Odd telephone fault

Since the man installed BT Infinity I have been unable to dial a specific number 01631****** on any extension phone. It works on a phone in the master socket but not the other three. I can dial this number on my mobile. So there is a subtle fault which affects the extensions - which I will have to fix under the house. Before I go down under, does anyone have any ideas why this one number is affected? I have no problems with any other number.
Geoff
"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message
Since the man installed BT Infinity I have been unable to dial a specific number 01631****** on any extension phone. It works on a phone in the master socket but not the other three. I can dial this number on my mobile. So there is a subtle fault which affects the extensions - which I will have to fix under the house. Before I go down under, does anyone have any ideas why this one number is affected? I have no problems with any other number.
Ask BT ?

Agreed. As you could dial this before then I see no reason why you should not ask BT in.
Most odd fault 'tho.
Added to uk.telecom for comment!.... Anyone?..
--
Tony Sayer

On 02/08/13 07:31, tony sayer wrote:

If these are on NTE 5's, i.e. the master socket with the removable front, calling in Openreach will guarantee you a callout charge, as the fault appears to be on the non-BT side of the interface point. If the extensions are still hard-wired to a 1980s style master socket, I think you might still have a fight to avoid a callout charge.
As this was originally on uk.d-i-y, if you have made any DIY modifications to the extension wiring, whoever owns it, you will also get charged for a callout.

When you say "unable to dial", what is the symptom when you try? Stupid question, but have you tried dialling *using the same phone* from both the extensions and master socket?

I get the number unobtainable tone then a a female voice says " Sorry, there is a fault" and disconnects. I have indeed swapped all the phones round - I have 4 identical BT Decor phones. Dialling the number successfully is possible only in the phone socket of the NTE5 - which is the new Infinity one with a built in VDSL socket. When that number calls me the phones recognise the number and show the caller's name but I cannot return the call. I thought it was because I do not permit my identity to show but my phones are set to dial 1470 for stored numbers and I have tried dialling with 1470. Logically it is something to do with ten wiring that affects all the extension. BT Fault people say they have done something and it is fixed now, but it isn't. I will just rewire my extension system - luckily there is 5 feet below my ground floor for crawling.

Are you able to switch a phone to use pulse dialling and see if it's still affected?
I wonder what DTMF signals the exchange is actually receiving and why the fault only affects one specific dialled number - maybe the presence of a digit (or a pair of digits in sequence) that by chance only occurs in that number and not in any others that you dial.
Did the fault exist before the sockets were changed for VDSL and Infinity, or had this already been done before you moved in or first tried to dial the affected number?

I wonder..
Might here be a filtering issue here some where perhaps, someway round or other thats causing some tone in the DTMF sequence to "beat" with an out of band VDSL signal component perhaps?..
And thats accessing that by the via the extension wiring but not on the filtered socket output?..
Not that I know much about the way thats delivered VDSL having fibre over co-ax here;!...
--
Tony Sayer

On Fri, 02 Aug 2013 08:21:45 +0100, David Woolley

Don't call Openreach in then! Call BT or whoever provides your telephone service.
--
Frank Erskine

Frank Erskine wrote:

Don't call *anyone* in, they'll just call openreach and as the fault has been demonstrated to be in the customer's wiring, you'll likely get charged.
Tried same phone in extensions as used in master?
Tried switching between tone/pulse dialling?
tried longer presses of buttons when dialling?
After lifting receiver, and checking for dial tone, dial a single digit (e.g. 0) does dial tone stop? Replace receiver, repeat for all other single digits
Yes, and always use the same phone everywhere and make sure the overall loading on the line is the same each time. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Frank Erskine" < snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com> wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 07:31:58 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

Do you have just the one plug-in ADSL filter in the master socket, with the working phone plugged into it? If so, you need to equip each extension socket with a similar plug-in filter since they are there to filter the Broadband signals off the telephone connections. If these signals get into some phones, they can cause "strange problems" depending on their design.
It's best to do this filtering at the master socket using the type of filter that replaces the lower half faceplate with one having an inbuilt filter. You can then wire all your extension phone wiring into the FILTERED (Phone) side, leaving the UNFILTERED (ADSL) side connecting to your modem/router ONLY
As others say, don't call BT since if they call out Openreach. If they find your system is OK up to the demarcation point in the master socket, it will be chargeable at ~£120...
--
John W

John you either misread or didn't understand the original poster who stated that they had been 'upgraded' to infinity so they will only have the one filter on the NTE (or should that be in the NTE) and do not require any others.
As for possible solutions I wouldn't like to theories about what could be causing the problem as the only problem I have come across with the SSFP which are being used for NGA have been when they go HR/Disconnected nothing to do with the actual signaling/dialing a number.

No - I don't need filters now as the Infinity master separates it all at source.
[Snip]

So, you are saying the extensions are plugged into the Infinity outlet?
If that's true, try plugging some other extenson - such as a wind up drum into the outlet instead.
If not , BT shouldn't have wired it like that.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Whose responsibility is it if BT wired the extensions to the faceplate of NTE and made a wiring mistake? The fault only affects the extensions, not the NTE, but the error was made by BT.
By rights it should be BT, but I bet they have some sort of exemption against this - or claim that the customer had later made unauthorised modifications.

No - the Infinity outlet provides a Broadband outlet on the main plate and a filtered phone socket on a detachable face plate to which the extensions are hardwired on the back. My self installed wiring of 20 years ago has the bell wire connected but that no longer matters as there is no DSL signal on that set of cables. The VDSL signal travels separately on CAT5 to my hub which is 7 metres away from the master socket. The BT Infinity installer just transfer my hard wired extension from the old NTE5 to the new Infinity one - he didn't leave the locality of the main socket.
On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 16:53:09 +0100, Geoff Pearson wrote:

Sorry, I missed this essential word :-)
--
John W

On 02/08/2013 17:58, John Weston wrote:

A radical solution - but cheaper than getting an Openreach call-out charge: Ditch the internal wiring entirely and buy a DECT system. They're surprisingly cheap lately.
On 8/2/2013 1:54 PM, George Weston wrote:

That's what we did.