electronic gas oven won't light

My Caloric gas oven, about 1988 vintage, recently quit. No gas odor- so is it likely thermostat problem? and where would that be located? Or perhaps switch circuits? I read once that you can cook a turkey in your dishwasher- but don't think I want to go there...

Reply to
Sev

How is the gas ignited? Do you use a match, is there a spark or a glowbar or pilot light?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Well, I'm no the OP, but am interested in the thread as my gas oven will not light also. It uses an igniter to light the gas.

When the oven temp setting knob is turned, nothing happens. No spark, no flame, no gas odor either. Now the igniters for the cooktop do work and I can use the top of the stove, but not the oven.

Would be nice to use the oven to cook our bird in a week, don't know if I'd be interested in using the dishwasher, but let's have those instructions. I can't wait to see the look on my wife's face

Rick PS - I'm not at home, and can't recall make/model...

Reply to
Rick

Rick, did it use to "snap" a spark when it did work, or did it quietly start? The question is does it use a glow bar or does it use a spark. Many ovens use a glow bar rather than a spark like they may use on the top burners.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Now you got me thinking... The top burners 'snap', but the oven/broiler has a "U" shaped glow bar -

instructions.

Reply to
Rick

Hi,

Model#? Glow coil ignition?...pilot flame ignition?

To little info to know what may be wrong :(

*Some* common gas range info...
jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Yea, and glowbars do burn out. Don't touch one, a finger print can burn it out quickly.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If it's anything like the glow bar in my gas dryer, this is going to be a snap!!

Rick

: > > -- : > > Joseph E. Meehan : > >

: > > 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math : > >

: > >

: > > > > -- : > > >

: > > > Well, I'm no the OP, but am interested in the thread as my gas oven : will : > > not : > > > light also. It uses an igniter to light the gas. : > > >

: > > > When the oven temp setting knob is turned, nothing happens. No spark, : no : > > > flame, no gas odor either. Now the igniters for the cooktop do work : and : > I : > > > can use the top of the stove, but not the oven. : > > >

: > > > Would be nice to use the oven to cook our bird in a week, don't know : if : > > I'd : > > > be interested in using the dishwasher, but let's have those : > instructions. : > > I : > > > can't wait to see the look on my wife's face : > > >

: > > > Rick : > > > PS - I'm not at home, and can't recall make/model... : > > >

: > > >

: > >

: > >

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
pray4surf

Later the same day... Well I see the broiler igniter works but only on the self-clean setting...Repairclinic.com suggested stove clock might be stuck on clean setting, but it doesn't appear to be. Neither igniter- bake or broil lights up on bake or broil setting- I gather thermostat is not involved in broil setting thus would seem to be ruled out as cause. Is that correct? I took a look at temp switch since it looked rusty on top, but looked clean inside and contacts ok. I guess that leaves setting switch or wiring. btw, do you put the turkey gravy in the soap or the rinse-aid dispenser?

Reply to
Sev

Are you aware that the ovens on gas ranges generally have a self lighting device. If that device (spark, glow bar or standing pilot) is not functional it will not work. In addition they may have a sensor to verify that the main burner has lit and if that is not sensed, it will shut it down. Sensors and ignition devices can go bad, not just the temperature and switch devices.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks Joseph and Jeff for your responses. The stove is a Caloric Model RSS380-UK, Serial 6655828 It uses glow bar igniters. Detailed info at Repairclinic.com doesn't mention a sensor, says that bimetal gas safety valve is in series with igniters, actuates in response to resistance drop as igniter heats up, draws 2.5- 3.0 amps in older models, slightly higher - I think 3.2- 3.6 in newer models, igniter may light up and still be bad- I've been learning more than I ever knew about gas ovens.... As I say, my symptoms are: broil igniter does glow, but only with main switch on clean and electronic clock also on self-clean. Neither igniter lights on broil or bake- I touched surrounding safety cages- both cold. (I take your advisement about fingerprints on igniters- heard of this with auto headlight bulbs, but would have thought 2000 deg. F would just burn it off). Thermostat replacement seems reasonable costwise, but is that involved in broil circuit? I gather main switch is expensive- but there is also a fuse, yes? Where would it be? Ok, I'll go check the sites Jeff suggested.

Reply to
Sev

Is it glowing *at all* when the oven is turned on?

Getting it would likely help. You can find tips for locating the model and serial number tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked below.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

If the bake ignitor never glows even a little bit, it could be a problem in the oven valve, oven ignitor or oven control circuit.

Both the bake valve and ignitor should be able to be tested for continuity to see if open or not. If either are open it is likely defective and needs to be replaced. Those components just having continuity does *not* necessarily mean they're good but no continuity does mean they are definitely bad.

Not only does you model have an electronic control but it also looks to have a PC board used in conjunction with the control which could be the problem as well.

There is a fuse but I'm afraid I don't know where it is located on your model, sorry. I would think it should be for the *whole* oven however so if any part of it is working, an open fuse may not be the cause.

You can see some of the parts used on your range at the following links.

Bake/Broil Ignitor (1 each)

Dual Oven Valve
Fuse
Electronic control