electrical box above drop ceiling

Can I leave and/or add a electrical box above drop ceiling? No receptacle or switch, just a junction box where multiple conduits intersect. I know you can't bury one in a finished wall, but what about above a drop-ceiling?

Thanks

Reply to
sid

As long as it's accessible, it's fine

Reply to
RBM

One of the biggest reasons that almost all commercial work uses drop ceilings.

Reply to
DanG

I thought the purpose of drop ceilings was to cover the boxes.

Reply to
mm

I installed a dropped cieling in a back basement to cover up all the surface wiring.

previous owners ran everything on the surface, so did the builder back in 1950.

basements should always have suspended cielings for easy access

Reply to
hallerb

You just need to make sure you cover the junction box also.

Reply to
SBH

What about the boxes that the builder installed that have a porcelain incandescent fixture on the bottom ? Do I need to remove those fixtures and cover them as well ?

Reply to
sid

What about the boxes that the builder installed that have a porcelain incandescent fixture on the bottom ? Do I need to remove those fixtures and cover them as well ?

Only if wires are exposed.

Reply to
SBH

if bulbs were originally screwed in i would just screw in plug adapters so no shock hazard can exist. anyhow thats what i did and the home inspector didnt note it as a problem.

Reply to
hallerb

Yes, that's totally accessible and perfectly legal. (code wise)

Steve Barker DLT