Voltage for stove Igniter?

Our oven broiler, which I don't recall ever being used since we bought it years ago, won't turn on. Gas, with electric globar ignition. Before I remove it to test it, can someone let me know what voltage these igniters operate on (Sears Kenmore model)? Since the oven sections works properly, as do the spark ignited stovetop burners. For the time being, I assume the broiler control isn't defective, since it does control the oven section properly. Since I have the schematic for the oven, I took a look, but voltages are not shown.

Reply to
Dan Wenz

just replace igniter. full operating description at the samurai:

buffalobill

Thanks. Reason I asked was to check voltage to the igniter first to be sure no other problem might exist, since I replaced one in the oven section some time ago (Just assumed it was bad!) and they're not cheap!

Reply to
Dan Wenz

Dan,

Most of these use the household voltage of 120VAC, as that is the only source.

-------------------------------------

Dan Wenz wrote:

-- ##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

Web and RSS interface to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 98816 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Jgolan

Hi,

Model#?

Normally 110-120 volts AC. But, the ignitor can get voltage, glow red and still be bad as well!

Never assume! ;)

They normally are not shown.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

911 3658 690 ; 36569 series, bought in '86. Thanks for your replies!
Reply to
Dan Wenz

G'day.

A Roper built Kenmore...with GE parts.

Carborundum style Oven Ignitor used on many GE brands gas ranges and ovens.

This an 110-120 volt part. It should draw approx 2.5-3.0 amps when glowing.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Round Carborundum style Oven Ignitor used on many GE brands gas ranges

Thank you, sir, you're a gentleman and a scholar, and there ain't many of us left :-)

Reply to
Dan Wenz

Voltage isn't the main concern. Make sure that the ignitor draws at least 3amps. It can glow and not ignite. If it doesn't glow, remove it and inspect it. Look for a break in the ignitor indicated by a small white spot.

Reply to
Tom Lachance

replying to Dan Wenz, Alina_FL wrote: I bought this gas stove/oven GE JGB860SEJ2SS with Electronic Ignition System from USA and sent it to Europe but I need to convert that ignition to work on European electricity, please advise

Reply to
Alina_FL

Alina_FL posted for all of us...

SOL

Reply to
Tekkie®

One of those small travel converters should work. These things do not draw much power. Some might even tolerate 120 or 240. Read the specs on your particular range.

Reply to
gfretwell

Proof positive those who post from HomeMoanersHub are unequivocally stupid. I knew they were idiots and now we have proof.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Bzzzzzzt.

In the most common arrangement the stove top ignitors are low current,

HOWEVER, the gas oven is ignited by a glow plate which

a: pulls 500 watts and b: stays on the WHOLE TIME the gas flame is burning.

Yes, part "b" is dumb.

Again, this is the most common type. There are certainly exceptions.

Oh, and that original poster may or may not have been a recent entrant.

Reply to
danny burstein