How not to install an outside socket

I love the comments others have made.

Reply to
ARW

"I consider myself a craftsman", he said

"Probably there could be something more appropriate for filling that" [than Forget Nails]

And in another video, "How to change a Megaflo immersion heater" without a mention of unvented hot water system certification? (I didn't watch the whole video)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

And this is the very reason I don't give a fisk about GasSafe/corgi, ticketed, self certified, notifiable bollocks. If people like this are classed as "competent persons" I'm way over-qualified.

:)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I might change over in a year or so. What is the safety protection? Pressure relief valve? Special immersion heater?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Better hope the leccysafetyfirst moaners don't see this, it's exactly what they would like to see to prove how unsafe allowing d-i-y is.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

Pressure regulator and pressure relief on the cold in Pressure and temperature relief on the hot out Immersion heater with secondary cutout Interlocking with boiler on boiler heated systems Conditions on location of internal tundish(es) and external drains Sacrificial anodes Annual testing of operation of safety devices

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I never install outside sockets, I just dangle a socket on a wire out the window when needed! Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Ah. But that wasn't DIY, it was a professional.

Reply to
Richard

But filling the bodged out hole with mastic is a professional approach.

In 1974!

I don't know why he didn't just surface mount it as most people do...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I like the way he compromised the waterproofing by drilling new fixing hole s in the back ignoring the four pocketed holes in the corners designed to p revent water ingress into the box. He also seems to have trouble mixing up his imperial and metric measurements, at one point I thought he was going t o set the box back 4" into the wall.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

FSVO "professional".

:

"Since 1997 I have been trying to make a success of my local electrical business but without much luck.

Yes, I have a few customers who call on me occasionally to work on their electrics but mostly I spend my time working for a national company as a training officer.

I'm hoping to find someone who is interested in getting some experience as an electrician but also someone who is able to support themselves without a constant stream of work. As we work together I am hoping we will generate more and more business until eventually we can set up a proper company."

Now there's an offer for someone in Surrey

Reply to
Robin

On 26 Aug 2015, "ARW" grunted:

I thought I was watching some clueless handyman or DIY-er until the clip finished and I spotted the van in the first frame showing that it's a company of electricians. God's sake.

I found their website here:

"We are not a member [of NICEIC]- but we want to be!" Here at KTEC we take our application to become a member very seriously - It means a lot to us and we hope it will mean a lot to our customers. In order to qualify for membership we are required to comply with a number of qualifying criteria: Our work must be inspected and assessed by the certifying body. All our work must come with a guarantee of workmanship and each job will require paperwork appropriate to the work carried out."

They also have a profile page of their employees here:

Here's the one for the boy wonder in the youtube clip:

"Kieron struggles with alcoholism. Do not expect to find him working or even communicating after 3 o'clock on a Friday afternoon. We lost him on a recent job in Skegness and found him a fortnight later in Gateshead. He's a good electrician but a terrible singer so please be advised NOT to play any Whitney Houston while he's working at your home."

Reply to
Lobster

*Surely* that's a windup?
Reply to
Huge

So it is all a spoof after all.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

Maybe it's an advert for the competition ;)

(Recalls a Jasper Carrot sketch set in a cinema which went "Are you a local business ? Do you want to ruin your competition ? Why not advertise them here ?")

Reply to
Jethro_uk

"You should NOT apply for this job if: ... You are afraid of getting an electric shock (I've had more electrical shocks than I can remember - if you're working alongside me... well, think about it)"

So he's a sloppy dangerous bugger then.

Everyone's probably had at least one shock, but to talk like that means no one should set foot in the same room as him when he's working.

Reply to
Tim Watts

What?

EAL Level II Domestic Installer cert (2 weekends), C&G 2382(IIRC) Open book IET 17th exam and, what is it, a couple of inspectable jobs for a NICEIC inspector to look at?

He could have done that in a couple of months if he was serious.

More likely they won't let him.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Now take another look at that site. It's clearly not actually "live" (see what I did?), and is just a test/beta/placeholder, with lots of spoof text that's effectively just lorem ipsum.

Reply to
Adrian

I found another site:

which seems to be similar to the above, but also has the address of the 'miscreant' in Surbiton.

Reply to
Dave W

You still have not told us if you have offered him an apprenticeship yet!

Philip

Reply to
philipuk