How to Install Tyvek over existing Windows?

How do you install tyvek when there are existing windows?

I am getting ready to reside my house with vinyle siding and will pulling all of the old T1-11 off. I am going to rap the house with tyvek but cannot for the life of me figure out duponts instructions for installing tyvek over existing windows (actually I haven't found anything about installing over existing windows). The previous owner had replced the windows with jeldwen vinyle windows but I am not sure they have flashed them correctly. It looks like they just put silicon caulk down under the window flanges, screwed into place and then put ice dam over the flanges.

I just want to do this correctly but am having a problem finding the right answers. I know that it would have been best to have the tyvek under the windows but I am not removing all the windows to do this. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

OR

Reply to
ORWildfire

It should be fairly obvious. You wrap a whole wall with Tyvek, then you cut out the part that is over the glass and the frame but leave it over the window flanges. Tape the cut edges to the window flange/frame. Depending on exactly what the ice dam looks like, the Tyvek needs to go under it.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Don't rap it too hard or you can shake the wall and break things in the cupboards.

If you want to seal the house, wrap it with the Tyvek. With no window in place it is easy to cut and wrap into the opening, but since you can't do that, you just cut the openings close to the window. It should be over the window flanges and if you are using trim for the siding, it will go over the Tyvek.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
buffalobill

For taping the tyvek, pella makes great tape available at Lowes or Home depot.... I forget which one but look for the display of Pella windows and they should have the tape. Also visit pella site and download instructions on installing their doors or windows. That should give you a good idea of what you are trying to accomplish.

Reply to
Art

replying to buffalobill, Nick wrote:

to Install Tyvek