Odd Dyson fault

We have a handheld rechargeable Dyson that mostly works very well. Recently it has started to seem like its battery is dying.

It lives on its charger under the stairs all the time but it?s started to ?die? after just 10-15 seconds of use and displays a flashing blue ?low battery? indicator. The thing is, if I put it back on charge for just 5 seconds it comes back to life and I can get many minutes of use out off it before the battery really runs low.

Anyone else come across this?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Similar. I contacted Dyson about it and they suggested I take out the battery and give the terminals a good clean, both those on the battery itself and up inside the case. Much to my surprise, it improved things significantly, but it's beginning to play up again now, so maybe time for another clean...

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Mine keeps stopping and starting. I assumed it was an obstruction but I cannot see any. I cleaned the filter recently. It only seems to happen on the high power setting. Any ideas.

Reply to
Scott

Pull out the long conical filter (purpley blue thing on the top) and give it a good wash and dry. Our bungs up about once a year and gives similar symptoms.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

I wouldn't leave a lithium ion battery on charge the whole time because a full charge stresses the battery and shortens its life, although that doesn't really account for your symptoms.

Reply to
Pamela

My friend refuses to accept this and insists her laptop is plugged on all the time, even when using it. Maybe laptops are more sophisticated.

She did the same with the cordless vacuum cleaner and the battery failed in quite a short period.

Reply to
Scott

We've had 2 of those pieces of durge. Absolute crap after the first 12 to 18 months.

Fortunately bought the first one from Cost-Co but the battery died within the year so we took it back to for a refund and bought a new one to replace it. Same thing a year later, blue light battery fault.

Dyson in their infinite wisdom have made the batteries a non-user serviceable component (soldered in situ apparently). The Dyson rep in PC World told us it was done to prevent "old ladies" from worrying about replacing or "removing to recharge" battery packs but one could pay £80 and an engineer would come along and replace the battery but you couldn't buy it to do yourself.

I suggested that it was an appalling design and any engineer with half a brain would make the battery pack replaceable at a fair price which might facilitate users to even purchase a 2nd battery to re-charge.

Dyson Rep. insisted it was company policy to have the battery as non-removeable and would I be interested in the Dyson V10 cordless? To which I replied "No, it's alright thanks I wouldn't touch Dyson cordless ever again, I've taken the 2nd unit back to CostCo and replaced it with an AirRam with removable battery pack"

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I had something similar in a well used one about three years old, took it to be a dead battery. Mine is one of the ones where the battery is easily removed. I didn't think the price was too silly.

Reply to
newshound

Mine hangs on its charger. I kind of assume that Dyson's scientists know how to make "safe" chargers.

Reply to
newshound

Thanks. That sounds plausible. I?ll give it a go.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

There will be an obstruction somewhere if it?s pulsing regularly on and off. Check the rubber flap at the base of the main ?tool socket?. It?s designed to stop dirt falling out of the canister when you hang it up but is prone to blockages. If it?s not that, check your filters.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Maybe wrongly, I trust that with the amount Dyson charge, they?ll have put reasonably decent battery charging control circuitry in it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Not all cordless vacuum cleaners are created equal. ;-). Your typical cheap ?Dustbuster? type handheld do seem to die quickly if left on charge in my experience.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It?s not that. I?m very familiar with the regular on/off pulsing that a blockage causes. Mine doesn?t pulse.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

They are. Massively more sophisticated.

Reply to
mm0fmf

hahahahha

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you mean stopping and starting on a 1 second or so duty cycle, that's what the one (V8 Animal) our daughter bought us and has since borrowed back. ;-)

I showed her how to wash clean the main filter when it started doing as I mention above as it ran ok without it. However, after washing and drying the filter she said it was still doing the same so when up there last I took the canister off, and there was quite a bit of hair between the main intake and the canister ports. Cleared them out and now it's running fine again.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

Whilst it does, it's a toss up between (and already short) run-time in use and battery life.

Some laptops (and some (/most / all?) EV's, have the ability to limit the maximum charge to say 80% (of maximum capacity) to make the battery last longer, at the expense of a shorter run-time.

The minimum charge cutoff is pretty common on most BMS's, including the cells themselves in some cases.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Sounds like a fault in the charger, or maybe the battery is on the way out and confusing the charging system, ie going down when its fully charged with no load and the charger is not set to notice until its removed and replaced again. If you know how long it takes to fully charge, try that long before you need it removing it and then replacing it on the charger. It then is pretty certain the battery is self discharging if it works. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Hmm, still think ome cell in the stack is self discharging. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)