 60-80% coverage, there would be sufficient ventilation.

Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

I use a piece of plywood cut 1" larger all around than the unit and hold it in place with something heavy.....like a rock or a concrete block.

Reply to
cavedweller

Yeah but we dont all live in a trailer.

Reply to
Bubba

12 inches vertically out of 24. You don't think that will cut down the efficiency of the AC? And waste electricity?
Reply to
mm

Put a f****ng tarp over it then, and secure it with bungees....

Fucking idiot, apparently doesnt realize 1/2 the country operates their condensor in reverse mode as heat pump much of the season with no ill effect.

Wind, snow...ice--friggin husky weewee, even

Reply to
PrecisionMechanical

That's true, but from what I've seen of what you post in other groups, I suspect you might....

Reply to
cavedweller

=========================== Well I sure as the devil do not either... BUT that is how I protect my outside unit....

Only attempting to keep out leaves and allow air to circulate.. Both my sons are in the heating and a/c business they both told me that 99 percent of the units they see with rust problems are the ones whixch are covered ...

I use a pretty "rock" to hold the plywiid down ...lol

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

just as cars in many parts of the country used to rust bad and rot away by being only 6 or 7 years old, and today seemingly go forever if not scratched or dented the same thing has occured to other exposed steeel devices.

The steel is better quality, and galavanized and protected better. all this euuals little rust.

I would leave it uncovered, just placing anyting on top of the unit then weighted down may lead to small scratches, turning into rust later. wind can cause vibration leading to scratching the finish. baked on enamel paints are so much better today too.

but hey if covering makes you happy go for it!

Reply to
hallerb

Puddin,

If you remove the condenser's cover every few years,clean and paint it then it won't rust. This is routine maintenance. Putting a structure over the condenser just creates another structure that requires routine maintenance.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

I have a brand new Rheem 13 SEER condensing unit. Would you please explain how to run it in "reverse mode"? That must be an undocumented feature.

(Speaking of f*ucking idiots...)

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

That cinches it: I'm not going to cover my new unit, either.

I am replacing a 1991 WattGobbler condensing unit that has NEVER been covered - and it has never missed a beat OR rusted.

Convince me that there exists a viable and CONVENIENT way to keep out cottonwood tree "cotton" and I'll consider it.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

This is pert near what I tried with the old one.

It didn't work. Rusted a bunch. Surface prep was a severe PITA. Rust would bleed back thru after painting.

It can, yes. but it can also preserve the unit. You wouldn't think it in MO, but the sun out there deteriorates most anything muy pronto.

What I'd like is to find good cheap material, make one. If it's trashed in, say, 5 years, pitch it and make another. Etc, etc.

So far the only candidates are awning grade canvas and plywood.

I might consider maybe something like phenolic if it wasn't so expensive.

Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Turn the unit around and then flip it over.

Reply to
Bubba

This is Turtle

If the Sun caused your condenser to rust out, Covering it will rust it out twice as fast.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Chainsaw......

Reply to
PrecisionMechanical

Hehehe! Nice try but NO cigar, Slick. :)

I specified (and emphasized) "convenient".

An army of chain-saw-wielding maniacs, given a few months, might make a minor DENT in the cottonwood tree population nearby, but not enough to help free my A.C. fins from clogging.

Cottonwood is indigenous to this area. Those that live to be >150-years old grow HUGE enough that professionals use a CRANE to fell them. It is the unfortunate property owner indeed that must pay THOUSANDS of $$ to have a big one removed. Most are on public property, along creek beds and floodways.

Every few years, when there is a particularly big "cotton" release, it can appear as though it has SNOWED - in July.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Actually, I'm located in the columbia river basin, and so there's quite a few em here too..but for some reason, they really don't present much of a problem with our heat pumps.

Maybe its the high humidity causes them to deteriorate rapidly or something.

Reply to
PrecisionMechanical