Dyson

Latest advert says they are no longer going to develop corded vacuums. Not wanting a slanging match between the Pro-Henry - Anti-Dyson lobby, but it does seem rather surprising given the limited power density of a compact battery. Also - I wonder what the life of the batteries is like?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

We've had an early Dyson cordless for a few years, it gets a fair bit of use and the battery capacity shows no obvious decay. We bought one for one of the kids when he bought his first flat and will easily do the whole place on one charge. We have a Henry and a mains Dyson too, but then it's a large dirty house with numerous dogs.

Reply to
newshound

vacuums.

Maybe to do with their dispute with the EU on power v suction ratings for bagged rivals. EU only measure with new bags.

Reply to
Reentrant

Someone who will stump up for a not-very-good-but-trendy vacuum cleaner isn't going to worry about how long it lasts. Dyson knows this.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Which? and many others would disagree with you about performance. And I reckon their quality has gone up since they moved their production East. Whether this is from design or assembly I would not like to say.

And personally, I don't do trendy.

Reply to
newshound

Clive Arthur wrote in news:pa0pmu$388$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I like the way an upright give the carpets a groomed appearance and feel If I wanted a DIY Dust Extractor / Clean up tool then I would get a Henry.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

DerbyBorn was thinking very hard :

They are usually rated to last up to 1000 full recharges. Experience of some laptops, suggests they might survive with careful use around 24 months.

The battery vacs I might buy to pick up the odd bits, but it seems an expensive way to pick up those, so I will stick with a proper corded one for now with a decent powered beater/brush.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've had mine since 1998. It still works well.

Reply to
S Viemeister

No one I know who has a Dyson does trendy.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Do I read that as, we are going to buy in corded ones and stick our name on them? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I can find no evidence of the claim made by the OP

are you sure it isn't just an April fool

tim

Reply to
tim...

Our Dyson handheld (v8) does the whole house from top to bottom on a single charge. It is more powerful than our old Dyson upright. It came with 3 powered beater bars. A narrow one ideal for stairs, a full width one for carpets, and a further one for flat flooring.

It is wise to actually bone up on what you are going to comment on before spouting what you *think* you know.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Dyson himself was in the ad saying no more mains powered developments. As rather obviously, there is more profit in cordless. And even more profit in selling replacement batteries or more likely a new cleaner when the battery fails, as it will.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Can you read?

Or do you just look at the pretty pictures.

The question was about battery *life*.

Have you had this dyson 2+ years?

It is wise to actually bone up on what you are going to comment on before spouting what you *think* you know.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just looked up mine (DC 59), we have had it 25 months. As I said before, battery capacity still seems fine.

Reply to
newshound

All that says is your mains Dyson is crap.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My Panasonic upright is getting on for 30 years old. And still does the job it was built for. I've got better things to spend my money on than having the latest fashion in Hoovers. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, 18 months with no degradation - it is a Lithium Zinc technology, different from laptop batteries. The battery is REPLACEABLE.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

You are not forced to buy a Dyson - I am sure Hoovers, goblins, vax's, and hooray Henrys will be available forever for those that actually prefer them.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

James Dyson Guarantees 15-Year Battery Life On the latest v10 handheld.

Reply to
Andy Bennet