Weird Electric Hand Drill Problem

I have had this Craftsman Electric Hand drill for many years and it has been working fine.

Lately, it shuts off when I change its position. For example, it may work when I'm holding the drill horizontally, but if I change to a vertical position it shuts off.

Sometimes, if I am lucky, I can get it started in one position and it will work for awhile when I change its position buy pretty soon it will shut off.

I've taken it apart, checked the brushes, etc. but can not find anything obvious.

Anybody have any suggestions.

Thanks

Reply to
Rube

Lately, it shuts off when I change its position. For example, it may work when I'm holding the drill horizontally, but if I change to a vertical position it shuts off.

Sometimes, if I am lucky, I can get it started in one position and it will work for awhile when I change its position buy pretty soon it will shut off.

I've taken it apart, checked the brushes, etc. but can not find anything obvious.

Anybody have any suggestions.

Thanks

Rube,

I would check the power cord for continuity problems...could easily be a broken wire at either end causing intermittent contact when you move it around.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Sellers

Lately, it shuts off when I change its position. For example, it may work when I'm holding the drill horizontally, but if I change to a vertical position it shuts off.

Sometimes, if I am lucky, I can get it started in one position and it will work for awhile when I change its position buy pretty soon it will shut off.

I've taken it apart, checked the brushes, etc. but can not find anything obvious.

Anybody have any suggestions.

Thanks

Rube,

I would check the power cord for continuity problems...could easily be a broken wire at either end causing intermittent contact when you move it around.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Reply to
Rube

Rube,

Possibly the line cord at the plug end may be intermittent. The next time it is running properly, wiggle the cord near the plug. Next, plug it in to a different receptacle and see if it has the same effect. If it does not, the wiring inside the junction box may be loose at the receptacle. This is a common problem if your home has aluminum wiring. Aluminum wiring was used for only a short period time and could cause fires. Retightening the screws will only be a temporary fix.

George

Rube wrote:

Reply to
George Nuetzel

No Problem, Rube

I just found this group and am happy I was able to help....

And now back to lurking....

Jeff