Flashlight Test

Just got my box from Harbor Freight (

) and it contained my 2 AA cell miniature flash light. Catalog number 3852-8JMA, costing $1.99 for the flash light. Incidentally, there was shipping costs on the order.

And here is what I found....

The light is 6 3/4 inches over all. Slightly longer than a mini mag which is

5 3/4. This is a concern. A mini mag fits nicely in my bathrobe pocket. And also in my front pants pocket. The inch longer light would not fit in either of these pockets.

The batteries supplied were the cheapie carbon cells. Panasonic. Good brand, though.

The brand of light is "Gordon" which I've not heard of that brand. There is a sticker which instructs me to always wear safety glasses. It further instructs me not to remove the sticker. Wonder if the same folks that arrested me for removing my tag from my matress would get me if I removed this sticker? I don't want to find out, the Department of Matress Tags guys sure play rough.

The on off switch is a push button on the side. The light turns on when I lift my thumb off the button, so it does not have "instant on" or momentary contact.

The lens is adjustable, spot to flood. The lens is round, so it doesn't have the 8 sided "won't roll off the table" design.

The bulb appears to be the same bi-pin bulb which is used by Mini-Mag. I didn't see if they are interchangable, but very likely are.

The tail cap did contain a spare bulb. I pounded and whacked the tail cap, and could not get the bulb out. I needed a mini pair of needle nose pliers to get the bulb out. I did not try my Leatherman pliers -- they might be too big.

They did provide a nylon belt case for the light. The belt case appears to be the same design as the Mini Mag case, it seems a bit short for the Gordon light. Makes me wonder if the light would fall out easily. I've got enough stuff on my belt already, didn't try it.

The filament bulb should be EMP safe, if you are concerned about having a light after a nuclear explosion.

I'm going to put a couple of these lights in my glove compartments, tool boxes, etc.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Subject: Flashlight Test Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => Stormin Mormon And here is what I found....

Who gives a shit?

Really dood.... You wrote an essay about a lousy 2 dollar flashlight.

Reply to
G. Morgan

/snip/

Thanks for the review - will pick up a couple next time I'm at HF.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Do you really want to put carbon batteries in your $35.00 TV remote and have them leak or that $2.00 flashlight?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Finally a reason to go on living. Thanks for saving my life today.

Reply to
Sam O'Nella

The test you need for your flash light is to put it to your ear in a dark room.

If you see light coming out the other side, there's a problem.

A lot of that problem is in your sig file...

Reply to
HeatMan

Hi, I am done with bulbs. Time for LED flash lights. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Can you spell T R O L L ?????

Reply to
Ross Mac

lol

Thanks!

with led flashlights in existence now, regular flashlights are obsolete due to their high usage of batteries, no wonder they're being given away

for example, this led flashlight takes 2 aa batteries and "This light provide up to 20 times longer battery life than standard flashlights. LED bulbs last up to 100,000 hours (over 11 years) of continuous use with change of batteries. Constructed of tough ABS plastic with rubber grips. Water and shock proof!"

a small pocket size lithium battery operated led flashlight
were you aware the end user (consumer) can legally remove the tags from mattresses? grounds for false arrest?

Reply to
effi

Subject: Re: Flashlight Test Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => effi

ohhhh, realllllyyyy???

Another idiot to add to the BOZO bin......

Reply to
G. Morgan

Subject: Re: Flashlight Test Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => effi illiterate men make joy jelly in my mouth for pleasure

Quit emiling me. I'll call the cops, you sick f*ck.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Can't wait for your write-up of Walgreen Deluxe Fingernail Clippers.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Tomorrow I do a review of Q-tips and other brands of cotton swabs. Lets see where I put that file......

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's obvious to me that we have different interests. I sure hope you enjoy your life as much as I enjoy mine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've got some LED lights. But for a tool box where I'll use the light once a year, these will do.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You're welcome.

Reply to
HeatMan

Yeah, your 'wanna be HVAC' toolbox?

Reply to
HeatMan

Stormin,

Thanks for the review. It was a bit off topic in a home repair group, but I'd certain rather read a review about a Harbor Freight bargain than to read the

9,000th admonition from some HVAC guy telling us we are all too stupid to fix our own furnaces and AC units.

What I really don't understand is why people bother to read a thread titled "Flashlight Test" if they don't want to read about a flashlight test and they are going to whine and moan after reading it.

Regarding Harbor Freight (and Homier Tools and Cummins Tools, etc.) - there is certainly some junk, but there are a lot of great bargain tools. Especially the tools which we amateurs use somewhat infrequently. I've spent a lot of money with these bargain tool companies and my satisfaction level has been at least 95%. And when I'm not satisfied with a purchase, they always give me a refund.

I'll going to a Harbor Freight retail store today and I'll check out the flashlights if they have them. Of course, I do agree that LED lights are the preferred tool.

Gideon