"Canvas" roof/awning

I'd like a canvas roof/awning over the (virtual) deck I've yet to build. Those 'leccy things that reach out from the house are too expensive and no good anyway (I need at least a 4 metre reach). I was thinking of having a wooden "roof" structure and unrolling the canvas like giant horizontal roller blind.

Comments? Plans? Suppliers?

Reply to
Huge

"Huge" wrote | I'd like a canvas roof/awning over the (virtual) deck I've yet to | build. Those 'leccy things that reach out from the house are too | expensive and no good anyway (I need at least a 4 metre reach). | I was thinking of having a wooden "roof" structure and unrolling | the canvas like giant horizontal roller blind.

You might find it cheaper to have two 2metre awnings, one attached to the house and the other attached to the 'pergola' structure , so they approximately meet in the middle. Or even 3 awnings, one from the house and two others going towards and awaywards the house from a pergola two-thirds of the way along from the house.

#\ /x\ # \ / x \ # \ / x \ # \ / x \ # \ / x \ # \ / x \ # x # x # x #house central support

Obviously the awnings would be flatter than that.

And manual rather than electric. Shop awning suppliers are likely to be more robust and possibly not more expensive than the terribly-homes-and-gardens-at-number-7b shops.

Even if 2/3 awnings are > 1 big awning, at least you could spread the cost buy buying a bit each year. You might even discover you don't need the full deck awned.

Failing that, buy a marquee or army mess tent and use it without the side flaps, which you could also use on holiday and take with you when you move.

Owain

Reply to
Owain
[28 lines snipped]

Of course! Shop awnings - I didn't think of that. Thank you!

Reply to
Huge