How not to install an outside socket

What is the problem with sinking the socket into the brickwork?

Is it the extra effort (and therefore time), or is it that it penetrates the outer skin of the cavity wall which then needs to be sealed to make it waterproof to prevent water entering the cavity?

Talking of dodgy wiring, my parents bought a very old cottage which had been badly modernised some time in the 1960s. The internal walls were very old lath-and-plaster, and the backing boxes for the sockets and switches had been glued to the opposite laths because there was no way to screw it in, also the cavity between the laths for one wall and the wall in the next room was almost but not quite deep enough to take a backing box, so all the sockets stood out slightly proud.

The wires had been dropped into the cavity from the loft (for first-floor rooms) or from below the floorboards (for ground-floor rooms) without being enclosed in trunking, and were arranged higgledy-piggledy with a large excess of cable instead of being pulled taut to keep them roughly vertical, so when you were hanging pictures you had no way of knowing where the socket/lighting cables ran.

The storage heaters were fed from heavy-duty 40A shower cable cable that emerged from roughly-cut holes in the wall and went directly to the heater, rather than going to a wall-mounted switch into which proper flexible cable was then wired from heater to switch.

The state of the partition walls was so bad that we had to rip them out anyway and start again with floor-to-ceiling battens every so often and plasterboard nailed to it, so we took the opportunity to increase the size of the cavity so it would accommodate the backing boxes, though I forget how we fixed them to the wall. We rewired everything (with new cable, just in case...) and ran the cable in proper vertically mounted trunking.

That was in the days (1970s) when you could do these tasks yourself without needing examination/approval by an electrician.

What are the rules about doing electrical work yourself nowadays? Is it just bathrooms and kitchens (because of the presence of water) where you need to get an electrician to do the work or to examine your work? What about removing existing wiring to obsolete appliances - eg a ventilation fan that is no longer used? Is it legal to disconnect the incoming feed from the terminals of a ceiling-mounted switch and connect it to a terminal block or junction box behind the switch to terminate the still-live cable? That's what I did with ours - but I got my father-in-law to check it, since he's an electrician: he said that's how he'd have dealt with the situation; he liked the way that I'd even attached a big "Live" label to the terminal block in case anyone were ever to unscrew the switch and expose the block and its wiring.

What about changing a ceiling switch or a ceiling-mounted light fitting in a bathroom where the old one is broken? Does that need to be signed-off?

Going back to the cottage, the wiring wasn't the only thing that had been bodged. We found a big breezeblock-lined pit in the back garden with a sewer pipe emerging into it half way up. It had clearly never been used as a cesspit and the house had a newer septic tank which was fine. We worked out

*why* the original pit had never been used when we examined the levels: the outlet of this sewer pipe into the breezeblock pit was *higher* by a foot than the level of the toilet in the house... How were they intending shit to go uphill? :-)

It was useful as a dumping ground for the old rusty battered storage heaters and all the rubble we generated from building work, and my parents then got someone to fill in the rest of the hole with a JCB and level out the back garden. In several centuries some archaeologist is going dig down and find those storage heaters. I wonder if he'll work out the problem with the levels and realise why it was never used for its intended purpose!

Reply to
NY

We've got a few semi-sunken sockets here - my favourite's the one in the bedroom which is just wedged into the hole in the plaster, with the outer skim attempting to hold it. Of course, it hasn't...

Reply to
Adrian

He's overqualified to be one of Adam's apprentices. Just.

Reply to
Adrian

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

"Joolz" needs our help in getting two jobs assessed for NICEIC accreditation.

He's doing something right though, he lives in leafy Surbiton.

Reply to
Graham.

We got the first delivery of fresh meat last week. He worked the Monday and quit.

The other one could not start until this week as last week he was off camping in Jersey with the Explorers. The jammy bastard spent the week sea kayaking, sailing, getting pissed with a big campfire, just tossing it off on the beach. full hikes around Jersey etc with his mates. He also turned up in a pair of well fitted work trousers and not a pair of sagging jeans - that meant that no-one could not give a welcoming wedgie (they get one after the second verbal warning).

Reply to
ARW

What's a "wedgie"?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Sir, I think you have met your challenge with this one.

Next you'll be saying he failed to grab both wires of the 100m drum of cable you just did a 1000V megger test on!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Are you so thick that you have never heard of Google?

Reply to
ARW

Are you sure this was Explorers and not Club 18-30??

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

And he does not use this NG or he would know about angle grinders.

Reply to
F Murtz

According to Roy Jenkins, Wonnie's brother.

Reply to
Richard

Not all of them have those as a serviceable part...

Reply to
John Rumm

He was supposedly an electrician not a DIYer.

Reply to
John Rumm

In principle none. However in this case the box was not really designed to be sunk. If you were going to sink it, then why not bring the power feed in through the back of the box rather than as a lash up from the front.

Also he drilled the box for mounting screws when there was no need. He did not seal the cable entry. He earthed a plastic box!, and did not apparently think it worthwhile allowing for an earth connection to the socket itself.

[snip tale of dodgy wiring]

You still can mostly.

Pretty much - also changing a consumer unit. You can also do stuff like that under a building notice.

You are better disconnecting an unwanted feed at he supply end. However you can also do it at the far end. The wires need to be terminated and enclosed. So a junction box with nothing else connected is ok. A bit of chock block and some insulating tape is not.

No, like for like changes are permitted even in a special location.

Only in management does it do that ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

The correct answer:-)

Reply to
ARW

I gave you first slap. You missed. Why are you still living on that stinking pikey council estate? Low wages perhaps? Sparks are two a penny these days. When are you going to get the guts to stand on your own two feet?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Well he must have had false ID as he had only just turned 16.

It is not just me that says he has potential. Others have said the same and he has only done 5 days with us.

Reply to
ARW

I think that was a second feed out to some lights ...

Reply to
Andy Burns