Replacement Makita SDS drill also faulty

I asked a week or so ago about my new SDS drill, which I considered faulty due to eccentricity in the chuck.

I have now received a replacement from Lawsons, and it is just the same.

I phoned Makita, and got an absolute load of crap from the technical 'expert' I spoke to. It sounds like Makita know they make rubbish but won't admit it.

I am getting really fed up with the whole thing.

-- Chris Melluish

Reply to
Chris Melluish

I haven't actually used mine yet (arrived Tuesday). But, putting a bit in to give it a spin... yes, it's slighly out of true. A wobble of, say

1-2mm on a normal length drill bit..

I also bought a huge long bit (1m) to go through a wall. The wobble on the end of that is several cm...

So - I've also got two questions...

1) Should I expect to be able to use a 1m bit in this drill? 2) Will using it 'for real' reduce the wobble i.e. because it's stuck in a hole..?? Or just put strain on the drill and break it sooner..???

Anyone got a Makita they are pleased with, that has no wobble at all?

AJB

Reply to
AJB

Yes, of course - however, don't *start* the hole with the long bit!

These things are "wobbly" anyway, due to the way they're held in the drill - it might inprove the thing.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I have a Makita HR2450 SDS Drill and I have to say that it rapidly became the best tool I think I'd purchased. If I put a bit in the drill and set it going at a medium speed then the drill bit is slightly off true, nothing massive, but I tiny bit wonky. That being said, I've never had a sloppy hole from it that wasn't completely my fault, and it always drills exactly where I want it to, providing I've made a small pilot or punch to align the tip. Also, the only drill bit that I've broken in this drill was a very thing one that I was trying to go to fast for.

I've used this drill with a set of cheapo core fittings to run the kitchen extractor out the wall and it made it all the way through with very little variation.

So to give me opinion as I was beginning to waffle: It seems normal for the drill bits to spin slightly off true when they're not actually being used to drill and are just spinning in thin air. When the drill is actually being used to make holes the bit seems to spin nice and true. It doesn't seem to put strain on the bits (I've had my Makita for about

3 years now). Yes it's perfectly fine for use with long drill bits without having problems due to spinning off true. And yes, I'm very happy with my Makita :o)

Hope this helps a little

Seri

Reply to
Seri

Makita source parts from China - just like some *much* cheaper machines - if there's a problem, it's with Makita's quality control.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Here we go, prepare for the flood uk.d-i-y'ers.....

Cue Dribble extolling virtues of cheap tat from B&Q / Aldi / Lidl / Argos / etc and knocking Makita despite him never owning a single one of their tools.

Cue Timegoesby saying exactly the same.

Just get a refund Chris (assuming you really are Chris and not another Dribble clone), go to a proper tool shop that doesn't just sell boxes, examine and then buy one that isn't eccentric. Spending "Makita money" means you have a wide choice of other makes that won't break your wrists.

(BTW Dribble I haven't got a Makita SDS myself nor despite your ramblings am I Lord Hall)

Reply to
Matt

Is your car all over the road?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

This sounds completely normal for a 1m bit, if the far end is just waving around in the breeze, unsupported.

All SDS bits are slightly slack in the chuck, and any sideways swing is magnified along the length of the bit. In a very long bit, the far end will whip around exactly as you describe.

Just so. Start with a normal 150mm bit, to the full depth, and then step up to a 450mm bit before finally switching to the 1m long one.

If you go straight from the 150mm to the 1m, you'll find that a lot of the hammer force is lost because the bit bows in the middle. That is why you should never use a longer bit than you really need. If you're drilling through a normal double wall, the 450mm bit is long enough, so that's the one you need. If you really need a deeper hole, the next commonly available length is 1m, but you'll find it works much better in a hole that is already 450mm deep.

Sorry, but that question has all the signs of someone who hasn't actually drilled a hole. Just do it - but *always* start with a shorter, stiffer bit. You'll soon get the hang of it (unless, of course, the chuck really is badly out of true... but frankly I'm beginning to doubt that).

The other issue that you haven't encountered yet is clearance of waste dust from the flutes of the bit. With a very long bit, this will quickly make the drill start to labour, so pull back frequently to clear the dust.

Same drill, same experiences - including using a 12mm x 1m bit to drill several full-depth holes into rock, and also through about 0.6m of solid engineering brick. It's a bit rough on the person holding the drill, but no problem for the drill itself.

Reply to
Ian White

So, that's 3 out of 3 Makitas on the piss. So much for getting what you pay for.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I'd say any SDS drill run up with a bit in place but not drilling would show signs of being 'off true'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm not one to fly the flag for expensive power tools and p*ss on Aldi/Lidl/Argos stuff but in this case I think it's more important on how the drill performs when actually drilling a hole rather than just running the drill in the air.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Send it back and get a ryobi. The aldi SDSs have all been sold so you lost out on that one.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Lord Hall, at Makita Mansion, are the Makita manuals you have under your pillow stuck together?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yup, used one in mine without any difficulty.

Try it and see. Are you sure the wobble you are seeing is not just backlash intrinsic to the design of the SDS chuck? If so you should find it all runs true when drilling.

Yes, me! Not aware of any wobble when drilling.

Reply to
John Rumm

What did he say?

Reply to
John Rumm

I expect any drill to run true, or it goes back to Woolworths.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

He referred him to Matt/Lord Hall

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I'd expect that of a drill with a normal chuck. But the SDS one is different. It wasn't designed for accurate drilling.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So the Makita is likely to drill oversize holes for critical things like rawlbolts? I don't see that drilling into masonry needs less accuracy

Reply to
Stuart Noble

No. The size of the hole is determined by the drill bit. 'Slop' in the chuck, etc, makes no difference to this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)