Can I make/sew a cover using awning-grade canvas

Hi,

Is it practical to get some scraps from an awning fabricator and sew or otherwise fashion a cover for the AC Condensing Unit in my backyard?

For those about to recommend leaving the AC-CU uncovered, don't. I've already evaluated that, and I definitely need a cover for my purposes. Also don't need advice re % coverage, etc. I got that figgered.

Just don't know if canvas is best. Never worked with it.

AC-CU is rectangular, top is about 30" square. The side of the cover would extend down maybe 18".

Is it practical to just get a big sewing needle (I might have 1), lay it out, cut the canvas (scissors?) and sew it?

Thanks, Puddin'

Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old ...

Reply to
Puddin' Man

there is a material made for boat covers which is thin enough to be sewn on a home machine .

Use a needle with a medium length stitch , and if you can get it a nylon thread or other waterproof thread.

You need to apply a waterproofing material to the seams after sewing. Ther is a clear wax like stick available for that. Boat supply or outdoor store would have it .

Reply to
marks542004

Depends on your reason for covering. Canvas is prone to leaking water unless properly treated, especially if the material rubs at all. Put some padding at the corners. Awning material is rather heavy for most home machines, but you may find some lighter waterproof materials.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There's a zillion online places that sell ready and custom made covers. Some are canvas, most are vinyl. I think the concensus is that canvas is better than vinyl because it can breath a bit and not trap moisture underneath.

I'm sure you could make one if you have time on your hands and can get the canvas cheap. Check out the commercial products for hints.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Sunforger Marine Canvas is treated for water, mildew, and fire resistance. "resistant" does not mean "proof" particularly, fire-resistant just means that it merely burns when exposed to flame, rather than turning into an instant curtain of napalm, like nylon tents do.

It will sew with a denim needle and any heavy-duty home machine, although you probably can't do rolled seams with anything modern.

How much do you actually need? I've got a fair amount of 58" wide scrap cluttering up my diningroom.

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

Would tyvek work for this. It is supposed to be waterproof and breath. It is pretty tough too.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

That's a good idea. Stuff's cheap, use two layers, printed side in, and strap it on with some bungee cords.

RicodJour

Reply to
buffalobill

Think plastic drum liner (like a trash bag, only bigger and heavier).

If you insist on sewing, don't. Use glue.

Reply to
HeyBub

Canvas isn't as popular as it once was. I think it wears easily and has no breathability. (One reason I just put a lid on my condensing unit was that I read the the commonly sold vinyl covers lack breathability and actually contribute to corrosion of the unit).

Woven acrylic fabrics are now in common use for marine coverage applications and outdoor furniture covers. Sunbrella is one popular brand, but there are others. I see a lot offered on ebay, and actually found a similar product in a fabric store near us (Joanna's, if that means anything where you are). It isn't cheap. You will also need acrylic thread, with everything UV protected for outdoor use.

Some problems with these are that they unravel easily if you cut them with scissors, so you have to use a hot knife, or pay special attention to binding and hemming. Another is that few home sewing machines sold today will handle these fabrics well, particularly when you are sewing through multiple layers, such as hemming or joining pieces. My wife's machine, circa 1960, can't handle this stuff; my mother's machine, circa

1950, Singer, does a pretty good job, but some hems I have to do by hand. A real canvasworker would, of course, use an industrial machine.

You can sew by hand, but it takes a while and will make you realize how weak your hands were. If you sew by hand, a sailmaker's palm would be very useful for forc> Hi,

Reply to
Not

You would still want to tread the stitching with a product like "Seam Sealer".

Reply to
C & E

What kind of lid did you use?

I figger a full-coverage cover would. I was thinking of a

1/2 to 2/3 coverage on top of unit. Figgered the wind blowing thru the bottom would keep it dry.

Dunno why I didn't thin of that. For something really small, a cig lighter will seal cut edges. Not sure how to do it for a project this size, don't even know what a hot knife is.

It's by hand or nothin': I got no sewing machine.

Much thanks for a very nice and comprehensive response.

Got to think about thisun a bit ...

Cheers, Puddin'