Dyson

That is not 24 months, so does not refute what you replied to.

- it is a Lithium Zinc technology,

Straw man

Straw man

The battery is REPLACEABLE.

Straw man.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah the emotional response of the true fanboi who has bought the marketing bollocks and swallowed it hook line and sinker.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Probably easiest if you just rub sticks together for fire and crawl back in your cave.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Dyson products have some innovative (but overpriced) engineering features that the other products eventually copy.

A bit like Apple really good quality product with premium pricing.

I think their fans are rather more rip off than the vacuums.

Reply to
Martin Brown

At least 4 in our case.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Odd, then, that this is what the Dyson site says:-

************

Your Dyson guarantee

We don?t stop caring about our machines once they?re yours. We offer a guarantee on parts and labour for five years on our upright and cylinder vacuums, and two years on cordless machines, hair dryers, purifiers, fans and fan heaters.

When you buy from dyson.co.uk, you can choose to register your guarantee automatically, so you won't have to fill in any more forms.

**************

By offering a shorter warranty on the more expensive cordless models they are admitting they won't last as long as the mains ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have you actually tried out all other cordless vacuums on the market for some time before being taken in by Dyson advertising?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are a few of the Dyson hand-helds around the family, all quite old now, although I don't have one. They are all on their original batteries, with no sign of decaying.

I've had a few brought in to repair events with supposedly dead batteries, but that was never the cause. In one, they had sucked up something wet at some point, which cause the dust to set solid in the first cyclone and block the exit holes. The fan ran for a few seconds and stopped, which lead the owners to think the battery was dead, but it was actually cutting out due to no air flow. Cleaned the solid dust out, and it worked fine.

Second one was filthy and I presume used for DIY - it had dust everywhere including where it doesn't get sucked in operation. The cause was dust on the battery connectors.

So I've never seen a portable Dyson withy a dead battery.

Personally, I like the dust capacity of the older mains ones - I don't like that they've reduced the dust canister capacity on new ones, and the hand-helds are inevitably tiny in that respect.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Not a guarantee but Dyson has been quoted as saying

?Fifteen years of daily use might get you down to 80% battery,? he said at a roundtable discussion with journalists after the New York City unveiling. He added: ?But by then you?ll probably want to upgrade to our new model anyway.?

Robin

Do wonder how you can improve on perfection? Given every Dyson always has been perfect? ;-)

I'm old and ugly enough to want a warranty in writing. Not some off the cuff remark by one of the world's best salesmen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Could be quite a crafty move . Battery vacuum cleaners are excluded from the EU power limits and although that may not apply here after a few years it could mean Dyson could introduce a cordless vacuum cleaner that although it would not have the endurance of a corded one given the right battery could be more powerful for a period , and then swap the battery for a charged one if you don?t have time to allow for a recharge.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Lithium Zinc? Seems unlikely.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

But if he only offers a two year guarantee on cordless machines, what's the point in owning say a four year old machine which has become uneconomic to repair, despite its being fitted with a battery which still has a further 11 years of useful life left in it. ?

It almost as if Dyson is taking the piss.

Unless he offers identical guarantees on all the component of a particular appliance, then claims concerning the longevity of one particular component are not only meaningless but potentially misleading. As such a claim might well be to anybody who didn't check Dyson's guarantees too carefully.

michael adams

michael adams

Everyone is totally focussed on the battery life, so James Dyson suggests a guarantee on the battery of 15 years. Presumably to quell Joe Publics major fears about battery powered devices. Same applies to electric vehicles - everyone is concerned about perceived battery longevity. Our Renault Zoe only has a vehicle warranty of 4 years, same as most other European cars. But the battery has a warranty period of 8 years. Unlike you, I don't think that is pointless - every car I have ever owned has lasted at least 3 times longer than the original warranty period before getting expensive to repair.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

You quoting Dyson? Seems unlikely to me when I've just posted a quote of him saying that they'll be better models coming...

I don't question any of that. I only posted as you questioned Andy's reference to 15 years.

Reply to
Robin

Selling extra user guides for £3 each, rather than making a .PDF available, like any normal manufacturer?

Reply to
Andy Burns

All Dyson manuals are available online in pdf format. For free.

Andy Bennet

Which ones can't be downloaded from ?

Reply to
Robin

But it can be seen as just as much a ploy to distract their attention from the questionable durability of his portable products, given he's only willing to offer a two year guarentee on them.

That effectively is what a two years guarentee implies. The manufacturer has no real confidence in their long term durability. So he bangs on about the batteries instead.

In the case of your car the the battery has guarentee period *twice* that of the vehicle guarantee.

In "suggesting" a battery guarentee of 15 years Dyson is offering one which is

*seven and a half* times that of the product.

Seven and a half, as against twice.

Basically if Dyson was as confident of the durability of his product as are Renault of their cars - and cars are far more complex and can expect to encounter a far greater range of testing conditions that battery powered appliances, then he should be offering a seven and a half year guarentee on his portable products. Not two.

Your analogy also fails to take into account the positioning of Renault Cars and Dyson appliances in the respective price ranges for equivalent products

michael adams

michael adams

Fair point ... although having owned (still own) an old Dyson upright which must be pushing 18 years old, I can vouch for the fact it has been reliable and not needed any repairs. May be I am lucky.

Reply to
Andy Bennet