Telephone Box?

There is, in fact, an ADSL-compatible RF-filtered version (80A RF3).

Reply to
kevallsop

a face plate when unplugged disconnects the house wiring. Makes any alterations you need to do to that rather more easy - and testing the line only as removing the plate exposes a phone socket connected direct across the line.

There are other suppliers of the same sort of unit - which can include an ASDL filter if you are siting a router close to the incoming line.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When we moved intyo this house, the telephone cable came into the kitchen through the outside wall just above the sink drainer into a junction box. The cable was flopping about all over the place. A little jiggling and a drop of water soon caused a fault. A chappie came and it turned out that he came from the same city that I had left 9 years ago and we both knew certain people within BT. I am a Radio Am,ateur and so was he and so were our friends. After a cuppa and a chat, he very kindly removed all the cable from the outside wall and put the cable through into the back bedroom when the PC and other gizmo's are. Only wish all were as friendly. The hardest part with BT is getting the people in India to understand, when you report a fault, the faults. I had to get a little cross and assertive before they put the Q & A book down.

Reply to
the_constructor

Bit like low rent masons? I've never quite understood this camaderie amongst hams extending well beyond their hobby.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

in his back pocket ever so innocent like, then ask him could he move the socket where you want it. :-)

Reply to
George

You've obviously never read uk.radio.amateur. What a swamp. Precious little sign of manners, much less "camaraderie".

Reply to
Huge

Ok I'm getting the hang of it now I think! The problem I have is that the BT cable comes in through the wooden front door frame between the bar and the overhead glass and goes immediately into the small BT box. The white cable out then runs along the door bar, down the archtrave and along the hall to the main socket. I'm not sure how to deal with it as I couldn't have the thing in the picture stuck on the doorframe - someone in this thread or another suggested putting a small box (where would I get that from?) in place of the tatty old one and then putting the thing in the picture you gave in the appropriate position. I don't really want a box on that frame at all, but since that is where the BT cable comes in, I'm not sure what else I can do. The other thing is that there is now a double glazed door on the outside porch (which there would not have been at one time) - which technically means that the inside of the house has been extended. I don't know if I could therefore move the BT box to the outside of the wooden door frame (but inside the porch) and then wire through to the main socket. I might even be able to do that without cutting the cable at all, though obviously I would have to rewire it on the other side of the door. In which case my question would be would it be 'wrong' to have the BT box in the now-enclosed porch?

Reply to
Maria

heh...we have an unused NTL board thingy on the outside wall with the cover missing and wires sticking out everywhere - I asked the NTL man to remove it and he said not his problem mate if the customer is no longer with NTL. I'm still not sure if I can remove that!

Reply to
Maria

Why not?

No.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I did ;-) I ripped the lot off the wall and tucked their cable to the outside junction box neatly down the underground pipe in the pavement so that it wouldn't involve a new pull all the way back to their green box.

That was in our old property, we had a dispute with the cable company and went back to BT for a while until they proved to be even more inept than the cable company.

So, we got rid of BT and got the cable company back to come and install our internet and phone service.

I did feel a bit sorry for the guys that came because they were expecting a quick job from their records, but instead had to do run the cable all along the wall etc..

All I could do was to say "dunno mate" and look clueless and offer tea and biscuits!

Steve

PS... Maybe I am psychic but I am sure that the Winter gales are going to bring down our low-down unused overhead BT line that would get in the way of a skip being delivered in our driveway...

Reply to
Steve

Oops - my spool cheeker is more difficult to use than it seems.

I suppose I can see 'them' being rude to one another at the other end of a keyboard, but certainly seem to bond when they meet in person. I know of a whole department where I used to work where it seemed to be the only qualification for employment. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think if I had such cables on my property which weren't for me the cutters would come out...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would imagine that anything before the master socket in the hall is BT's and that, unless it's faulty, they won't touch it. I had one of those little junction boxes in a house I was working on where the cover was hanging off because the fixing thread had gone. They replaced that and tidied up the wiring from the outside at the same time, for free AFAIK.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Since the hobby was well and truly shafted by the representative body, the RSGB for their own commercial reasons and survival, all that went out of the window and is now a distant memory.

Still, this isn't the place to get into that...

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Sorry, I wasn't getting at you - I'm not that sure how to spell it, either.

I wouldn't go that far (BTW, I have a license - G0CNR, although I've been inactive for years), my wife always said most amateurs have to talk to one another on the radio, on account of their poor personal hygiene.

Reply to
Huge

Please don't form an opinion of Radio Amateurs based on the rantings of the aged folk on uk.radio.amateur I can assure you that they do not speak the thoughts of most.

Reply to
the_constructor

No that's only G8s. they all seem to be eccentrics from another planet.

-
Reply to
Mark

Mine appears to be a plain old 80A

Thanks to this wonderful site!

Maria

A bloke on Ebay is selling them. Silly question, but do you just ignore the RF filters?

Reply to
Maria

The cables just kind of emanate from the tarmac on the pavement! (our house fronts straight onto the street...)

Reply to
Maria