Odd BT socket

I'd like a panel mounting as small and neat a BT socket as possible. Slave type, not that it matters. Plenty of frame ones at RS etc, but none apparently exactly what I need. I'd like one just slightly larger than the socket itself that clips into a cut out. Or some suggestions. ;-) The panel will have a printed 'cover' panel, so fixing screws etc could be concealed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

MK might do something in their modular system.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

What about one of the Euro modular ones. MK have these and RS have a variety of makes. If you were to engineer the cutout, they just click into place.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've got these round the house, but they're a bit bigger than I'd like. Looking at one, it would be difficult to surface mount it, and making the holes for them to be flush and the fixing for this quite a bit of work. But it's an option if all else fails.

I've got a rectangular Q-Max which would do for the plug only, so I might try just glueing a frame one on the back.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can buy in-line female to female joiners for extending a run using two cables. These will unclip from each other giving probably the smallest female socket you can get and I've filed then glued these onto numerous surfaces. You'll need to joint the wires behind it somehow though.

Reply to
G&M

Thanks - that sounds like it will look ok.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Does it have to be BT? Neutrik do RJ45 in the new standard square fitting.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes - it's to plug standard phones into. It's a telephone ringer for studio use.

Now a Neutric BT socket would have been perfect - it would match the XLRs on the same panel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why not change the leads on the phones to an RJ-11 to RJ-45 type?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The idea is to ring any standard phone that may be used 'in shot' in a TV studio. To have to change the plugs on those would be a no-no.

To clarify, there is room on the panel for a standard small size flush BT outlet. I just want something that looks better. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK...... I meant the whole lead though. Usually the RJ-11 is underneath the phone so wouldn't be seen, and then the RJ-45 would be in the desk. Or am I missing something?

OK..... Would you want 75Vrms near low level audio stuff, or is it balanced and immune enough? .andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You can get RJ45 -> BT adaptors.

Ric

Phones on a one off production may be hired in. Or bought specially. It would be a pain to have to modify them - and costly. Or try and find adaptors. And just this happened years ago at the BBC as of course phones didn't always plug in, and different TV companies used different plugs for 'audio' .

I'd better explain.

It is a small portable unit that is normally battery operated. To ring one phone on location, say, you'd just plonk it close to the phone, plug that in, and operate the ring via the cabled remote control.

It can ring two phones independently. And these two phones are linked so the actors may talk to one another in the normal way. Now because of 'spill' from the studio mics in this situation, the phones would normally be well apart. So there are duplicate XLR connections on the ringer that allow extension stage boxes (XLR to BT) to be used - or indeed you could use normal BT extensions. Or the unit could be situated in a control room, mains operated, and the phones in the studio fed via normal audio tie lines.

In the days of live TV drama, these things were common, and could often handle up to say 6 phone circuits. But were ancient electro mechanical technology which needed mains. Being small light and battery operated makes this one very suitable for occasional use in today's type of production.

I made a batch some years ago to order, and one is hired out by a third party. One company that occasionally hires that one approached me to buy one. Since it's a one off, I was taking the opportunity to update it in some minor ways.

They fell out of use because pretty well all dramas have a dub where the phone ring may be added afterwards. But with some soaps, etc, it makes more sense to do this for real.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup. Misses the point, though. They'd get lost.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Now it makes sense.

So do you take audio from the phone and into the mixing desk or is it picked up from the studio mikes? I guess it depends on the situation, because I guess that if the viewer is "in the room" with one party you'd normally want the studio mike and then to hear the person on the other end (if you re meant to) from the perspective and quality that the actor hears. .. or I guess that sometimes if the scene is switched back and forth, it would be studio mike and not including phone quality audio at all.

I see why you need a neat and small socket, though.

It seems as though the Euro module approach would be a good way, though - if this is going to be thrown around.

Perhaps you could take one of the faceplates and cut it down neatly, chamfering the edges and perhaps spray painting it?

Alternatively, I wonder if you could adapt a decent Euro faceplate so that you could fit an XLR into it?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

There is provision to do this, but the quality tends to be too good and not the accepted sound of the 'other end' of a call.

Decent audio installations in studios include a switching unit operated off the vision mixer. So when the camera shows one end of the call, the other end (and mic) are diverted through an FX unit etc set up to provide the sound you want. Usually extreme bass cut and some treble cut. Maybe even some harmonic distortion. So as the cameras are cut (in a 'live' type situation) the audio will always follow them and sound correct.

I'm considering fixing a frame type BT socket into a panel mounting XLR body. There's just about room. Thanks to DL for reminding me about the RG

45 version.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or more correctly described as grow legs and walk.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ah, I see. Something like 300Hz to 3kHz plus some distortion etc. I guess.

I hadn't realised that there were these integrations into the vision mixing equipment, but see the sense in it from the timing perspective.

Many moons ago I designed automation systems for large mixdown desks so have something of a feel of these issues.

That makes a lot of sense. I guess that youcould epoxy pot the socket into the XLR shell with care.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Gosh are people still installing those? Or are we talking legacy installations from 10+ years ago. Always great fun to set up as it was used so infrequently no could remeber exactly how to do it...

Seems a bit messy, couldn't you cut a Euromod sized hole and fit a BT module? They are roughly the same width as an XLR panel mount, maybe there is a height limitation.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yup. They were invariably one offs, so no two were the same. Unlike the other controls on a 'strange' analogue desk that you could usually wing your way around.

Dunno about current installations. Cost seems to be the main priority - the days of doing things properly and allowing for all eventualities seem to have gone. Just buy an off the shelf desk and dump it in.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)